Chapter 6

The Bucket List

                “I don’t think it’s because of your cancer that I can’t resist you.” Nick continued.

It gave me butterflies in my stomach. What does he exactly mean by that? “Then why?” I asked.

                “Didn’t I tell you I don’t know why?” Nick reiterated,

I didn’t asked him anymore. It might annoy him. After all… maybe he just really treat me as his close friend now. I wanted my parents to know about Nick. I mean, Nick is my friend. And I trust him now. I don’t think it’s bad to live with him because even if he’s like that, deep inside, he’s a very warm person. He’s a jerk, yes. But there’s something in him that makes me feel rest assured. I feel secured, trusted and appreciated when I’m with Nick. And that could make my parents worry less.

                I opened my small notebook containing my bucket list. I came across some easy ones, but I wanna jump into the best options. I don’t think I can accomplish this all without being hospitalize or worse, dying. So I have decided to accomplish the top picks in my list.

                “Nick, tomorrow, can we go to the Fountain of Love?” I asked. I have been there, but I want to go back to toss a coin and wish. It may sound stupid to believe in such fairytales, but the idea is just so cute for me. And trying doesn’t kill.

                “Trevi Fountain?” Nick clarified and I nodded excitedly “sure, but don’t tell me you’re going to wish for love?”

                “What’s wrong with that!” I yelled.

                Nick shrugged and said “typical girls. Listen to me, you make your own destiny.”

                “I don’t care, I just wanna try!” I insisted.

                “Whatever you say. Typical ladies like you who believe in love and a soulmate. Nonsense.” He blabbered.

                “Typical guys who only knows how to pick girls based on their looks and does not believe in TRUE LOVE! Boring!” I said.

                “You’re the one who’s boring! What are you waiting? The right guy to arrive? You find YOUR right guy and grab him. That’s how it works!” said Nick who’s turning normal again.

I continued the argument to turn Nick back to normalcy “Of course not! That’s why you don’t end up with someone because you choose the wrong one! But if destiny brought the two of you together that’s the only time the relationship will work!”

                “And what happens if he or she didn’t come? Nothing? Wasted? The thing is, you don’t simply relax in this world where people are all in the game. All competitive. They can take away what’s yours so you should also be competitive!” Nick explained.

                “What’s yours is yours. What’s yours that is taken away, will eventually come back. What’s not yours, even if you keep it and secure it, it will slip away. That’s how you know if something’s yours. You first let it go and when it comes back… it will not be taken away from you anymore. And if doesn’t come back, something better will come.” I elaborated.

                “Wishful thinking, Madam.” Nick answered,

I strongly believe in what I have just said. Because how can you tell something’s yours, right? Fate simply determines it.

                “Well, in speaking of wishes, let me do you another favor.” I said.

                “What favor?” Nick asked.

                “We’re going to Japan next week! Fix your passport and other traveling stuffs. We’re going to accomplish a handful of bucket list!” I said enthusiastically.

                “Seriously? You’re taking me to Japan?” Nick asked, I can see and hear the excitement in his voice.

                “You like it there? Don’t you?” I said. I’ve seen some mangas and animes in his apartment and that made me so sure that like me, he wants to go to Japan.

                “But, we’re going back here in Italy, right?” He asked again.

                “Of course! We’ll stay there for 3 days only. We’ll have an extreme adventure! But I’m not gonna spoil the plans now. You must stay tuned for more!” I announced.

He clapped his hands and said “Alright! JAPAN HERE WE COMEEEEE!” Nick shouted in the clear field.

                The next day, we left Tuscany early in the morning. It has been 3 days of riding train, exhausting indeed. It was a lot of fun though. Especially with Nichkhun. I feel like I knew him more than I knew him before. I should really tell my parents about him already. Returning to Rome, after I go to Trevi Fountain I will sleep all day!!!!

