Learning About Each Other

Dad, Where Are You Going? - Idol Edition

“Ya! Lee Yongbin! Let’s slow down a bit,” Sandeul called to his son as he sat down on a rock.

      “Appa why are we sitting down?” Yongbin wondered as he stood next to his father.

      “It’s because appa is tired,” Sandeul said as he picked the boy up and sat him on his lap. “Let’s look at the rest of these questions, shall we. Yongbinnie, do you want to learn how to read?”

      “Why do I need to learn how to read?” Yongbin questioned.

      “Here, I’ll point at the words,” Sandeul said situating the paper in front of him and Yongbin so they could both see it. “Your eomma thinks she’s funny,” Sandeul muttered as he read the next question that they were on.

      “Eomma is funny,” Yongbin said as he turned to look at his father.

      “Anyway…” Sandeul said as he started pointing at the words. “Which one of the samchoons would Yongbinnie like to have as his appa if appa wasn’t his appa? Do you understand the question?”

      “No,” Yongbin said shaking his head.

      “It’s asking out Baro-samchoon, Jinyoung-samchoon, Gongchan-samchoon, or Shinwoo-samchoon, who would you want to be your appa?”

      “I like appa!”

      “Aww, my cutie Yongbinnie,” Sandeul said as he attacked Yongbin with hugs and kisses. “I knew you would stick up for me. But out of those four, who would you choose?”

      “Hmm…” Yongbin said thinking about what samchoon he would want to be his father the most. “Baro-samchoon!”

      “Baro again?” Sandeul asked. “I guess you would like him the most…”

      “Appa, let’s go!” Yongbin said hopping off of his father’s lap.

      “You want to go already? But appa is still tired.”

      “Let’s go, let’s go!” Yongbin yelled as he pulled at his father’s hand.

      “Geez you have a lot of energy,” Sandeul huffed as he got off of the rock and began following behind Yongbin. “There better be something good at this peak.”

 

“Soojae-ya,” Yongguk said as he called for his daughter.

      “Yes?” Soojae wondered as she looked up at her father.

      “Is there anything you wanted to know about me? I mean, since your eomma wrote all these questions I should ask you, is there anything you want to ask me?”

      “Hmm…” Soojae said as she began thinking about all of the questions she ever wanted to ask her father. “Why do you like eomma?”

      “Huh?” Yongguk asked slightly surprised at that question.

      “Why do you like eomma?” Soojae asked again.

      “Hmm…I like eomma for a lot of reasons,” Yongguk said as he grabbed onto Soojae’s hand and thought about the question. “I like her because she’s really smart and pretty and she knows how to cook and I can also talk with her about anything.”

      “That’s why you like her?”

      “Of course I like her for whole bunch more,” Yongguk said with a gentle smile as he looked down at his daughter. “But we’ll just keep it with those.”

      “I’m glad you’re my appa, appa.”

      “Are you? What do you like the most about me?”

      “That you’re my appa,” Soojae said looking up at her father. “You play with me and we make songs together and you, me, and eomma play with Yoonjae all of the time.”

      “You like it when we play with your dongsaeng?”

      “I like playing with him. He’s fun.”

      “Good, good, that’s good,” Yongguk said as they continued to climb the mountain together. “Are you getting tired? Here, let appa piggyback you.”

      Without saying another word, Yongguk stopped and kneeled down on the ground so Soojae would be able to hop onto his back. “Okay,” Soojae said, letting her father know when she was set and ready for him to start walking.

      “Okay, here we go,” Yongguk said as he slowly stood up and made sure that Soojae’s legs were secured before he continued walking. “It’s nice spending time with appa like this without eomma and without Yoonjae, right?”

      “It’s fun,” Soojae said with a big smile. “It’s fun spending time with appa.”

      “I knew you’d enjoy it. We should go out on day, all together,” Yongguk sighed as he continued making his way up the mountain. “Do you think that would be fun, Soojae-ah?”

      “Yes!” Soojae excitedly said. “This is fun!”

      “Alright, we’ll have to do it again,” Yongguk said chuckling to himself. “Let’s just continue walking up the rest of this mountain.”

 

“Appa, let’s take a picture at this tree,” Dongwan said pointing at another tree.

      “Kim Dongwan,” Myungsoo said as he looked at his son, “we don’t have to take pictures at every single different tree we see.”

      “But I want eomma to see…” Dongwan said as tears started forming in his eyes.

      “Alright, alright, go stand over there,” Myungsoo sighed, eventually giving in to his son. He didn’t want to see his son cry, even if that did mean taking pictures with all of the different trees they saw. “Hey, Dongwan,” Myungsoo suddenly said thinking of an idea of how he could have his son move a bit faster up the mountain, “I think the other fathers are ahead of us, don’t you want to get to the top first before they do?”

      “Yeah!” Dongwan excitedly yelled.

      “Then we can’t stop and take pictures at all of the trees,” Myungsoo carefully attempted to explain. “We have to continue with the rest of the fathers or else we’ll be dead last.”

      “Alright. Hold me,” Dongwan said looking up at his father.

      “Fine,” Myungsoo sighed as he leaned down to pick up his son and no matter how heavy he was, he continued climbing the mountain. “Hey Dongwan, do you want to be an oppa or a hyung?”

      “Huh?”

      “Do you want to have a younger brother or sister?”

      “Am I going to have one?” Dongwan excitedly asked.

