Last Dinner

Artharis

As I get near our house, the smell of my mom's home-cooked meal becomes stronger. The scent of it is making me realise how hungy I am. I didn't know that thinking too much makes you so hungry?

My mom is a really good cook. From what I heard from my grandfather, she started cooking at a very young age... When she was old enough, she entered a culinary academy and graduated with honours...  it was her passion... and she was able to pursue it...

...not like me...

 

"Why does he need to go?!?!" I heard a worried voice from my mom.

"Cause the officials want him to go" my dad replied

"Can't you do anything about it?" mom answered.

"We already tried to hide him for years... But this is his fate... He needs to go to Artharis"

"Fate? so you're telling me that our son is destined to die" It felt like someone punched me when I heard this. 

"Who said that he is going to die?" dad answered with an almost shouting voice.

"You know what's going to happen..." mom answered as if she is accepting defeat.

"I know..."

 

At that moment, everything became silent. The only thing I can hear is my fast heartbeat.... I don't know if i should I cry? or should I run? or should I kill myself to save them from killing me? 

When did going to school become deadly?... I'm fated to die?... they need me?... WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?

Why did no one tell me about these things? It's my life, I deserve to know what's going to happen!!! I insist to know!!!

 

After a few minutes, I took some deep breaths to calm myself. Then, I placed a big fake smile as I open the door to our house.

"SMELLS GOODDDD!!!! What's for dinner?" I pretended that everything is ok.

"Your favourite foods!" mom replied with a smile though i'm sure it's fake.

"Little man, where did you come from?" dad asked.

"First of all, i'm not a little man... can you stop calling me that? I'm already 15 dad!" I whined. 

"Don't think that because you're leaving, i'm going to treat you as an adult" dad said while trying to control his laughter. 

I frowned.

"Ok boys! stop being so immature!!!" mom said with a smile. "Luhan, wash your hands! Dinner is ready"

"Ok mom" 

 

Dinner was as usual except for the excessive amount of food that my mom prepared.

"Wow! do we have visitors tonight?" I asked.

"No. I prepared all of this for you, cause it's your last night" mom replied. I'm sure she was trying to sound cheerful but she failed at it.

"Good!.. I heard Artharis make students eat healthy food that taste like plastic! " both my parents started laughing.

"So I should really enjoy my last real dinner" I tried to fake a smile again.

 

After dinner, they asked me to go my room and rest. Apparently, I need to sleep early because we are leaving early in the morning. But really, how would I be able to sleep after all the things I just heard?

For almost an hour, i was just rolling on my bed thinking... thinking of what my life would be like in the next few years... thinking of what would happen to me... thinking of how I would die.....

and then, i dozed off.