Chapter 2

The Bucket List

                My lungs were pretty cooperative today, it didn’t hinder me from escaping. Well, I easily got my ticket to Rome, Italy. Perks of having a rich family. After almost 4yrs of not traveling overseas, here I come! The excitement was all over me. I’m finally departing from my family. So this is what freedom feels like? It’s A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

                After hours of traveling, I finally reached Italy. The land I have always dreamed to visit! My family always wanted to go here but I promised myself not to go here with my family. I wanted to go here by myself. And here I am! I can’t stop thinking about how excited and nervous I am at the same time. I might die here, I thought. But I’m dying anyway. And perhaps, Italy would be the best place to die! Leaving China was absolutely insane for me. I’m getting a life here, though!

                I walk slowly dragging my baggage at the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport in Rome, Italy. I turned my head to see the entire airport. Its awesomeness gives me butterflies in my stomach. I got a taxi right away.

                “Please bring me to a nice hotel here.” I said to the taxi driver.

                “Ciao! Tourist here?” The taxi driver asked.

                “Yes, it’s my first time here.” I answered smiling.

                I brought my Polaroid camera and took as many picture as I can. I once loved photography. But when I had my dreadful cancer, I never touched it again. Not until now.

                “I think this is the best hotel here, miss. There’s a shopping mall there if you want to shop.” He offered.

                “I think this is good. Thank you so much!” I paid the fare and he helped me carry my baggage inside the lobby.

                I checked in and rest for a while. I shall regain my energy for tomorrow will be a big day! I’ll start my tour. I closed my eyes and fell asleep at once.

                I woke up to the sound of the door.

                “Room service?” A girl asked while knocking three times.

                “No, thank you” I slightly shouted.

                It’s still cold here. It’s better for me. I can’t be dehydrated. I realized I didn’t brought any cold suits. I guess I gotta go shopping today. Surprisingly, my parents hadn’t called me yet. They didn’t cut off my credit cards, did they?

                I went out on a sunny but breezy day outside. Let’s explore Rome! I carried my oxygen tank, in case I’ll be needing it. I don’t wanna die on my first day here. I shop at the nearest mall for some outfits I might use in every number on my list. Amazing signature clothes! My sister, Krystal will love it here I thought. I took a picture of the boutiques and sent it to her through iMessage. And less than a minute she called me.

                “HEY! WHY DIDN’T YOU BRING ME WITH YOU!” She started.

                I laughed, “hey it’s expensive calling here! I’ll hang up!”

                She messaged me instead saying “I’m coming over!”

I didn’t reply. I want to be alone and be free! I started walking and buying. Swipe here, swipe there. I can’t even carry the clothes I bought. I started to walk back into the hotel before my lungs start being uncooperative. I walk slowly, breathe the air of Rome and feel the cold breeze.

                A guy running really fast caught my eyes for a moment. I stopped and stared at him as he move swiftly in my direction, will he bump me or what? And finally! He bump the shopping bags I was holding, I nearly fell on the ground. I was infuriated by his carelessness and glared at him when I saw a girl covered with blanket chasing after him.

                “Oh shoot! I’m sorry. I’m really sorry!” The guy said to me at a distance and picked up the shopping bags.

                “Nick!” the girl in blanket screamed! “Who is she?!”

                Nick? So his name is Nick. Oh no. I’m doomed. The guy suddenly placed his arm around me. I was really shocked. What is happening here? I’m not supposed to be in this situation.

                “Please help me. Let me do the talking” Nick whispered as the girl was hastily approaching.

                “What the hell?” I whispered back.

                The girl finally stopped. She was panting really hard. And then she began crying.

                “I’m sorry Agatha, she’s…” he stutter for a moment “C-Caroline and she’s pregnant.”

                I was in complete shock. ME?! PREGNANT?!

                “Hey, look… I don’t-” I started

                “I’m the father. I’m really sorry I love her so much. Last night was a mistake.” He answered.

                “I-I real-” I tried to utter

                “CURSE YOU!!!!!” Agatha began crying and shouting at the same time while backing off.

Nick removed his arm around me as soon as Agatha left. I still can’t process what just happened. I looked at him curiously. He carried my baggage, all of my baggage plus my oxygen tank.

                He stared back and said “Let me help you with these. To where, madam?”

I can’t believe his confidence of actually talking to me like nothing happened.

                “What was that act?” I finally asked.

                “That girl doesn’t know casual hook up. That’s why she began chasing after me. Crazy. Come on! Where-”

                “I am pregnant?” I interrupted with another question.

                “Look, I’m really sorry. I know I should’ve not dragged you any further. But I really need to escape. Please understand. Is that your hotel? I’m pretty sure you’re a tourist.” He answered.

I pointed at my hotel and we began walking. It was awkward. It’s my first time walking on the streets with a stranger. Nick was hot, I cannot deny that fact. He was tall, muscular and fit. He wore a white fitted shirt and a camouflage pants. He looked nice but he’s a player. Casual hook up? Is he a maniac? What does he actually mean by that? I’m very sure that he’s not Italian. We finally reached the lobby of the hotel.

                “Thank you.” I uttered.

                He winked and saluted at me and left.

                “Uh-Nick!” I called “Nick, right?”

                “Yes, how did you know?” He asked giving me a half smile.

