Chapter 8

The Bucket List

                Early morning it was again, very awkward. Do I wish we kissed last night? Oh Victoria, silly mind! Why does Nick want to kiss me last night? A lot of question continuously popping up my mind. Nick was fixing everything as we leave and go to our next destination. We’re headed back to Tokyo for the Cherry Blossom Festival! We are going to Kitanomaru Park, it’s one of the famous cherry blossom spot in Japan. We’ll be canoeing there.

                It’s a long drive back to Tokyo again! But the cherry blossom festival is the last in my list for today. First we are going to Kobe Oji Zoo and see big pandas! I’m so excited! It’s my bucket list #40: Hug a Panda! Then we’re going to drop by Enzan Dai-Kyujo in Kyoto, for some Archery! I used to practice archery before, another wealthy perks, excessive lessons. But again… I stopped since my cancer was a serious thing. I cannot wait to try archery here in Japan! They call it Kyudo here.

                I was trying to keep myself busy in the car to hide the awkwardness I felt. I kept on staring and playing games on my phone. Until finally Nick broke the silence.

                “Hey. I’m not sure if you can hug a panda there.” Nick said.

                “Uh… I don’t care. I will hug them all.” I answered.

Silence filled the car again. We never talked until we reached Kobe Oji Zoo. At the entrance of the Zoo, there was a line of cute preschool students, maybe they’re having their field trip or something. All of them suddenly ran towards the Panda mascot and hugged it. They’re so cute!!! One of them, was crying really hard for whatever reason? Maybe she’s afraid. The teachers tried to calm her but no efeect.

All of a sudden Nick bought an ice cream near the place and gave it to the little girl who was crying. Then he carried the young girl and they ate ice cream together. While staring at them, I was thinking… Nick could be a great dad someday. I went closer to them and started talking to the young girl who just stopped sobbing.

“Are you afraid of the panda?” I asked.

“She doesn’t understand English. She’s Japanese, can’t you see?” Nick said.

“Sorry!” I rolled my eyes.

Nick started speaking few Japanese to the girl. And finally the gates were opened! We can finally see the Pandas inside the Zoo! Nick kissed the little girl’s forehead and we all went there inside. Finally! I saw a panda!

                “Uhm, excuse me, can I go inside the cage and hug atleast one of them?” I asked the Zoo keeper.

                “Oh, no ma’am. It’s impossible for you to get inside. As you can see you can’t even touch the main cage, or to cross those borders. It’s dangerous.” The Zoo keeper answered.

                “But, aren’t they trained?” I asked.

                “They are, but they are only good to the familiar faces here. Not with the visitors.” He answered.

                “So that means…” I sighed “I can’t fulfill my list.”

                I sat down to the nearest bench at the Zoo, I started feeling wasted. I really want to hug a panda. Nick was trying to comfort me.

                “Hey, don’t’ be sad, why don’t you just go back here someday?” Nick said.

                “As if there’s someday for me. I’m dying.” I answered frustratingly.

                “We can accomplish others now?” Nick said again.

                I remained silent.

                “Wait for me. I’ll do something.” Nick said and then left immediately.

                “H-hey! W-wait!” I uttered.

After feeling frustrated and stuff, I begin to wonder where the hell Nick ran off to. He’s been gone for quite long. I started to look for him around but he’s nowhere to be found. I tried calling his phone but he’s not answering. Is he pulling a prank? Or has he left me here all alone? I started to panic.

                Looking around, I saw the Panda mascot approaching. The mascot was running towards me. I was shocked when it hugged me tight.

                “Mister or Miss who’s wearing this mascot, get off me. Why are you hugging me?” I said.

Then the mascot removed the head cover and revealed that it was Nick!!! I burst out in laughter. I can imagine Nick was wearing a mascot!

                “What are you laughing about?! Doing this lame thing for you. Hug me now. I’m a panda.” Nick shouted.

                I giggled and said “Hi Cutie Pie!” Then I hugged him really tight. I wanted to hug an authentic panda but it turned out the opposite. Nonetheless, this one’s really heartwarming and more satisfying. Someone who’s making effort to make your dream come true. And that has always been Nick.

                After returning the mascot to its rightful owner, we made our way to our next destination in Enzan Dai-Kyujo. Gonna explore archery and Kyoto in a bit. I rested for hours until we finally get there.

                There were some few Oji-san (meaning old man) practicing Archery there. We tried 10 arrows. We are required to wear the appropriate attire for Kyudo. The bow was heavy and the instructor was intimidating. Nick got it pretty well. And me… well… . It’s been 3 years.

                I tried to recall my lessons and it worked! I can target the board but not bull’s eye. My hands were shaking I don’t know why. Nick tried to help me. My posture. The way I hold it. He was close to me, he was holding my hands we tried to shoot together. And there! BULL’S EYE!!!! I dropped the bow and jumped to Nick! I hugged him.

                After our Archery Experience, we drove back to Tokyo for the festival. It took us 6hrs to finally reach Tokyo back. Nick is a badass driver!

                It was late in the afternoon, and yet many people are still at the park. Kitanomaru Park was a huge park. The Cherry Blossoms were, needless to say, awesome! They were falling slowly like in a dramatic scene. The place seems so imaginary. It’s so beautiful!

                Nick pulled me to the Canoeing area. At the sides of that said river were bunch of beautiful Cherry Blossoms. We lined up and get a canoe.

                I was speechless.

                “Hey, are you okay?” Nick asked.

                “I am! I’m just… Stunned.” I said, still full of awe and looking around.

                “Why don’t you take a picture?” Nick said.

                “Oh yes! We have a lot of pictures now!” I said.

I took a picture of the Cherry Blossoms and Nick canoeing. And finally our picture! It was an amazing Japan experience. Later in a few hours we’ll be leaving this wonderful place. Sadly, but I miss Rome too. I wonder what to do next when we get back there…

------------------

Author's Note:

Again, I apologize for not updating right away. And if this chapter seem so short. :( Unfortunately, I have my classes now. And I'm a College Student. That's why I dont have time to write. I can only write during fridays. I hope you guys can be patient and still wait for my updates, leave comments! You guys are my fuel in writing! Find out what's their next adventure would be! :))) xo