      “Not yet,” Myungsoo chuckled. “But your eomma and I are thinking about getting you a younger sibling.”

      “Where is my younger sibling going to come from?”

      “Your younger sibling is going to come from eomma.”

      “How is eomma going to get my younger sibling?”

      Myungsoo sighed as he thought of a good explanation for Dongwan as to why his mother had his little sibling, but he couldn’t think of anything good. “Um…” Myungsoo started off as his mind raced in an attempt to find the answer.

      “Appa doesn’t know either, does he,” Dongwan said breaking the silence.

      “What?” Myungsoo asked as he wasn’t sure if he heard his son correctly or not.

      “Appa doesn’t know how eomma is going to get my younger sibling, either,” Dongwan repeated.

      “Ah, right, right,” Myungsoo said lightly chuckling at his son. “Anyway, Dongwan, you have to tell eomma that you want a younger sibling, alright?”

      “Why?”

      “Because you might not get one if you don’t ask her,” Myungsoo said doing his best to convince him.

      “Alright, I’ll ask a lot so I can have one!” Dongwan said with a big smile as he tightly held onto his father.

      “You do that,” Myungsoo said with a smile as he used his free hand to ruffle Dongwan’s hair before continuing the trek up the mountain.

 

“Seoyeon-ah, be careful,” Joon said as he watched his daughter climb the rocks. “Do you want appa to help you?”

      “You don’t have to, I can manage,” Seoyeon said as she continued to climb up.

      “But still,” Joon said as he grabbed his daughter’s hand. “Here, let me help you.”

      Without objecting, Seoyeon let her father hold her hand up until they were at a place that wasn’t as hard to climb, then she immediately released her hand. “There’s no need for you to help me anymore,” Seoyeon said as she started walking a bit faster than her father.

      “Lee Seoyeon, do you not like holding my hand that badly?” Joon pouted.

      “It’s just that I don’t need your help right now,” Seoyeon said as she turned to look back at her father.

      “Aww, my daughter has grown.”

      “I’ve always been grown, appa.”

      “Lee Seoyeon, you must get your wit from your appa, right?”

      “No,” Seoyeon said shaking her head.

      “Then who else is there to get it from?”

      “Eomma.”

      “Oh…yeah,” Joon said. “Now that I think about it, you and your eomma are a lot alike.”

      “You and Seoeon can be alike,” Seoyeon sighed.

      “Me and Seoeon?” Joon asked at the sudden inclusion of his youngest child. “But he’s only two.”

      “Still,” Seoyeon said shrugging her shoulders. “He seems a lot like you and I’m a lot like eomma.”

     “Okay then,” Joon said figuring it was just best to go with what his daughter said. “So, Seoyeon, is there anything you want to ask me?”

      “Huh?”

      “Is there anything in the world you want to ask me?”

      “Hmm…” Seoyeon said as she attempted to think of something. “There’s nothing I need to ask you because you probably know as much as I do,” she said as she continued climbing.

      “Yah! Lee Seoyeon!” Joon yelled as he began going after her. “What kind of statement is that?”

 

“Alex, do you think this is fun?” Peniel wondered as he saw his son lagging behind. Of course climbing a mountain wasn’t his cup of tea, and Peniel wondered if it would be anyone’s favorite thing to do, but it was something that they were already doing, so why should they stop? It wasn’t like they could just turn around after going so far.

      “It’s…alright,” Alex sighed as he looked at all of the nature around him.

      “You’re not used to being outdoors, right? It’s different than being cooped up in the house or in the city, isn’t it,” Peniel said as he placed a hand on his son’s shoulder and looked around at the scenery. “You know, maybe eomma would like to do this. She did a lot of this type of thing when she was living in America, did you know that?”

      “No,” Alex said shaking his head. “Eomma likes doing this?”

      “She really liked doing it, but she doesn’t have a lot of chances to do it nowadays,” Peniel said hoping Alex would understand what he was talking about. “Anyway, Alex, what is something you really want to learn?”

      “The football that you always talk about,” Alex brightly said after thinking about it for a moment. “It seems like fun and I want to play it with appa.”

      “Then when we go home I’ll definitely teach you to play football, alright?” Peniel asked as he swooped down and picked up Alex to put on his shoulders. “You’re getting tired of walking, aren’t you?”

      “I’m sleepy.”

      “Well it won’t take us much longer if we keep going, alright? Let’s keep pushing forward, Alex.”

      “Let’s keep pushing forward!” Alex yelled.

      “So, besides football, is there anything else you want to learn?” Peniel asked. “Do you want to learn how to play baseball and soccer? What about swimming? There’s also ice hockey and lacrosse and this sport called field hockey. And don’t forget about some of these like water polo, snowboarding, skiing, horseback riding, cricket, and diving,” Peniel said as he started naming off a bunch of different sports.

      “Huh?” Alex asked as his head was confused from everything that his father was naming off.

      “Ah, you probably don’t remember…” Peniel muttered to himself. “How about when we get back home we can go with eomma to a baseball game. Does that sound fun?”

      “Yes!” Alex cheered.

      “I think nature is making you a little kooky,” Peniel said with a smile as he looked up at his son on his shoulders. “Let’s get this over with quickly.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will the end of the trip be like? What about the next one?

 

Here's Chapter 6. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

The next chapter will be the ending for this trip and then the chapter after that will start a new one. What hijinks do you want to ensue? What do you think will happen?

 

Have a good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. See you soon :)

And also, Happy belated Holidays to everyone!