Second Date at the Deli Shop

Oppa, Please!

 Chapter 4

The next morning I woke up and literally rolled out of bed. Yesterday had been my only day off from work this week and I had spent it with a bunch of guys watching a movie that gave me nightmares. At least the 2 hours of sleep I got last night were somewhat peaceful. Now it was off to work, and the headache I had from sleep deprivation told me it was not going to be a good day.
 
“Morning, ~~~~!” Khun said actively as I dragged my feet down the stairs.
 
“Morning, oppa,” I said, yawning. He handed me a cup of coffee and I slumped into a chair.
 
“Work today?” Khun asked me, sitting in front of me. I nodded, sipping my coffee. Yum, French vanilla, just the way I liked it. Khun really did know ever detail about me. I looked at my watch and saw it was nearly time for me to start heading to work. 
 
My job wasn’t exactly exciting. It was a part-time job in high school that turned into a fulltime as soon as I graduated high school. I decided to put off college for a year so I could save up and study in the US. Until then, work was my first priority, even if I was just a waitress at a local deli.
 
“You look tired,” Khun commented, taking a sip from his coffee, “Did you even sleep last night?”
 
“No,” I replied, “That movie didn’t let me sleep. I only got like 2 hours of sleep.”
 
“I’m sorry.”
 
“You should be!” I said, “Stupid movie. I have the worst headache.” Khun laughed and grabbed my hand, rubbing it between his hands.
 
“I’ll make it up to you.”
 
I slapped his hands away playfully, giving him a smile. He smiled back at me. Aish. What a brother.
 
“Let me borrow the car?” I told Khun, standing up from the table, “Or are you going out today?”
 
“Nope, the guys are coming over,” he replied, “Car’s free.”
 
He tossed me the keys and with a quick bye, I was out the door.
 
* * *
 
“Morning, ahjumma!” I called out as I ran into the shop and straight to the back.
 
“Good morning, ~~~~” my boss replied. 
 
I changed into my uniform and was at my post within a matter of minutes, ready to serve costumers. 
 
For the next 8 hours I put on a smile and served every single person that walked through that door, trying to ignore my pounding head ache. Everybody knew that I got a  bit moody whenever I lacked sleep. I wasn’t Khun, who could go days without sleep and not have anything to show for it. Me, on the other hand, if I didn’t get my full rest, I got very irritable. But today I had to it up. Work is work, and no matter what I have to be professional.
 
‘Just think about something to take your mind off the headache,’ I told myself, ‘Yesterday was a pretty okay day, besides the movie.’
 
Yesterday.
 
Yesterday I rode in the same care as Taec. Yesterday Taec hugged me outside my front door. Yesterday Taec and I were alone together.
 
But then again, nothing happened yesterday.
 
“Hi, I’m ~~~~, I’ll be your waitress for today, may I take your order?” my usual line. Yesterday kept flashing in my head as I took the customer’s orders. I mechanically walked back to the kitchen, giving the cooks the order then walking back to take more orders. Still, I wasn’t there, I was in the past. I was still at the day before.
 
‘Second date,’ I thought, ‘He said 2nd date. Maybe--’
 
I mentally slapped myself.
 
‘Cool it, ~~~~, don’t get ahead of yourself. He meant it as a joke. Duh.’
 
But why?
 
“Two turkeys on wheat!” the cook called out and I ran back into the kitchen to get the order and bring it to the customers. 
 
‘Get a hold of yourself, ~~~~,’ I thought, ‘You’re at work, think about this some other time!’
 
And I did. For the rest of the time I had before my break, I pushed everything that had to do with yesterday out of my head and focused on getting paid. I received pretty good tips. That usually happens when I actually concentrate on work. By the end of my first shift, even my boss was satisfied and decided I could take an hour break, instead of the usual half hour. Satisfied with myself, I walked to the back and got out my lunch.
 
It wasn’t long before my boss called my name out again, and I ran outside thinking she regretted the long break she’d just given me. Preparing for the worst, I walked out front, my hair pulled back, my sleeves rolled up and drying my wet hands on my apron (I had just washed my hands).
 
As soon as I walk out, who do I see? Ok Taecyeon standing there with a lunch sack, and that beautiful smile plastered across his face. It took me a few minutes to realize I had just been standing there, staring at him baffled.
 
“This young man came down to see you,” my boss said, giving me a knowing smile.
 
“Hi, ~~~~,” Taec said grinning.
 
