| 16 ; bound to happen ; |

The 'Game of Nowhere'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

❝bound to happen

___________________________________________________________________________
                                 No matter how hard it is to accept, there are just things that can't be avoided, things that are bound to happen

Yixing's perspective 

When Luhan sent Chen flying backwards, everyone fell completely out of order. Kai fell silent and dropped to his knees. Xiumin ran and tried to calm down the enraged Luhan. Kyungsoo and I scurried to Chen’s side.

“Chen, are you all right?” I knelt beside him. “Sorry for what Luhan did. He goes out of control sometimes.”

“Can you stand?” Kyungsoo offered a hand.

“Yeah, somehow.” Chen managed to smile and reached out for Kyungsoo.

When their hands touched, Kyungsoo and I were left aghast. In front of our eyes, Chen dissolved into thin air. Kyungsoo stumbled backwards staring at his own hand. I blinked twice, unable to believe what we just witnessed.

“What the hell happened just now?” I asked with a shaky voice.

“Was it my fault?” Kyungsoo messed up his hair.

“I don’t know.” I slouched down to the ground. “We just have to hope and assume he isn’t dead.”

A moment later, Luhan got into the scene. “Chen! Sand up and ans…” His voice faltered. “Where is he?”

“No one knows, man.” I shook my head. “He just vanished.”

Upon hearing the conversation, Kai and Xiumin came rushing in. Kai’s eyes dimmed for a sec, I’ve noticed. “This might not be good.” He muttered under his breath.

“Gosh!” Xiumin let out a frustrated sigh. “Why is this happening?”

“For now, all we can do is to wait.” Kai turned serious again. “He’ll be back.” He stared at me and mouthed something. I don’t know if I got it right but I think it goes like this: But as a different person. I don’t understand what he means with that but I know it is not a good thing.

Unexpectedly, the skies darkened. Thunder rolled and the clouds departed. Through lightning, another two-lined poem made itself visible to us.

AS THE SCORPION’S STING WOULD RISE UP
 COST IS A LIFE TO MAKE IT STOP

“What is this again?” Luhan was now totally pissed off. “Another part of the prophecy? This is hell!”

“This is faster than I expected.” Kai took a deep breath. “I am going to suffer a mental breakdown.”

The predictive line dissolved and a figure started falling from the sky. I heard Kyungsoo gasped.

“It’s Chen!” He shot to his feet. “Catch him or he’ll die.” Together, the five of us sprinted to where Chen would hit the ground but he is in free fall. We will not be able to make it in time.

“I’ll go ahead.”Kai was short for air and is paler than the rest. “I’ll teleport.”

“Wait!” Luhan grabbed him and stopped running. “He is gone again.”

“WHAT?!” All of us looked up and found he’s right.

“Looking for him?” A voice asked from behind.

We all turned to look and found Kris, wings wide open, with Chen in a bridal carry. “I found him falling from the sky and I was like, ‘How the hell did he got there?’” He raged. “When I went to catch him, he was unconscious and he keeps muttering about scorpions. I noticed a strange burnt mark in his forearm and he’s got fever. Now, tell me, what exactly happened?” He put Chen down, struggling with weight.

“No one knows exactly, Kris.” I let out a sigh. “I wish I do but no, I don’t. Everything is really a mystery.” I approached them and knelt beside Chen to check his temperature.

“So, are you telling me that he just vanished in front of your eyes and the next you knew is that he’s already falling from the sky?” He meant to sound philosophical.

“It may sound impossible but… that what exactly happened.” Xiumin informed. “Like seriously.”

Kris’ mouth hanged open. He really can’t believe it. Poor him.

I rolled up Chen’s sleeve to check the mark mentioned earlier and I found it quite leery. The pattern is awfully disturbing.

“Isn’t the mark obnoxiously familiar?” I called their attention by asking.

“It does not make sense for me.” Kris inanely commented.

I rolled my eyes. “Come on. I am serious here.”

“It resembles a constellation, right?” Xiumin propounded. “I just can’t name it.”

“It is Scorpio, isn’t it?” Luhan gave Kai a glance. “I think it is a cryptic message or a partial fulfillment of the prophecy.”

I looked at Kai to see how he is taking it but I see no reactions. I cleared my throat. “Let us consider it as is but what about the ‘sting’ part?”

“Maybe he is stung or something.” Kyungsoo spoke out his mind.

An idea hit my mind. “Maybe you’re right.” My curiosity kicked in. “Who’s got a knife?”

Kai handed me one within a second. He always does that. He can make things appear if he wants to. He gave us no attention; I figured he was deep in thought. I let it pass and did not ask him anything. I held Chen’s wrist and wounded his pointing finger. Blood started trickling into the blade.

“What are you going to do?” Kris knelt before me. “How will you prove the theory?”

I ignored him and focused on my plan. I let the blood drip to the knife and when I felt contented, I cured the wound. The clotting time was somehow long so I asked Xiumin to drop the temperature and in the process, I noticed semi-liquid particles separating from the plasma. I took a sample and tasted it with the tip of my tongue.

“It’s venom.” I spit it on the ground. “That’s the first part. If it happened literally, it means…” I faltered.

“The second part will also happen literally.” Kai nodded and finished my sentence.

All of us stiffened and fell silent. Cost is a life to make it stop, huh? Of whose life is that, no one wants to know.

“Let’s mind about that later.” Kai broke the atmosphere. “As for now, we have to heal him first.”

“I guess you’re right.” Luhan was the first to respond. “Use teleportation to bring Chen to the camp. We have all the supplies there…”

“Got it.” Kai snapped. “Everyone take care. I’ll go ahead first.” He knelt beside Chen and they disappeared.

“Camp?” Kyungsoo and Xiumin asked in unison.

“Yes.” Kris started to spread his wings again. “A camp which appeared mysteriously like that Asylum. Well then, I gotta go.” And off he flew in just a blur of black.

******

The camp was a typical one if you consider the outside-look. There was a simple campfire and one simple tent. Nothing seems strange but when you get to look on the tent’s interior, it will left your jaw hanging. Once you get inside, you’ll never think of it as a tent, it’s more like a mansion. The floor was adorned with mosaic tiles and elegant chandeliers hung on the ceiling. Magnificent paintings complimented with the walls and bronze sculptures can be found in every corner. There were fancy yet cozy upholstery that are very inviting and the whole house smelled liked fresh home-baked goodies. So delicious. I wanna drool.

“So you’ve all arrived.” Kai called from the corridor on our left. “They’re at the master’s bedroom located at the far end of that corridor.” He pointed at the other hallway. “I’ll follow later. I have to change first.” And he went inside a room. Kai just obviously finished his shower. His hair is still dripping wet and is being dried

with a towel. He is wearing a white bathrobe and a clean white shirt is hanging neatly on his shoulder.

“Make yourselves comfortable.” I told Kyungsoo and Xiumin. “There’s plenty of food in the kitchen and a lot of rooms for a nap. There are also three bathrooms available so feel free. We still have to check upon Chen.” I hooked my arms with Lu-ge.

“We could accompany the two of you till then.” Xiumin offered.

“No.” I smiled and shook my head. “No, thanks. You two need rest. I can feel you two no longer have the energy. Rest for a while.”

“Okay.” Xiumin lazily agreed. “I wanna eat first.”

“Me, too.” Kyungsoo nodded in accord and they sluggishly headed to the kitchen.

As the two disappeared in the kitchen, Luhan and I started a silent conversation while go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter