Nighttime

Dad, Where Are You Going? - Idol Edition

Sandeul intently scribbled on the board, Myungsoo stared ahead, Yongguk was silently nodding his head, Peniel was muttering in English, and Joon was very confused. “Are you ready?” the PD asked as the entire staff attempted to stifle their laughter.

     “Wait, wait, wait,” Joon said as he quickly scribbled something down.

     “Stop writing,” the PD said. “We’ll ask a question first, actually two questions before we continue.”

     “What are they?” Peniel asked.

     “How many of you actually knew the songs of the other artist? Okay then,” the PD said when he saw that no one’s hands went up. “Then how many of you actually remembered your own song?” Hesitantly, Sandeul and Yongguk slowly raised their head. “You actually remember?”

     “I…I think so,” Sandeul slowly said. “Everybody put your hands in the air,” Sandeul said singing the only line that he could remember.

     “Yongguk, you said that you remembered, too?” the writer asked.

     “No more pain, goodbye, goodbye,” Yongguk said saying the only line that he remembered as well. “I’m pretty sure that that’s the chorus?”

     “Well, what did you guys write then? Hold up your boards.”

     Slowly, the fathers held up their boards and looked at what everyone wrote. “Yah, everyone wrote their own song,” Joon said as he looked at everyone’s board. “That means that someone’s going to get the point.”

     “And the answer is B1A4, ‘In The Air,’” the writer revealed.

     “Really? Really?” Sandeul surprisingly asked.

     “What’s the reason?” Myungsoo asked.

     “Most said that it sounded like a dance song,” the writer said as she read the reasons. “They said that it sounded nice.”

     “What were the other results?” Joon wondered.

     “B1A4 got two votes, B.A.P, MBLAQ, and Infinite got one vote.”

     “So that means that BTOB didn’t get any,” Yongguk said as he looked at Peniel who simply shrugged his shoulders.

     “That’s alright, I don’t even remember the song,” he said with a chuckle.

 

It was nighttime when the children returned with the ingredients. “Appa!” Yongbin yelled as he ran in with a bag.

     “Son!” Sandeul yelled as he opened his arms wide for his son to run and immediately sit on his lap. “How was it? Was it fun?”

     “I brought a lot of things,” Yongbin said holding up the bag.

     “Good job,” Sandeul said with a bright smile as he praised his son.

     “What about you?” Myungsoo asked as he looked at Dongwan.

     “The halmeonis gave me kimchi,” Dongwan said as he held up the bag.

     “Alright, let’s get cooking,” Joon announced as he got up from the floor and began gathering some of the ingredients that children brought back.

     “What are we going to make?” Peniel asked as he followed Joon into the kitchen, also grabbing ingredients.

     “We should make something kid friendly,” Myungsoo said as he and Yongguk walked into the kitchen together.

     “You guys play nicely out here, alright?” Sandeul asked as he looked at the kids who nodded their heads in unison before he went into the kitchen. “What are we making?” Sandeul asked as he saw Myungsoo and Peniel laying out the ingredients on the counter.

     “We have to see what we have first,” Yongguk said as he crossed his arms.

     “What do we have?” Joon asked as soon as Myungsoo and Peniel were done separating the ingredients into piles.

     “We have kimchi, eggs, rice, sugar, flour, some vegetables, meat, and noodles,” Myungsoo said as he pointed at the groups.

     “First, let’s cook the rice, I’ll do it,” Sandeul said raising his hand as he picked up some of the rice. “Leave it to me.”

     “What else should we make?” Yongguk asked as he looked at the ingredients.

     “Kimchi fried rice?” Joon asked.

     “Should we make kimchi fried rice?” Myungsoo asked.

     “Or should we make kimchi pancakes?” Peniel offered.

     “Make them both,” Sandeul yelled from the sink as he measured the water that should be put into the pot and washed the rice.

     “I’ll help Peniel with the kimchi pancakes,” Yongguk said.

     “Then Myungsoo and I will do the kimchi fried rice,” Joon said.

     It took a while, and many mishaps, before the fathers were able to bring out the food for their children who cautiously stared at it. “Is this…edible?” Seoyeon asked as she looked at her father and slowly poked at the food that was sitting in the middle of the table.

     “It’s totally edible, Seoyeon,” Joon said as he patted the top of his daughter’s head. “Doesn’t it look yummy?”

     “Um…yes,” Seoyeon said as she forced on a smile and took some of the kimchi fried rice.

     “You know, appa has a really close relationship with kimchi fried rice,” Joon said.

     “Did you marry the fired rice?” Yongbin excitedly asked as he looked at Joon.

     “Yongbin, you know that that’s not possible,” Sandeul said with a nervous laugh as he took a seat next to Yongbin.

     “No I didn’t marry it,” Joon said with a laugh as he looked at Yongbin. “I used to eat it all the time.”

     “Ah, I think I remember that,” Myungsoo said.

     “Were you and Seoyeon’s appa friends?” Dongwan asked.

