Patience

The Rose with Thorns

Sera’s POV:

I spun the pen around my fingers continuously, I couldn’t help it. It was a habit. The clock passed by so slowly that I couldn’t help but get frustrated, without realising I turned to look at the boy beside me, I sat back and stared for a while, I couldn’t really think, my mind was just blank. I noticed the corner of his eye started too twitched in annoyance, realising that I was staring for too long, I blinked before looking away, and I guess he felt a little uncomfortable.

Staring at the watch on my wrist ‘only five minutes left sera’ my conscious told me, “Only five more minutes” I repeated to myself. Getting inpatient I started clicking the top of my biro, it was probably the worst thing to do when the class was so quiet, everyone stopped what they were doing to look over at me, “Who is making that annoying sound?” I looked up at the teacher and stopped almost immediately, she tilted her head to one side and stared straight at me. I swallowed hard and blinked before avoiding her gaze.

I couldn’t sit still for another minute,

I could feel my clammy hands gripping the pen that slid in every direction trying to escape my grasp. I noticed my feet unintentionally started tapping against the floorboards, I felt like I was suffocating in this atmosphere.

My eyes drifted along the classroom hoping that time would pass by.  I examined the clock at the front of the class, the minute hand barely moved, I looked back and stared at the pen in my hand, before I was able to grip onto it, it dropped from hands. I eyed it as it rolled on the floor and landed next to him. 

Just before I could inch forward to grab my pen, he shifted and grabbed the biro, everything in that moment seemed to last forever, the way his hair lifted against the gravity that pulled him down, his eyes as they were focused on the very object, his long eyelashes, I saw every fine detail on his smooth complexion I even noticed the small mole under his eye, this class was taking way too long.

“Umm here” I was too focused on him that I forgot I was staring for too long, he handed me the pen which I took from his hands.

“Tha-“

Before I could finish I was shushed by the school bell, looking around blankly everyone gathered their books and left the room, I was alone. I stood up and made my way out to the hall way and down to my locker, that’s when I saw him again, I’m pretty sure he noticed me too, but then again it was so hard to believe anything because of his poker face.   

I walked to my locker and prepared myself for last period before looking through my bag for lunch, just when I thought I was free to have 40 minutes all to myself and unwanted presence appeared in front of me. 

“Why did you run away from me this morning? You don’t understand how much your actions hurt people do you?” I tried to ignore him but the way he leaned against the lockers oh so cockily I just had to look up telling him to back away a bit, I didn’t need a watch dog, he’s just interfering with my business, I’m sure I can finish things up by myself. Himchan continued to blabber on about himself, as If I care; I had no intention on listening. No longer standing the sight of his face I walked away leaving him staggered,

“Sera, are you even listening to me?”  

I could hear him yelling from far away something about respect and that I should listen more, I seriously have better things to do than just talk about ridiculous things that are completely unrelated to our mission.  Having nothing to do, I sat quietly inside the classroom waiting for our next class.

Break time was taking forever, everything seemed to take forever. All I wanted right now was to go home.  How can people stay in this class room for 6 hours straight five days a week when I was entirely bored out of my mind in the first 30 minutes, I can’t believe how two years ago I could stand sitting in class all by myself for that long.  

“Is there a Yoon Sera in this class?”

I looked up to see a boy roughly my age, he peered around from the door frame and laid his eyes on me. He had tanned skinned and brown hair that looked like he took well over an hour styling. I stared back at him blankly while rising from my seat, wondering what he wanted from me. Walking towards him he held out he’s hand,

“Hello, I’m Moon Jongup, student leader, and captain of the soccer team. I’ll be touring you around the school.” I shook his hand and he quickly pulled away with no emotion at all, it seems like he was forced to do it or he had no interest in anything or maybe he just didn’t like me. But I didn’t mind, I was teased and judged all my life.

“Well if you just follow me,” gesturing his hand towards the door, I followed him from behind as he toured me around the school, I guess things started off awkward but he later on started talking about him being the captain of the soccer team and how high his status is in this school was and that I should be lucky he was even doing this kind of thing.

“Okay so this is our last stop the gym.” I could tell he was relieved and that he could no longer bear being in the same space with me, not that I cared, I just couldn’t wait to go home and sleep for the next eight hours or more, if there was no training tonight that would have been a big relief.

I followed him back to my classroom, only then I realised that everyone inside was already packing up getting ready to head home. It was about time, my attention span can only handle so many hours of people speaking about things I already know. 

Packing my belongings inside my bag, I grabbed my phone and slide it in my pocket before zipping up my bag and carrying it over my shoulders. I walked towards the door only to be stopped by my homeroom teacher, the lady starred down at me in confusion.

“Where are you going? The bell hasn’t gone yet, sit down,” I stared back up at her, trying my best to hold the urge to role my eyes, holding my temper isn’t really something I was good at but in this case I may have to keep a low profile, I tightened my fists trying to fight back the thirst of ripping this ladies face off, the way she gave off that fake smile of hers this morning, only to give unnecessary greases after wards was infuriating, I know it was wrong to think this but I couldn’t help it, I hated being told off but Yongguk was an exception. I sighed as I headed back to my seat only to earn a few snickers from my classmates near me.

Just before I could stand to a stop, the school bell rung and I turned around making my way outside the school. Finally, I walked out of the school grounds to then hear a figure run after me, and my legs automatically started running, it felt like danger and I pushed everyone aside that was in my way to escape when a loud slap followed by a howling growl was heard,

Yoon Sera, What the hell just happen?