Separation

Throw hearts

I don’t know since when I had lost that cheerful, bubbly part of me.

Perhaps it was when I had graduated from College and was heading to an overseas University to further my studies. I couldn’t bear to leave my friends, they were all I had.

We would spend the whole night lying down by the poolside and talk our hearts out while gazing the stars. The guys in my clique were pretty good looking, having girls drooling at them when we walked pass the school’s café every time. My girlfriends and I would just laughed stupidly at how the guys were showing off their charismatic self in front of the girls. There was once I even tripped and broke one of the café’s table while laughing at them.

Such great memories indeed.

But as much as I love those memories, I wished it did not exist.

All of them were present to send me off on the day of the flight. Some even skipped school just to send me off. I cried loudly in each of their arms, not caring how the passers-by looked at me.

I wasn’t ready to leave them, I wasn’t able to put all the wonderful memories down and start afresh.

However, as much as I wanted to stay, I had no choice but to obey my Dad. Since I grew up in a traditional family, my dad is the one who call the shots. I had no choice but to leave and pursue my studies overseas. Even though the University is ranked to be one of the top Universities in the world, I hated it.

I hated how I have to leave everything behind and start afresh.

“Ji Eun, remember to call us everyday!”

“Ji Eun, remember to have proper meals and don’t fall sick!”

“Ji Eun, we’ll be waiting for you to come back!”

That was the last few words I heard from them before I embraced myself and walked towards the check-in counter, sobbing uncontrollably, not caring that the tears had stained my face and ruined my entire makeup.