                We soon arrived in Rome after a long train ride from Tuscany. I gathered a lot of picture in just 3 days! I can tell, Nick is really tired of all those transportations. So am I. It’s good to know that my cancer is not really attacking, but then again, it might be a sign of much dreadful symptoms of cancer.

                We dropped by at Trevi Fountain quickly. I threw my favorite coin in the fountain and wished. I wish that before I die, I will meet my prince charming. Someone who can make me fall in love. But I also wish that, that person wouldn’t fall in love with me, because I don’t want to hurt him if I die. I’ll die soon, that’s a fact.

                “Hey! What’s taking you so long?” Nick poked and said.

                “I’m being specific here!” I responded.

                After the Trevi Fountain, we went home and slept all day. We’re both tired and didn’t want to do anything more.

                The next day, Nick prepared our breakfast! But guess what? It’s only CEREALS! This lazy guy! Well, I miss cereals.

                “I’ve already fixed my things for Japan.” Nick said.

                “Wow. Excited?” I sarcastically asked.

                “Well, yes! I love Japanese foods.” He answered.

                “How about your passport and stuffs?”

                “All is well, madam.”

He’s more excited than me! I can’t believe it! I guess, Japan is having us in a few days’ time! I’ll have to call my parents for this plan. So I opened my skype again and called. My mom seems to be online ALL the time! She’s always so attentive!

                “Nick, I’ll introduce you to my parents. I don’t want to lie anymore.” I informed.

And my mom answered “Hi, sweetie! How was your trip?”

                “It was awesome! Mom I need to tell you something. I’m actually living with someone here in Rome. A friend of mine.” I confessed.

                “Who is she?” My mom’s initial assumption: A GIRL.

                “Well, honestly, he’s a GUY.” I replied and then I called Nick “Nick, come here! Show yourself.”

                “OH MY GOD! VICKY! DON’T TELL ME…” She panicked again, I believe.

                “No Mom! I just live in his apartment, but we’re not couples and we didn’t do THAT thing you are thinking.” I explained.

                Nick giggled and I elbowed him.

                “Oh. That’s a relief. Can I interview you for a while, young lad?” Mom asked Nick.

                “Sure, Mrs. Song.” He answered politely. Oh Wow.

                “How long have she been staying in your apartment? And how did you two meet?” My mom started.

                “It’s a long story mom!” I answered for him.

                “Vicky… I’m talking to Nick.” Mom said.

                “Well, we met on the streets by an accident. She actually… saved me from a big trouble one day. And then we met again in a different place later that day. She asked me to join her for dinner, which I accepted. That’s how I met her.” Nick told.

                “We’re JUST friends, mom.” I said.

                “Are you aware of Vicky’s condition?” Mom asked again.

                “I am, ma’am. But I don’t mind.” Nick responded “I think she’s strong.”

                “Would you mind if I talk to my daughter privately?” Mom said. I can feel the bad vibes coming.

                “Sure, Ma’am.” And Nick left.

                “Mom, he’s a really kind guy, he’s not a stranger and if you’re going to tell me that you don’t like him –”

                “I do, like him. He’s handsome, he’s polite, and he looks decent. I’m glad you found someone like him there! It might be lonely traveling ALONE you know.”

                I AM SO SURPRISED!!!!! My mom isn’t usually like this.  She’s over protective and super paranoid! But right now, she’s telling me she likes Nick! I’m so surprised!

                “For real, mommy?” I asked.

                “Yes. Don’t be a burden to him, alright?” Mom reminded.

                “Yes mom! Actually, I was about to ask permission if I could go to Japan the day after tomorrow?”

                “Provided that you’re with Nick. You might get bullied there.”

                WHAAAAAT? If my mom only knows that the person who bullies me the most is actually NICK! It’s hilarious. “Of course, mom!” I answered.

                “Have a safe trip sweetie! I need to go, I have a meeting in a few minutes. Bye, Vicky! Take care of yourself! And thank Nick for being kind to you! I love you!” Mom’s last reminders.

                “Yes, love you too, mommy! Bye!”

                Mom likes Nick. I still can’t believe it!

                After two days of fixing our flight to Japan, We’re finally at the airport! I was wearing my oxygen tank, I felt some breathing problems before we left the house. And as expected, people looking at me with those eyes that pity which it even harder for me to breathe. I feel so annoyed. I tried to calm down and catch my breath.

                Meanwhile, Nick, maybe, noticed it. And so he held my hand then he whispered “Just imagine, you’re unique and they’re all the same.”

                I smiled. I appreciate Nick’s words of wisdom but I can’t help it. I don’t want to be different? I want to be normal. That’s what I thought. After a couple of minutes, we’re finally boarding. 10 hours of flight to Japan. I realized that I’m near China. And my parents can just go to Japan too.

                I closed my eyes to rest and to see no one looking at me.

                I woke up when Nick tapped me. “We’re here.”

                “Japan…” I uttered.

Today, there’s 4 numbers I need to accomplish! I accomplished one already. I arrived in Japan safely. It was 5pm in the afternoon. The three on my list are. #24: Wear Kimono, since I was young I always wanted to wear one. I’ve already worn it before but not in JAPAN. Next is #25: Eat 100 sushi, I just want to challenge myself and for sure Nick wants this! And of course #30: Go to a HOT SPRING. I just want to try that!

                Tokyo is such a crowded place I can say. We first went to Shibuya to shop. I bought some camping stuffs like a tent. And some griller. Nick was wondering why I bought those stuffs but I didn’t tell him why, exactly. Not now. That’s a surprise.

                It’s night time in Tokyo, busy streets and the lights. Awesome, I thought. I’m really famished, maybe it’s time to do the 100 sushi challenge. This time I need to beat Nick! In China, we usually eat dimsum that’s why I’m kinda used to that taste. Japanese food is not really new to me, but eating a hundred sushi in just one sit is VERY new to me.

                “Hey, Nick! Let’s have dinner! I’m challenging you! 100 sushi challenge!”

                Nick laughed with that boastful look again and said “You are challenging me? Seriously? To lose again? Alright. Make it 150!”

                “Make it 200!” I fooled.

                “You can? Sure.”

                “Just kidding!”

Nick laughed at me again. Am I becoming a laughingstock?

                “Let’s go!” Nick ran and I chased after him.

We immediately picked a very nice Japanese restaurant nearby Shibuya. How I love the aroma of Japanese Cuisine. We ordered right away.

                “All kinds of sushi you have, please. 100 pieces in total.” I ordered.

                “Me too. So 200 pieces in all.” Nick said.

The waitress looked so surprised by our order. We both giggled at her facial reaction.

                “Repeating your order, 200 pieces of all kinds of sushi? Is there anything else?” The waitress reiterated.

                “Okinawa milk tea for the both of us. Plus pudding. Thanks!” Nick added.

                “Orders complete. 10-15 minutes serving time.” The waitress said and left.

                “Did you see her reaction?” I asked Nick right away giggling.

                “She was like, what the hell are these people up to?” Nick imitating her face.

                We both laughed hard which again caught the attention of the people eating.

                “GOMENASAI!” Nick shouted and giggled again. (Gomenasai means ‘sorry’ in Japanese)

                “So you speak Japanese now? Cool huh!” I complimented.

                “I know a little because of the mangas and animes I grew up with.” Nick explained.

After about 15 minutes, the sushi arrived! We’re both looking at it intently and was craving to eat it all. It was so nice looking! Makes me crave even more! The orders were served and we both grabbed our chopsticks…. And BOOM! We began eating like there’s no tomorrow left!

                It was really hilarious seeing Nick eating like 5 sushi in one bite. Eating monster I thought. I continued eating quickly, without even really noticing the different taste of each sushi. I just wanted to win this challenge! Sounds lame, but I mean it.

                After eating about 40 sushi I feel like throwing up. Nick was nearly done.

                “I give up.” I said while my mouth is full.

                “Come again?” Nick said before taking the last 3 sushi on his plate. REALLY A MONSTER!