                I originally wanted to ask him to eat lunch with me but I just smiled and said “nothing! Take care!”

                That was extremely weird. He might be thinking I like him! Never. I’m not here to have a tiny little crushy with someone who just said that I’m pregnant.

                “Hmmm… suspicious. What’s your name, miss?” He asked.

                “I’m Victoria!” I shouted back.

                “Nice to meet you, Victoria!”

He gave me a full smile and waved. He left at once after that. Well, well, well. Will I ever see him again? Maybe not. I went to my room again and changed clothes. I wore the clothes I just bought and started to write my itinerary for today.

After writing here’s to my list:

  1. St. Peter’s Basilica
  2. Basilica of St. John Lateran
  3. Sistine Chapel
  4. Trevi Fountain
  5. Colosseum

Alone? I thought. Of course. It’s kind of nostalgic. I miss my mom, dad, 2 sisters. But being able to do something myself after so long is an accomplishment. “Let’s get going!” I said. I called a taxi and paid it to be my tourist guide for the day.

                I took a lot of pictures at the beautiful sceneries. I have only seen these on pictures and now it’s actual! Now, it’s real!

                “Miss, why are you traveling alone?” the taxi driver asked.

                “I just want to.” I simply answered.

                It was cool learning so much from the taxi driver. He was continuously lecturing me about the ancient buildings here. I was listening but not paying attention much. My eyes, heart and mind were captured by the scene.

                It’s nearly evening. The sun is setting again. My last destination was the Colosseum. It was better than any picture I have. Let’s call it a day. It was fast and fun! Having the chance to travel Vatican City and Rome! It’s time for dinner. I paid the taxi driver and ate at the fine dining near the Colosseum. I ordered my favorite Seafood Marinara and some Red Wine. I tried to taste some of their best seller dessert it’s a good looking Tiramisu. Ahh! Surely, this is going to be amazing. And so I ordered.

                Staring blankly at the window while waiting for my food to be served I saw a man walking holding a beer. It looks like Nick. I chuckled as I looked at him. Until it became clear to me that it was really Nick! I ran outside leaving my things on the table and called him.

                “Hey!” I shouted.

                He looked at me and tried to figure out who I was. Maybe he forgot already? But it was just this morning when we met. And how could he possibly forget that big scandalous act?

                “Hey” he finally said.

                “Hey” I said again. Not knowing what to say next.

                “Are you stalking me?” He giggled at his own assumption.

                He’s drunk. I thought.

                “Do you want to eat there?” I pointed and offered nicely.

                “I don’t have money for that fine dining.”

                “Let it be my treat.” I offered again. Tying to be friends with him.

                He didn’t responded and walked towards me, he grabbed my hand and we went inside the restaurant. He asked for a menu which they gave to him quickly. He started ordering by pointing numerous dishes. Can he eat that all? I thought. the waiter looked at me and I just nodded. Maybe he’s really hungry.

                “Well, I’m so sorry for wasting your money.” He said and took a bottoms up.

                “Excuse me, are you drunk?” I asked.

                “I can’t be drunk with one bottle only.” he answered

I can smell the beer out of his mouth, I didn’t like it. But I was a bit concerned. He must be experiencing something rough.

                “Do you –by chance- have any problem?” I asked again trying to break the awkwardness.

                “I do. I got kicked off to work just this morning. Remember that girl Agatha? She happened to be my boss’s daughter.” He laughed.

                “I’m sorry to hear that.”

                “Don’t be. It’s okay. Thank you for your treat. I never tried eating here. I’ve been here in Rome for almost 3 years now and I haven’t dined in such expensive restaurant.” He said “So, tourist right? Why are you alone?”

                Three years? Just like my cancer, 3 years old.

                “Uh, I came here for a purpose of fulfilling my bucket list.” I said and took a sip of water.

                “Bucket list? Too early huh.” He took off his bonnet “or perhaps?”

                Getting what he means by perhaps I answered “no, no. I’m not yet dying. I just want to accomplish it before I go to work.”

                I don’t want others to look at me with pity or anything just because I have cancer. And so I lied.

                “Oh! Good to know. So accomplishing it so far?”

                He’s really a good talker. He knows how to continue a conversation. “Yes, I visited the famous tourist spots here. I just arrived late yesterday.”

                “I’m sorry, but what’s your name again?”

                “Victoria”

                “Oh! Right! Hi, Victoria!”

                I smiled at him. The food were being served. He looked excited. I was glad to see that he’s having fun in my company.

                “Awesome looking foods” He started “I hope it tastes awesome too!”

                We began eating. He was eating like he hasn’t eaten for 3 days! It was funny. I can’t help it.

                “Hey, don’t laugh.” He said while his mouth was filled with food.

                “I’m not laughing.” I said.

                We continued eating until we’re finally full.

                I thought of something really weird but really sounded cool.

                “Nick, will you be my partner?” I offered.

            

------------------

Author's Note:

Hi again guys! So how did you find this chapter? Do you think Victoria likes Nick? Just a background, I chose Italy because that's really my dream place to go to. While doing this story i can see myself going there too. "some" of the bucket list of Vic here are also part of mine and some are made a little bit OA because Victoria (here in this story) have never experienced that "normal" life. :) So look forward to my next update guys! thank you for reading!