Second Killing

The Rose with Thorns

 

 

Staring blankly in the distance, I thought about yesterday’s events. It all had seemed too surreal to me. I had killed my father, who had killed my mother. Who would actually believe that story? They just ignorantly made a conclusion on how my parents were already murdered when I came home. Those ignorant people…

My current foster family was just a typical family; a wealthy background, kind parents and of course, the y sister. Although she was a few years older, I sometimes begged to differ. Yoobin had a mental capacity of an eight year old spoilt brat. If she didn’t get what she wanted, all hell would basically break loose.

Despite all of her flaws, I couldn’t help but to feel envious of her. She had parents that loved her, a stable life and she had everything she wanted. I would always gaze intently at her, but she would misinterpret it in the wrong way and look at me with disgust. “Stop looking at me like that. Your eyes scare me.” I would always look away from her, ashamed of myself.

I still remember that unfortunate incident that occurred three months ago. It was the music box that had caused everything to happen.

Clank!

The lightly toned box fell down from the shelf with a thud. Shocked, I scrutinised the box for any cracks or scars but I was relieved that it was still in perfect condition. As I was about to put it back where it belonged, the door opened with a loud bang. “What are you doing, touching my belongings? Who said you could!?” Her high-pitched screams irritated my ears as I felt my right eye twitch with anger. As she turned her back and walked away, I suddenly heard her laughter which made me look at her. “Ah, you wanted to steal this, right? I knew it. Go on, take it. I have no use for that worthless anyway.”

I looked at her strangely, making sure that I had placed it nicely back on the shelf. “Che, what a thief; I bet she inherited that trait from her goddamn parents. Ha! It runs in the family! I pray that your family rots in Hell!” Once I heard her maniacal cackles fade away, I punched the wall with my fist multiple times. I shook with anger as I held my bloodied fist tightly. Glaring at the door, I swore to myself that I would never forgive her.

Enraged by her words, I had had enough. I just wanted to escape this godforsaken place. I grabbed a pile of my clothes and stuffed it in my suitcase. I would be happier to live on the streets than in this hellhole. I stopped packing midway as I realised that I couldn’t just leave. I had to take revenge on Yoobin, after insulting my parents. Smirking, I pushed the suitcase under the bed and calmly walked towards the bathroom where Yoobin was.

Her off-tune singing echoed in the empty hallway, as my footsteps gradually sounded closer towards the room. My mind was in a mess, but I didn’t care at all. I slowly opened the door, to reveal Yoobin in the bathtub, surrounded by bubbles and rose petals. I was about to call her name when I noticed the earphones that were in her ears and grinned darkly.

Everything had gone by in a flash; my arms were pushing her down, her panicked face begging for mercy. She flailed her arms and tried to gasp for air, but it was all in vain as she ended up swallowing water. I saw her alarmed eyes, flickering from up and down. It was amusing to see this vulnerable side of her. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I silently chuckled as I had let the limp body sink into the depths of the water, the rose petals and the bubbles hiding most of the surface.

I stepped backwards and gazed at the bathtub for a few seconds before running out into the hallway. Slamming the bedroom door, I noticed the blood-red petals that were stuck on my arms. I clutched my head in pain as the petals only brought back memories of that haunting day. I remembered at how drops of blood were on my arms and how the corpse just laid there peacefully.

Tears of my mixed emotions fell freely as I heard the cries of Yoobin’s parents. She was lucky to have parents that actually cared for her. I felt the guilt seep into my heart as I heard the agonizing sobs of my foster parents. My heart wrenched in pain and I couldn’t take it anymore. Slamming the suitcase shut, I fled out of the house and made my way back to the house that I used to call my home. Stepping over the yellow line that had a label that said ‘dangerous’, I opened the door and made my way to my room with tears streaming from my eyes.

Regret filled my mind as I opened my suitcase. If only Yoobin didn’t say those words, would the outcome still be the same?

 

Yoon Sera, you’re such an idiot.