Chapter Twenty-Three

Crossing Paths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He spent days wondering where she was.

Da Eun ever came to the soccer games that week and Sunggyu was unsure of the reason why. Perhaps she got bored of watching the games. Perhaps she enjoyed watching football more or perhaps she had something else she needed to do. Perhaps she was hanging out with Jieun. Sunggyu just hoped she hadn’t gotten bored of the games. He hoped she hadn’t gotten bored of their walks in the sunset.

Sunggyu sighed as he walked to the bus stop. He still hadn’t rode the subway nor was he planning on it. So he would take the long way home by riding the bus. It was quite silly, some would think. But Sunggyu had developed a fear of the subway and he wasn’t planning on riding one for a long time.

Sunggyu was about to board the bus when he saw familiar brown hair. He noticed she was wearing her favourite blue hairband with the black boots she insisted were still in style in the summer time. It was Da Eun, the girl Sunggyu had spent the entire soccer game thinking about.

“Da Eun!” Sunggyu called out as he lightly jogged to her.

Da Eun didn’t reply, instead she went down nearby stairs into the subway station. Sunggyu was about to follow her before he realized where she was going. But his curiosity took over him and Sunggyu had to know why Da Eun had been so aloof lately.

Da Eun walked into the train and took a seat next to somebody leaving no room for Sunggyu—not that she knew he was following her. Sunggyu reluctantly took a seat in front of her and was more than glad the train was already there. He knew he would be too scared to watch the train arrive. That left plenty of room for somebody to jump in front of it again.

Da Eun kept her eyes down on the floor of the train. She held her backpack in her hands and rested her head against the plastic window next to her. Sunggyu mimicked her actions, watching her throughout the entire ride. She didn’t look up once nor did she move.

○●○●○

The last stop for the train came and everybody who was still in the train made their way out. Everybody aside from Da Eun and Sunggyu. Surprisingly, Da Eun stayed in her seat, not noticing that the train became completely empty at this point.

After a while the train began riding back to where it came from. Sunggyu finally decided to get Da Eun’s attention since the train was completely empty at this point.

“Da Eun,” He called out.

No reply.

“Da Eun,” He tried once again.

When he got no form of reply, Sunggyu went and sat beside her. He then poked her on the cheek and whispered her name in her ear.

“Huh?” Da Eun asked as if she just woke up.

When she saw Sunggyu’s face right next to her’s, she was surprised. She let out a small gasp and looked around the train to find that it was completely empty.

“Where did everybody go?” She asked.

“We rode all the way to the last stop on the subway yet you didn’t notice?” Sunggyu smirked. “They’re gone, we’re riding back now.”

“Oh…” Da Eun said as she looked around. “What are you doing here?”

“I followed you,” Sunggyu sheepishly admitted.

“You’re weird,” Da Eun said as she furrowed her eyebrows. “Why did you follow me?”

“I was bored,” Sunggyu shrugged. “Why haven’t you been coming to soccer games?”

Da Eun completely forgot about the soccer games. She was too busy being upset at Jieun.

“I forgot,” Da Eun lamely replied, knowing full well that her excuse was horrible and that Sunggyu wouldn’t believe her.

“I see.”

The two sat in silence, watching as the train kept riding through the darkness of the tunnel. They sat side-by-side, their shoulders touching slightly. They both let out small steady breaths and that was how their train ride passed.

○●○●○

“I’ll walk you home,” Sunggyu told Da Eun.

“You don’t have to. It’s late, you should get home,” Da Eun urged.

“I’m going to walk you home whether you like it or not,” Sunggyu chuckled.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter