Family Bonding

Dad, Where Are You Going? - Idol Edition

“What are we going to do today?” Joon curiously asked once all of the fathers and their children gathered.

      “Since we figured that you guys didn’t know each other that well, we have planned some bonding time,” the PD announced.

      “Bonding time?” Myungsoo questioned as he looked at his son Dongwan. “Bonding time with our children?”

      “Yes,” the PD said with a chuckle. “Through the interview footage, we have seen that the fathers don’t really have a close relationship with their children.”

      “It’s because we’re always working!” Joon yelled to defend himself.

      “Appa, you’re supposed to be respectful when people are talking,” Seoyeon said as she innocently looked up at her father and earned the laughter of those around her.

      “Ah…sorry,” Joon apologized with a smile as he looked at his daughter. “Continue.”

      “Anyway, we have planned little trips for you all to go on to get to know your son or daughter better.”

      “What do these trips consist of?” Yongguk curiously asked.

      “We have packed you guys a lunch,” the PD said as the lunchboxes were placed in front of them, “and don’t worry, they’re all the same. Each of you will have a paper of things you probably don’t know about your child and will have to ask your child on your way up the mountain.”

      “We’re climbing a mountain?” Sandeul asked with wide eyes.

      “Mountain, mountain!” Yongbin chanted as he began to dance around his father.

      “Yah! Lee Yongbin! Do you know what that means?” Sandeul asked as he looked at his son.

      “Mountain, mountain!” Yongbin continued to chant completely ignoring his father.

      “Anyway, the questions are questions that each of your wives have sent in that they think you should communicate with your child about. Some of them don’t have to be questions. Anyway, here’s a map and the questions,” the PD said as both papers were handed out to them.

      “We can go now?” Peniel asked as he stared at the map wondering how to get up the mountain.

      “You can go now,” the PD said with a nod of his head.

      Slowly, the fathers began putting on their backpacks and grabbing their children by the hand as they began to make their way up the mountain.

      “Yongbin!” Sandeul yelled as he tightly grabbed his hand. “You have to stay next to your appa the entire time.”

      “Why?” Yongbin curiously asked.

      “Because appa wouldn’t like for Yongbin to get lost,” Sandeul told him, “eomma wouldn’t like it either.”

      “If eomma doesn’t like it, Yongbin won’t do it,” Yongbin said with a proud smile.

      “Yah! Do you only think of your eomma?” Sandeul asked as he looked at the paper and scoffed at the first question. “Your eomma is just writing these things because she thinks it’ll be funny.”

      “Huh?” Yongbin asked as he looked up at Sandeul.

      “Yongbin, who do you like more appa or Baro-samchoon?” Sandeul sighed.

      “Ummm…” Yongbin said as he began to seriously think over the question.

      “Yah, it shouldn’t take you that long to make up your mind,” Sandeul pouted.

      “Baro-samchoon!” Yongbin said after much thinking.

      “Why not your appa? Why do you like Baro-samchoon more than your appa?” Sandeul started to complain.

      “I like Baro-samchoon, but I love appa!” Yongbin said with a wide smile as he looked up at Sandeul.

      “Yay!” Sandeul cheered as he quickly leaned down and picked up his son. “Of course you’re my son,” he said as he kissed him on the cheek, “of course you love me more than Baro-samchoon! Now let’s go on to the second question,” Sandeul excitedly said as they continued going up the mountain.

 

“Seoyeon, are you okay?” Joon worriedly asked as they began their hike up.

      “I’m okay,” Seoyeon said as her eyes were glued to the map.

      “Are you sure you don’t want appa to help you?”

      “I’m sure. You’d probably get us lost anyway,” Seoyeon nonchalantly said without even looking up.

      “Seoyeon, how could you say that?” Joon wondered.

      “You got us lost when we went on vacation last time. That’s why eomma doesn’t trust you with directions anymore.”

      “I have good directional sense,” Joon said in an attempt to defend himself. “Your eomma just thinks I don’t have good senses in anything.”

      “Okay appa,” Seoyeon said as she began walking up the path.

      “Wait, we have to ask these questions,” Joon said as he looked over the paper.

      “We can answer and walk at the same time, can’t we?” she wondered.

      “Ah yeah…you’re right,” Joon said. “Um…your eomma thinks I should ask you what you want to be when you grow up.”

      “Scientist.”

      “You want to be a scientist?” Joon surprisingly asked. “Whoa, I always knew my daughter was smart. What do you want to be a scientist for?”

      “Genetics and cells,” Seoyeon confidently said.

      “You’re smarter than I imagined,” Joon said as he just stared at his daughter in amazement. “You know things that most nine-year-olds probably don’t even know. Why do you want to do cells and genetics?”

      “So I can figure out how someone like you has a daughter like me,” Seoyeon said as she looked at Joon and shrugged her shoulders before continuing on her way.

      “Wait! Lee Seoyeon!” Joon said as he began chasing after Seoyeon. “You’re not supposed to say those things when you’re nine! Lee Seoyeon! Wait for your appa! Climbing mountains isn’t as easy as it was before!”

 

“Wah, our first time on a mountain together, isn’t it fun?” Yongguk asked as he looked at Soojae. Silently Soojae nodded her head in agreement. “Do you like spending time with appa?” Once again, Soojae just silently nodded. “Has anything been happening in school lately?” Yongguk curiously asked. “It seems as though your eomma says you have a boyfriend.” Upon hearing that statement, Soojae suddenly hid her face behind her hand. “Bang Soojae! Do you have a boyfriend?”

      “He’s a nice boy,” Soojae said with a smile as she looked up at her father.

      “What’s his name?” Yongguk curiously asked as he attempted to keep his cool. He couldn’t believe that his seven-year-old daughter was already dating someone, she was only in elementary school.

      “Song Seunggi,” Soojae said.

      “Aww, my daughter is blushing,” Yongguk said chuckling at the sight. It was a different side of his daughter that he never saw before. Normally whenever it was the two of them at home she would only dance in front of Yongguk and always rap his parents from his past songs, but this time, Yongguk was able to see his daughter in a different light. “Is he a nice boy?”

      “Very nice.”

      “Why didn’t you ever invite him over for a playdate?”

      “He’s been over to the house. Eomma has seen him.”

      “Really? Where was I?”

      “Appa wasn’t home,” Soojae said.

      “Well next time he comes over make sure you tell me so I can meet him, too, alright?” Yongguk asked as he extended his pinky out.

      “Yes,” Soojae said as she connected their pinkies together.

      “And if he ever does anything to you, then appa will get him for you.”

      “You can’t hurt him!” Soojae said, quick to defend her boyfriend.

     “I’m not going to hurt him now,” Yongguk began to explain, “only when he makes you cry.”

      “Alright,” Soojae said with a smile.

 

“Appa, what is this?” Dongwan asked as he pointed at a tree.

      “A tree?” Myungsoo asked as he looked at his son.

      “Do you know what type of tree it is?”

      “No, I’m not sure. Let’s get going, Dongwan,” Myungsoo said as he grabbed his son’s hand and began following everyone up the mountain. “Are you excited to be spending time with appa?”

      “Appa, why are there mountains?”

      “Huh?” Myungsoo asked as he confusingly looked at Dongwan.

      “Why are there mountains? Where do they come from?”

      “You surely ask a lot of questions,” Myungsoo muttered to himself. “Be sure to ask those questions to your eomma when we get back home,” he said as he took a quick glance at the paper of questions that his wife sent for him. “Hey, Dongwan, what do you want to be when you get older?”

      “Nothing,” Dongwan said with a chuckle as he looked at his father.

      “Somehow I think it’s more than nothing,” Myungsoo said with a sneaky smirk. “Really, tell me Dongwan, what do you want to be when you grow up?”

      “I want to be appa,” Dongwan nervously said as he looked at his father.

      “What do you mean you want to be like me?” Myungsoo asked. “You want to act?” Slowly, Dongwan nodded his head and Myungsoo swiftly picked him up into his arms. “Yah, Dongwan, I had no idea. Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

      “I don’t know,” Dongwan said shrugging his shoulders. “Appa, why don’t birds fly into trees?” he asked as he looked up at the sky.

      “I don’t know,” Myungsoo said with a chuckle as he looked at his son. “Why don’t you remember those questions for we go home?”

      “Why?”

      “So then we can look them up on the internet,” Myungsoo explained as he put Dongwan back on the ground. “Here, Dongwan, stand here.”

      “Why?”

      “I’m going to take a picture of you so we can show eomma when we get home. I’m sure she’d like to see this,” Myungsoo said as he took out his camera from his bag. “Alright, act cute, ready?”

      “Cheese!” Dongwan said with a wide smile as he did a peace sign.

      “Aww, my son is handsome,” Myungsoo said looking at the picture. “C’mon Dongwan, let’s continue.”

 

“Alex, it’s your first time on a Korean mountain, how do you feel?” Peniel asked. “It doesn’t feel any different, right?”

      “Yeah,” Alex slowly whispered.

      “It’s all just mountains,” Peniel said with a chuckle, “but the view at the top is probably really good.”

      “We should take a lot of pictures so we can show eomma,” Alex said.

      “Good idea. Your eomma likes nature,” Peniel said as he brought out his cell phone. “Let’s take one at the starting point. Come here.”

      Peniel kneeled down to Alex’s level as Alex came over and got closer to Peniel so they could take a picture together. “Are we going to send it?” Alex curiously asked.

      “Let’s send it to her right now,” Peniel said as he began typing the message to his wife. “Okay, let’s go up the mountain to take one up there. Should we have a race?”

      “A race?” Alex curiously asked.

      “A race to see who can get up there the fastest. It’ll be hard, though,” Peniel warned.

      “Let’s do it!” Alex yelled as he threw his hands into the air. “I’ll beat appa.”

      “Are you sure?” Peniel asked with a smile as he looked at Alex. “Are you sure you’ll be able to beat your appa?”

      “Of course!” Alex yelled.

      “Ready, set, go!” Peniel yelled as he and Alex began taking off at the same time up the mountain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will the rest of the time up the mountain be? 

 

Here's Chapter 5. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

Sorry it took me so long to update, but hopefully I'll be quicker with the updates for my stories. As far as this story goes, I actually wasn't going to have it be a very long story...so maybe I'll write a couple of more trips for them and then have the end... It will probably be less than 20 chapters...but I guess we'll just have to see.

 

Anyway, thank you for waiting a very long time for me to update, and I'll try to be better with updating.

Have a good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. See you soon :)