                “I can’t eat anymore. I’m so full. I feel like vomiting!” I said.

                “You lose.” Nick said and began helping me eat everything.

After that epic night of eating sushi, we both went back to the hotel were staying for tomorrow is another day.

                The next morning, we dressed up simply due to plans. Well, still in Tokyo. We went to a kimono shop. I just want to wear one. And take a picture of it. So Nick accompanied me and he was the one selecting what should I try. And so I did. Just like the first time we met. He picked three different color, one is pink, the other is green and lastly, white. I wore it all and he liked the white one the best.

                The shop owner asked me if I would like them to fix my hair for a much Japanese feeling. And I excitedly accepted it. They were fixing my hair like a true Japanese girl and putting some light make up. Nick was just waiting for me outside of the dressing area.

                After a couple of minutes I came out. And called Nick “Hey! Look!” I turned around slowly. “Is it beautiful? I love it. Do I look like a Japanese now?” I joked.

                Nick nodded and said “Wow. Konnichiwa, Victoria-chan!”

                I giggled “I just love this!” I looked at myself in the mirror. Wow, it fits perfectly.

                “Sir, why don’t you try wearing a kimono too?” The Japanese shop owner offered.

                “No. no need. I’m just accompanying her to buy a kimono.” Nick rejected the offer.

                I pulled his hand and insisted “Come on!!!! Just try it!”

                “No.” Nick said adding weight to himself.

                I pulled harder.

                “Fine! Ugh. You spoiled brat.” Nick got up and took the pair of that white kimono I’m wearing.

I giggled at him. And after a couple of minutes waiting too… Nick finally came out! WOOOOOOW!! It fits perfectly too! It’s so amazing!

                “You look handsome!” I said.

                “I always do.” Typical Nichkhun.

                “Do you want to take a picture together in the garden studio we have at the back? We offer 3 free shots of every purchase.” The owner offered again.

                “Let’s go!!!!” I excitedly drag Nick to the direction the girl was leading.

                It was a small Japanese inspired garden. The owner gave me some props like a Japanese umbrella. It’s cute. We took our picture in the small bridge in that beautiful petite garden. We look awesome. As if we’re getting married or whatever. I wish my future lover can take me here also someday. If I still have time to live.

                After a few minutes the photographer gave us the pictures. Really cool!!! I just love it! After dressing up to normalcy we bought the kimonos and went to a hot spring resort. Its name is Minakami Onsen. Can’t wait to relax there!

                We traveled there, it’s just around Tokyo but it’s located in a foot of a mountain. Cool place to stay! We went in and of course parted ways, I went in to the ladies side and Nick to the gentlemen side. It’s a Japanese tradition to take off everything you are wearing (yes, including your bra and underwear) inside the hot spring. And so I did.

                Nick shouted at the other side of the wall “Victoria!”

                I feel kinda embarrassed but there’s just few girls inside about 4-5 ladies. So I shouted back. “Nichkhun!”

                “I’m alone here!!!” Nick shouted again.

                I giggled “POOR YOU!” I teased.

                “CAN I GO THERE?” He shouted back.

Some girls began to panic or whatever. It’s pretty funny, maybe they’re thinking Nick’s a maniac. And some didn’t react, maybe they didn’t understand English. They are Japanese!

                “SHUT UP AND RELAX, YOU IDIOT!” I teased again.

                I closed my eyes and relax. Nick was still alone, I guess, he’s still noisy.

---------------------------

Author's Note:

JAPAN TRIP for this chapter and for the next chapters! :) Hi there, dearest readers! Sorry if i cant update as fast as it should be. but i think 1 chapter a week will do? can you be patient with me? I have some college requirements that I need to accomplish. so yeah, and our schooling will be back in 2 weeks so, maybe i cant write as fast now. Anyway, how do you think of this chapter? can you imagine it? Coz, i cannn! :) :"> ahhh! Thank you guys! dont forget to leave your comments! xo