In the Stars

Unfinished
Please log in to read the full chapter

Gif (x)

Start: June 14, 2014
(Un)finished: December 27, 2014

Based off this dream.
And I watched Shutter Island.
Which is a good movie. Check it out! :)
And also a movie called The Dust Factory.

-----x-----x-----x-----

 

I was laying on the ground, looking up at the stars wondering how I got here in the first place. My parents told me it was a family vacation. A little island with the most perfect beach and absolutely stunning sunset every night. What they did not tell me was that is was home to a tiny so-called insane asylum. Which was where I was staying while they got to stay at a nice little resort on the island across from this one. The reason? My family thinks I am seeing and talking to my apparently "dead" boyfriend. The thing is though is that he isn't even dead. He just went away one day. Leaving nothing but a star necklace and small note, "You can find me in the stars."

And that's what I was doing. Trying to find him in the stars. Like I did every night. He didn't always show himself, but I knew he was definitely always there.

"Yongguk... Where are you. I need you."

I looked all around and he wasn't in sight. But when I stood up to walk away a star twinkled and fell from the sky. "And where do you think you're off to angel?" I ran to the man I was starring at and jumped into his arms. He quickly put me down.

"Woah there, careful. Don't waste all my energy. You know it takes up quite a bit to touch you."

I nodded my head. I forgot that this form of him wasn't actually him. It was like a holograph or a ghost or something. To make a part of him materialize took a lot of energy. Energy he needed to be here to talk to me. And I probably already wasted like half of it. Way to go self.

"Anyway Laurel, what did you need me for tonight." He gave me a gummy smile, big and bright enough to put the stars to shame.

"I don't want to be here. I'm not crazy like people think. Where are you? When are you coming back?" I reached out for him. Only to retract because I knew I shouldn't touch him.

He looked at me and used one finger to my cheek. "Angel, I know. You tell me every night. And don't worry I'm closer than you think. I'll be back soon."

A door opened in the distance and out stepped my nurse. "Dear, it's time for bed."

"Coming Shae!" I looked at Yongguk's face. Who knows when the next time I'll see it will be. I nodded towards him and he nodded back. He faded in and out and all that was left behind was what looked like little sparkles of fairy dust. I walked back inside where my nurse Shae helped me pick out clothes for the next day. I put my pajamas on and took the medication the doctors made me take. Except I never really took it. After the first week I had started hiding it in a little hole I had found in my pillow. They were supposed to make you sleep better and they did. But they also caused you to not dream and dreams were the only place I could see Yongguk every single night. So I laid down and drifted into a star filled dream.

 

Over the next few days everything went on normally. I stayed to myself only occasionally talking or playing cards with a few of the other patients. The daily circle group sessions went on as normal. I rarely spoke and the one time I did speak I got called out for lying and had to go in for an individual session with Dr. Shim. Which was never a good thing. He was ruthless. He twisted your words to where even that you thought you were making everything up. He got deep into your mind and made you want to pull out your hair. He was the real reason why everyone here was probably still insane. The session went... Ehh, not so well I guess.

"So tell me Laurel, tell me the truth." Dr. Shim leaned forward with both hands on his desk. He had that creepy old man smile.

My heart raced inside my chest. If I didn't tell him the truth I would be spending the night in the strapped room. No one wanted to spend the night in there. If you wanted to sit in the chair you had to be strapped into it. If it was time for bed you were strapped into it from your chest down to your ankles and you were forced an extra dose of medicine if you weren't cooperative. But if I did tell the truth who knows what would happen. I decided to go with telling the truth though. Thinking that its consequences wouldn't be as bad.

I shifted in the chair and sighed. "He was here. I saw him. I touched him. I talked to him. And then just... 'poof' gone again."

Dr. Shim just sat there with a smile on his face. "Thank you dear. That's exactly what I wanted to hear."

I sat there confused. Exactly what he wanted to hear? What. Shae came over and got me out of the chair to take me to my room. I got ready for bed, fake took my medicine, and fell asleep.

 

The next few days felt strange. It's like I was the misfit in a room full of normal people. There were hushed whispers from the other nurses and staff members. But worst of all was the look on Shae's face every time I made eye contact with her. It was disheartening. And t

Please log in to read the full chapter