Chapter 4

Hello and Goodbye

                Henry leaned back on the softly swinging bench on Megan’s back porch.  He smiled at her, as they look into the darkness of the night and the soft snow falling.  “How did you like the food?” she asked.

                His smile grew wider, if possible.  “I love the lunch or dinner or whatever it was…  Especially the turkey that you made.” he said.

                Megan’s mother had passed the torch onto her to make the turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.  The turkey she was juicy and well marinated to everyone.   According to the Fletcher family, how Megan had made the turkey was different from what Mrs. Fletcher usually makes in a refreshing way.  Megan refuses to tell anyone the recipe that she used.

                “Aww…  That’s so sweet of you.” she said, with a soft smile.  “Thank you.  I don’t really think that it’s as good as it could have been.”

                “No, it was good.” said Henry, with a smile.

                Megan shrugged her shoulders.  “I suppose.” she said.

                A silence fell over them.  The last person that Henry had planned on telling that he was going to leave school for a year was Megan.  The two have been increasingly close ever since Henry had helped Megan with finding the correct practice room Lindsay was in. 

                They would spend a lot of time together just talking, about any topic that they could think of at the top of their heads.  In a sense, he felt sympathy for her because of her obesity.  Henry knew well that her weight has taken a toll on her social life. 

                Lindsay says that she hardly goes to any parties at all and even when she does go, she’ll go for a minute or so and leave.  Henry had pity and had decided to befriend her, but now he feels that she is clinging onto him because of Lindsay’s lack of availability.  He wanted to tell her last because he knows well that she would be the most affected by his leave.

                “What’s wrong?” asked Megan.

                Henry shook his head.  “Nothing.” he said.

 

 

                “Yay!!” screamed Henry, to the Charles’ River.  “I’m done with finals!!!  Woot woot~!!!!!”

                Megan laughed at how ridiculous Henry was.  Finals are definitely a pain in the , but he was overly excited.  Henry was the only one out of his group to finish his finals early.  He had asked his professors to actually give him the finals early because he wanted to get over to Korea as soon as possible.

                He turned to Megan with his kiddy smile.  “I won’t be returning next semester.” he said.

                Megan laughed.  “Stop playing around.”

                “I’m not playing around, Megan.  I really meant it.” said Henry, in a serious tone.  “I won’t be coming back to Berklee College for a whole entire year.”

                Megan’s face scrunched up, confused.  “What?  What do you mean?” she asked.

                “I won’t be coming back.  I have to help with my family business in China for a while before coming back to school.” he replied.  “I’m going to be taking online courses, so then when I do come back…  I won’t be behind.”

                Megan absorbed the information.  “So, it’ll be a year before you come back?” she asked.

                “Yeah.” answered Henry, quickly.  He observed her, as she reflected on the information that he had given her.

                Megan looked like she wanted to say something, as she bit her lips.  “I-I like you.” she choked.

                Unsure of what the young woman meant, Henry said, “I like you too.  You’re a sweet friend.”

                Megan swallowed hard.  “I-I didn’t mean it like that…” she said.  “I have deeper feelings for you.”

                Henry took in a deep breath.  “Look, Megan…  You’re a sweet girl, but I see you as a friend.” he said, softly as he looked down at her.  Megan’s head hung, in defeat.  “I’m sorry.”  He quickly turned away from her, unsure of what to do after rejecting a girl, and decided to walk away.  Had he really been that dense?  Thinking back, he suddenly realized that she had developed feelings for him after all.  She had always been so caring and kind towards him.

                “I’m sorry.” said Henry as he whispered to the wind, not looking back at Megan.

 

 

                Megan wanted to talk to Lindsay so badly.  But, she didn’t want to accidentally run into Henry in the co-ed dorm rooms.  She felt dumb, standing in front of the dorm entrance.  She hesitated to call Lindsay and decided not to.  Megan turned away from the dorm entrance and decided to just head home.  Although it was snowing softly, Megan knows well that she should quickly head home or she might be stuck in a small snow storm.

                “Man!” said a familiar voice as a window slid open.  It was Jayden.  “It’s so hot in this room!  Stupid heater that is turning our room into the Death Valley.” 

                “Megan told me that she likes me.” said Henry’s voice.  Her heart started to race as she looked up at the building.  She happened to be standing right under his dorm room with Jayden. 

                “Really?” asked Jayden, surprised.  “What did you say?”

                “That I only see her as a friend.” replied Henry.

                “She’s a sweet girl…” said Jayden, slowly.

                “It’s not like I didn’t like her because she wasn’t sweet.  It’s just that…  I don’t feel that way towards her.” defended Henry.

                “Why’s that?” asked Jayden.

                “Jayden…  Don’t play dumb.” answered Henry.  “You know that men are attracted to looks, as shallow and truthful as it is.” 

                Megan looked down at herself.  She couldn’t even see her feet because of her size.  Her eyes started to water as she looked down at her huge body in the tight coat.

                “Don’t say that!” said Jayden.  “Megan’s a cute kid!”

                “I’m not saying that she’s not cute, Jayden.  I’m saying that I’m not physically attracted to her.” said Henry, slightly frustrated.

                Megan didn’t want to hear it any more.  She walked away from the open window and before she knew it, she was running.  She was out of breath when she reached the other side of the campus.  Her heart was pumping so hard that it hurt.  The last time she had run was 7th grade for P.E.  Megan leaned against the lamp pole for support, thinking that she was going to die of a cardiac arrest.  As her heart calmed down, she started to cry.

                Megan had really liked Henry with her whole heart.  She had thought that he was different from all the other guys, being as sweet and caring as he was.  She wanted to wait for the end of the spring semester to tell him her feelings then, with hopes that he will develop the same feelings for her as well. 

                I am such a dumb little girl, Megan thought.  The chance of that would be likely.  He could have easily started dating someone, but probably decided not to because of his busy schedule.  Henry’s right…  I am unattractive.  He wasn’t kind to me because he liked me, but because he was just that type of person…  That was what I did not understand.  He never liked me…

 

**NOTE: I hope you guys enjoyed this short chapter!!!  ^^

T.T  Henry's leaving!!!  NO!!  NO!!  Come back...

OK...  Maybe I am a bit crazy to make Henry mean like this...  Making him shallow and all...  But, he's NOT that shallow.  He's sweet enough to take care of her as a friend...  Hmm...  I think that they're pretty close already. 

LOVE,

loveFORyunho

on 6/2/2011 @ 11:56 AM PST