Awkward Silence

The Rose with Thorns

Daehyun’s POV


I could not erase the scene of that night from my head, it all seemed too unreal. A girl with blue eyes, I wasn’t just imagining things right? The way she held the blade like she knew what she was doing but not being able to strike because of sudden fear? I was too deep into thought to even notice Junhong poking my side; he was easily annoyed with my undesirable attention.


He cursed under his breath before lightly tracing his finger at the back of my neck making me think there was a knife cutting through my skin, with fast reflexes I turned around and grabbed him by the collar getting ready to throw a punch when I saw the smirk on his face, I rolled my eyes at him as he pushed my hand away coldly, “Geez, if this is the only way to get your attention I should just kill myself,” he commented dusting himself of, I smiled and continued walking along the pavement as he followed from behind, I could tell he was still annoyed.


“What were you thinking of anyways? We already killed that man last night, is there something else on your mind?” He quickened up to my past with his long legs and stared down at my side as I viewed what was right ahead of me, “Nothing.” I simply answered to hear an unsatisfied scoff from him,

“If you don’t tell me I’m going to run off and get myself into trouble again,” I glared at him sending daggers to see him chuckle in return, “I was just kidding, but remember what you promised me? No more secrets, the last time you did this I almost got killed,”


I let a slight smile before remembering back to the incident where Jung Hong was half beaten to death because of my reckless mistake, my decision of keeping everything to myself isn’t really a good idea when you have a brother that’s always following you around and getting into your business because he thinks he knows what’s going on, when all you did was told lies.

“Junhong, what time is-” before I could finish my sentence I was pushed aside, being knocked out of balance I fell,  quickly I composed myself and stood up straight, looking up ahead to see the person was already far ahead of me.

 

“Who the hell? Hey! Watch where you’re going!” Junhong  howled  before looking back at me, I gave him a nod, saying that I was fine but before I could even resume to my thoughts another figure rushed by making me stumble, this time it was a much manlier figure. A hand quickly reached out and pulled me back into place he looked irritated,

“What is with these people? Seriously is not that hard to distinguish a pathway and a human”. I could hear the annoyed tone in his voice.

“Whatever let’s just hurry to class,” I really didn’t have time venting my anger over someone I didn’t even know.

 

I opened the door into class to see the teacher look at me unamused with my constant lateness; she crossed her arms and frowned at me “Jung DaeHyun, how many times have I warned you about coming in late for homeroom? It’s not like this time of the day is not important, would you like me to ring up your mother about this? I’m sure she wouldn’t-“

“There’s no need.” I cut her short not interested to hear the rest of her sentence, I made way down to my seat and slumped down into my usual posture and as usual drifted off into my thoughts, I stared at the clock dreading how many hours I would have to wait until this mind-numbing class is over.

I felt a sudden pair of eyes on me, realising the teacher was looking my way, I thought to myself ‘What was the problem now? ’I met eyes with her but only then I realise it wasn’t me she was paying attention to, I turned around to find behind me a girl, black raven hair, pale white skin and the most unnatural chocolate brown eyes, those fake chocolate brown eyes reminded of someone .

I watched as the teacher faced the students, gripping on her chair “Class, as you may know we have a new student” her hand gestured to a girl who sat behind me. “Please, introduce yourself to the class” she flashed a warm smile but the girl she referred to had shown no affection in return.  I could hear the class whisper as she rose from her seat. They waited eagerly to hear what she was going to say but there was nothing just a faint mumble that made me think I was hearing things, the teacher gulped, I watched amusingly as she straightened her posture

“Right, ehem well get to know our new student in your own time, and welcome her…” She said trying to brush off the awkward tension that filled the air, this was really odd, who was this girl to make our teacher so speechless? It got me thinking, never has this school had any new transfer students, why suddenly now?

Flick

Click

Flick

Click

The constant sound made me so distracted and annoyed that I had completely forgotten my main focus, since it just slipped out of my mind so easily I assumed it wasn’t that necessary, I slumped into my original state and decided to not care anymore.

“Everyone let’s start the day off with a small activity, grab a partner and let’s get started,” a woman in her late twenties strolled in with a bland look on her face you could tell she lacked sleep by the black bags under eyes along with her pale completion.

I hadn’t notice that the students around the class started moving their tables around to form groups of two. I let out a tired yawn and tilted my head to the side to see the girl earlier had moved her table beside me, I guess there was really no other person to work with since I really didn’t have any friends in this class, the only close friend I have was Jung Hong. I shifted slightly trying to get a better view, I watched her from the corner of my eyes, the pen around her fingers spun freely. So that was the annoying sound that kept me from concentrating from earlier on.

She looked up at me and stopped what she was doing, “Do you understand these questions?” I asked, to see her blink at me and look away trying to avoid eye contact; she kept silent and pulled out a blank piece of paper from her book writing down her name in the bottom right hand corner,

‘Yoon Sera…&’ her eyes slowly trailed over to my book and she starred at it before writing the next part ‘&… Jung DaeHyun’ I watched her as she wrote out the question, answering each and every one of them in long paragraphs before handing the sheet of paper back to me, I starred at her as she went back to spinning her pen.

The questions were answered in less than ten minutes and to my surprise it was neatly written out without no mistakes and high grammar qualities.

Yoon Sera, What the hell is this?