Suspicion

The Rose with Thorns

Junhong’s POV

Watching my class mates walk out from the school, I waved my hand and smiled saying goodbye, “Junhong see you in class tomorrow.” A friend punched my shoulder before waving back at me and running to catch the school bus. I stood outside the schools front gates and let out a deep breath before casually placing my hands in my front trouser pockets. I hung my head low and kicked small rocks out onto the road while waiting for Daehyun to walk out from school.

It usually didn’t take this long, I stared at my watch to see he was 5 minutes late which was unusual, getting tired of standing, I crouched down and looked up at the many people who walked past and out from the school, my mind went blank as I blinked to see Daehyun walk straight passed me without looking back,

‘Did he just forget about me?’      

I quickly stood up and reached out for his shoulder, opening up my mouth to call out for his name when a figure pushed past hurriedly, without control my hand flew back and a slap was heard along with a loud howl. I quickly turned around to apologise but before I could say anything the guy grabbed me by the collar and threw a punch that stopped just inches away from my nose. I backed away slowly to see Daehyun holding the guy back by he’s pressure points on he’s arm.

‘Kim HimChan’

He’s name tag read, Daehyun release the guy and he quickly held his arm back in pain before letting out a low stern growl and starring back up at me, seeing this Daehyun frowned and grabbed my arm pulling me behind him, the guy was prepared to attack again when a girl grabbed hold of his hand and pulled him away.

I watched in surprise to see him turn back and eye me giving one last glare before looking away, I glanced over to the girl beside him who took a glimpse back at me, I blinked a couple of times capturing her sharp features and pure complex skin tone, she was beautiful. I took my time to watch and stare when a sudden nudge to the side caught me of guard, 

“Done staring yet?” his voice cooed, I kept my composure to feel my cheeks heat up, clearing my throat I let out chuckle to see him smile, “Come on, let’s go home,” he tugged on the end of my shoulder blade and walked straight ahead as I slowly trailed behind.

I loosened my tie as the door to our apartment complex opened, sliding off my shoes placed them aside and hung my blazer up before dropping my bag beside my bedroom door frame.  I made my way to the kitchen table to see Daehyun looking through the mail, silently I sat down across from him to see his eye twitch but not once did his gaze leave the sheet of paper.

“Junhong, are you hungry? Go make yourself instant noodles,” knowing that he wouldn’t notice I rolled my eyes, it was always the same thing, Instant noodles. I got up and looked in the fridge and draws for something different but there was nothing and I should have known.

“Hyung could you please cook tonight? It’s been awhile since we had a decent meal and instant noodles aren’t always that filling.” I stared at him from behind and looked over his shoulder, the bill this time was two times more than the last and right that moment I just felt guilty for asking.

“Never mind, I was being selfish,” I slid my fingers through my front pocket and pulled out the money from this morning and placed it on the counter before walking off into the bathroom. I took a cold shower without realising and changed into a pair of jeans and shirt wearing a jacket over it too keep warm. Opening the bathroom door I blinked in surprise to hear something being heated up in the kitchen, quickly making my way over I caught Daehyun rolling he’s eyes playfully at me.

“You rascal, you didn’t even buy lunch for yourself today.” I smiled at him to see chicken roasting in the oven, rice being set in the rice cooker and eggrolls were being grilled, I was thank-full, “Great, I forgot the most important dish,” I looked back at him blankly and he stared back at me, “Kimchi…” Daehyun didn’t look too happy; it was one of our childhood dishes.

“I can go buy it hyung,” without looking back I ran into my room and opened up my draw to take with me a few coins that I had saved up,  quickly rushing back out I shoved my foot into my converse and ran out the door. I hurried along the Han River and into the nearest convenient store to buy a tub of kimchi and quickly ran my way back when the colours of the Han River stopped me.

It was my first time taking notice of it for a while, I slowly walked my way back when I caught sight of a still doll like figured girl staring out into the distance. She was alone; did she not know the danger of a girl sitting alone by herself at night? I slowly made my way up to her, crouching down to her level to see her eyes wide open, she didn’t flinch or twitch a muscle, it amazed me but yet it was strange.

‘Is she day dreaming?’

I waved my hand in front of her and there was still no movement, this wasn’t an actual live figured doll was it? I looked around to see what exactly what she was staring at, but all there was, was the river. I turned back to look at her and it surprised me when I realised she was asleep, A person who sleeps with her eyes open, I raised my hand to snap my fingers but almost instantly a hand grabbed me by my wrist and twisted it, I flinched and my insides jumped from the sudden touch, I pulled my hand back and glared at the girl in pain to see her send back a blank expression and that’s when I realised,

“You, you were the girl before, with that guy… your boyfriend, I-I’m sorry I didn’t mean to touch you or anything, it’s just that you were sleeping with your eyes open and it isn’t right for you to be out here by yourself.” I stumered to see her stare at me confused but her confused expression then turned into a blank one. 

There was an awkward silence, did I say something wrong? Was I being disrespectful?  Wait a minute, why should I be concerned about being disrespectful to her, for all I know she could be younger than me.

God this silence was killing me. I looked up at her face again, It’ll be awkward to just leave I needed to at least ask for her name. I cleared my throat and tilted my head to get a better view of her, “So what’s your name?”      

She lifted her head and stared back at me, it almost looked like she was trying hard not to roll her eyes. There was no reply except the sound of her phone vibrating in her front left pocket. I glanced over and watched as she pulled out her phone to answer but without saying anything the person

across the line cut in and talked first, I tried to listen in close, I know it was bad to ears drop but good hearing ran in the family so what could I do.

“Yoon Sera, where are you right now?” A male voice panted across the line, could it be her boyfriend? I glanced over and observed her facial expression that was still blank. Was Yoon Sera her name? “Aghh fine, be the mute you are, but you better meet up at headquarters, Yongguk will be here soon,” I froze on the spot before shifting my gaze back on her as she left, did I just hear wrong?

Bang Yongguk, Should I tell Daehyun about this? But what if I’m wrong? I should just keep my eyes out for now,

Yoon Sera, I hope you’re not a bad person