     “Not very close, but we were acquaintances,” Myungsoo said.

     “Acquaintances? What does that mean?” Dongwan asked.

     “Um…you know,” Myungsoo said with an awkward laugh. He wasn’t entirely sure how he should explain acquaintances. It wasn’t very easy to describe that word to a six-year-old. “Like someone that you don’t know very well. Like those kids on the playground that you see there every day. You don’t really talk to them, but you know them and sometimes talk to them. Get it?” Myungsoo looked at his son and saw the confused face that was staring back at him. “Um…you know what, we’ll just ask eomma when we get back.”

     “Do you like the kimchi pancakes, Soojae?” Yongguk asked.

     “Mhm, it’s good,” Soojae said as she gave her father a thumbs up.

     “Good, eat more,” Yongguk said as he put more on her dish.

     “Appa, what did you make?” Yongbin asked as he turned around to look at Sandeul.  

     “I made the rice, it’s good, right?” Sandeul asked as he put his own thumbs up.

     “Good,” Yongbin said with a wide smile back to him.

     “Alex, are you not hungry?” Peniel asked as he saw that his son wasn’t eating a lot.

     “Yeah,” Alex said as he got up to sit on Peniel’s lap.

     “Are you tired?” Slowly Alex nodded his head.

     “Okay, well hate to do this, but we’re going to head out first,” Peniel said as he stood up and scooped Alex up in his arms. “See you all tomorrow.”

     “Goodbye,” Sandeul said as he waved to them.

     “Bye, Alex,” Soojae said as she also waved.

     “Alex, are you going to say bye to them?” Peniel asked. Silently, Alex waved to them. “Okay, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

     “Remember what house you’re in,” Joon called out the door.

     “Appa, what house are we in?” Alex asked his father as they began to walk the path to where all of the houses are.

     “A good house, it’ll be my first time staying in one of those houses, too,” Peniel said with a wide smile. “It’ll be an adventure,” he continued in English.

     “An adventure?” Alex asked.

     “Of course, think of it as an adventure with me.”

 

“So, what do you think of the place?” Sandeul asked Yongbin as he placed him in the room.

     “It’s a good room,” Yongbin said with a smile.

     “You’re such a happy kid,” Sandeul said with a chuckle. “Now let’s get you washed up or else eomma is going to be mad at me.”

     Sandeul picked Yongbin up in his arms and took him outside. “We’re going to wash up outside?” he curiously asked as he looked at his surroundings.

     “Of course, this is how appa used to do it when he was little just like you.”

     “You were little just like me?” Yongbin asked in amazement.

     “I was,” Sandeul said with a chuckle. “Now let’s clean off your face first, here, lean down.”

     Sandeul began diligently washing Yongbin’s face and then helping him brush his teeth before bringing him back inside to change him into his pajamas. “Can we call eomma?” Yongbin asked.

     “Sure,” Sandeul said as he got out his phone and dialed the number.

     “Hello?” the voice asked picking up.

     “Yah! Cha Baro! What are you doing at my house?”

     “Suae wanted to play with Minjin, I can’t say no to my daughter,” Baro said with a chuckle over the phone.

     “But why do you have the cell phone?” Sandeul asked.

     “Your wife’s in the kitchen right now, should I put her on?”

     “Yes please, Yongbin wants to talk with her.”

     “Yongbinnie?” Baro excitedly asked. “Yongbinnie! How are you?”

     “Baro samchoon,” Yongbin said as he looked up at his father.

     “Are you having a nice time with your father?”

     “Eoh,” Yongbin responded.

     “He’s treating you nicely, right?”

     “Of course I’m treating him nicely,” Sandeul yelled back. “Who do you think I am?”

     “You’re Lee Sandeul,” Baro said with a chuckle. “Ah, your wife is coming back now, I’ll give her the phone. I’ll see you when you come home Yongbin! Goodbye!”

     “Goodbye Baro samchoon,” Yongbin said.

     “Ah, Yongbin!” his mother excitedly said as soon as she got the phone.

     “Eomma!” Yongbin yelled with excitement as he looked up at Sandeul.

 

“Do you need any help?” Joon asked as he sat on the ledge and watched his daughter washing her own face and brushing her own teeth.

     “No, I’m fine, appa,” Seoyeon said as she applied the soap onto her hands before her face.

     “Fine,” Joon pouted as he sat on the ledge and continued to supervise his daughter, even though it was pretty evident that she didn’t need any supervising. “You know, I’m always over here if you need me.”

     “I know,” Seoyeon said once she got the soap off of her face. “But I’m fine, you can go inside and get ready for bed if you’re tired.”

     “Yah! Lee Seoyeon, your father isn’t that old yet,” Joon complained.

     “Okay, appa, but you shouldn’t complain about being tired tomorrow then,” Seoyeon said as she got out her toothbrush.

     “Alright, alright, I won’t,” Joon said as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will the next day go? What adventures will be in store? How will the night go with the rest of the fathers?

 

Here's chapter 3. Hope you enjoyed :D