“Oh,” I said, coming back down to earth, “Hi oppa! What are you doing here?”
 
“Just dropped by to see if you wanted to have lunch,” he replied, “When’s your break? I brought food.”
 
My insides exploded and I felt like there was rainbows and pixies floating around inside me.
 
“I’m on break right now, actually,” I responded, “Go grab a table, and I’ll be right there.” Taec nodded and walked to a table in the back of the room. Giddy, I ran back to my locker, almost tripping over myself. My heart was racing. He was here for me, to have lunch with ME.
 
Quickly I straightened my hair, reapplied my makeup and went back to Taec, trying my best not to look too eager. 
 
He waved at me when he saw me approach and I sat down in front of him with a stupid smile on my face. 
 
“Welcome back,” he said, as he got everything out from his lunch sack and set it on the table.
 
“Hi,” I responded and watched him curiously, “So… what are you doing here?”
 
He looked up at me, “Khun told me about your headache and how you couldn’t sleep last night because of the movie. I felt bad so I decided to try and make it up for you.”
 
Are you serious? Can you get any more perfect?
 
“Awe, that’s sweet,” I said, “You didn’t have to. The headache is going away.”
 
Taec didn’t say anything, he simply smiled and finished setting everything on the table. He handed me a plate where he placed 6 rolls of sushi. He did the same for his own plate, then poured 2 tall glasses of iced tea. He set up the wasabi and ginger, handed me my chopsticks and smiled.
 
“There you go,” he said, “I hope you like them, I made them myself.”
 
Just marry me now, Ok Taecyeon.
 
I was amazed. He did all of this for me. 
 
I shyly picked up a roll of sushi and ate it, savoring the taste. It had been a while since I had eaten sushi.
 
“I know it’s been a while since you had sushi,” Taec said, “So I went ahead and made you some, since I knew you’d probably be craving.”
 
Damn, he’s good.
 
“Thank you so much, Oppa,” I said, “But you really didn’t have to do this.”
 
“Don’t worry about it,” he replied, “It’s the least I could do for my favorite dongsaeng.”
 
I looked at him.
 
“I’m glad you look out for me, oppa.”
 
“You’re my best friend’s little sister,” Taec replied, “Why wouldn’t I look out for you?”
 
There we go again with the sister thing. I sighed.
 
“Oppa…”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Do you like someone now, oppa?” I asked, picking at one of my sushi rolls. I could feel Taec’s eyes on me and when I dared to look up he smiled at me. He set down his chopstick and clasped his hands, looking out the window to the busy street. I sat patiently waiting for an answer.
 
“At the moment, no.”
 
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
 
“I’m not really looking for anyone right now,” Taec continued, “I have way too much on my mind to worry about a girl.”
 
“I see.”
 
Silence. We sat like that for a good while, just eating and looking out the window, watching costumers go in and out. It was a good thing the shop wasn’t as busy when I was on break, otherwise I’d have to cut this little date short.
 
… Date.
 
I looked at my watch. Only 15 minutes left of my break. I looked up at Taec who was cleaning up his eating area.
 
“Oppa?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“What am I to you?”
 
I looked at Taec and he smiled, “What you are to me?” I nodded, bracing myself for the answer.
 
“~~~~, you are my dear little dongsaeng. Because of you my day is a little brighter and less boring. I’m glad your parents decided to have you and you made me wish I had a little sister too, just like Khun.”
 
I smiled, although I didn’t know why. That was not the answer I wanted to hear.
 
“I know that’s probably not what you want to hear,” he continued, “But you have to know that you’re always gonna be my best friend’s little sister.”
 
“Oppa,” I said, looking at him, “I promise I’ve grown up…when will you believe me?”
 
He smiled at me and held my hand, “Maybe one day.”
 
My heart melted.
 
“~~~~!” my boss said, “Break’s over in 5! Your boyfriend can come back later!”
 
“Ahjumma, he’s not my--” I didn’t even wanna try. 
 
“You better go before you get in trouble,” Taec said, letting go of my hand, “I’ll clean up here.”
 
“You sure?”
 
“Yep.”
 
“Okay. Good bye, oppa!”
 
“Bye, ~~~~.”
 
I walked away, my smile bittersweet. One day didn’t seem so bad.
 
--------------------------------------------
This is the chapter I spent all day working on only to find that I couldn't post it on Winglin =_= As of today I love AsianFanfics<3 lol
I hope you guys liked this one~
xoxo clefairy~