| 25 ; selfishness ; |

The 'Game of Nowhere'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

❝selfishness;
_______________________________________________________________________________
                                  If my selfishness could save you, I would be selfish until the end.

KAI's second perspective 

““Is there really no way to save you anymore?” A familiar voice from behind asked. My breathing hitched; something underneath that question didn’t settle well with me. “No turning back to the Chanyeol we once knew?”

Chanyeol’s eyes drifted to the newcomers as Luhan and Tao entered the scene. Tao silently tailed after Luhan, eyes downcast and fingers fidgety. Something around my partner scared me. Everything felt wrong.

“Luhan, how did you know that we are here?” Fear crept into my voice and it came out as a croak. I realized how dry my throat was.

He gave me a glance and rolled his eyes as he tapped his temple with a finger. “We have connection, remember?”

I cursed under my breath. It was the first time I hated the link we have between us.

I heard Chanyeol stifle a laugh so I turned back my attention towards him. “Bloodthirst.” He commented which confused me. “Or fear? Or was it both?”

Neither Luhan nor Tao answered.

“What do you mean?” I asked Chanyeol.

Chanyeol pondered upon the question as he stared at me. After a few seconds, he decided to open his mouth. “Your partner came to kill me…” He trailed off and looked at Luhan again. “Did I stated it harshly?”

Luhan’s lips were pressed to a thin line, a dark shadow in his eyes. I wanted him to say something, to prove Chanyeol wrong but he didn’t. He just clenched his fists.

“Luhan!” I demanded, quite offended by his silence that worsened my suspicion.

The said boy averted his gaze to me. His face was unreadable in the eerie light of the lake. “I’m sorry, Kai, but I am doing this to save you. To save the rest of us.”

I shook my head in disbelief. “No.” I muttered. “You are not saving me. You are saving yourself.” Tears came to my eyes again.

“So you do admit.” He smiled at me dreadfully. “It is not a matter of who I am saving. It is a matter of who is the threat and Chanyeol is our biggest threat.”

I tried to argue but no words came. Deep within me I know that what he said was true but a part of me wanted to believe he was wrong. Part of me don’t want to be rational, I just want to save Park Chanyeol despite all the things I witnessed. As if my subconscious mind overtook my being, I told Chanyeol to run. However, something in his eyes told me he has no plan to.

“Not too fast, Kai.” Luhan called out. “Though I don’t think Chanyeol wants to escape, just to be sure you won’t drag him and run… Boundary Line, activate!”

A blinding golden light drew a line, stretching to all directions. It has the same aura as the protective barrier Luhan set up earlier. I was taken aback and tripped over myself, head almost submerging back to the water. My chest tightened as the feeling of his betrayal has finally set in. There was one thought that hit my mind at that moment: We were trapped, Chanyeol was trapped.

“Why are you doing this?” I shouted in rage. “For what valid reasons?”

Luhan stared at me incredulously as if there’s something strange with what I just said. “Reasons?” He chuckled. “There will never be a v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter