Chapter 1

Hello and Goodbye

                “Oh, shoot!!” said Megan, as she made her way through the college campus to the dorms.  She was late to the surprise birthday party that she was throwing her best friend, Lindsay.  Megan had left the candles in her car and had to run back to the parking lot to get it.

                “Thank God.” said Addie, who was Lindsay’s roommate from California.  “I was worried that you wouldn’t get here in time.”

                “Sorry.” breathed Megan, with a smile.

                “Come on.” said Addie, as they both climbed up the stairs.  “The freshmen that Lindsay and I hang out with are already up there.”

                As soon as the two reached the dorm room, Lindsay’s boyfriend sent Megan a text that they will be at the dorms in 5 minutes.  The two had gone out for an afternoon date for her birthday.  “Lindsay’s going to be here in 5 minutes with Tim.” said Megan to Addie, as they stepped into the dorm room.

                “Ah, darn!” said a male.  “I didn’t get Lindsay a present!”  The small dorm room was filled with at least 5 more people, 3 guys and 2 girls.  Megan haven’t exactly met the guys, but she have met the two other girls before.

                Addie smiled at the tall, lanky blond guy.  “It’s OK, Mike.  I’m sure she doesn’t mind.” she laughed.

                “Oh, you must be Lindsay’s friend!” smiled Mike.

                “Hi, I’m Megan.” she smiled.

                “I’m Mike.” he smiled.

                “Hi, Megan.” smiled the twins, Brooke and Caden.  She smiled at the two as they waved at her.

                “Um, hi!  I’m Henry.” smiled the pale Asian one.

                “Jayden here!” smiled the other guy with bright green eyes and an Australian accent.

                “Where’s the cake?” asked Addie, from the mini-fridge.

                “It should be in the fridge.” said Megan, as she opened the box of candles.

                “Uh…” started Henry, as he scratched the back of his head.  “I think it’s in the bathroom.  I saw it earlier when I used the bathroom.”

                “Oh yeah~” said Addie and Megan as they both headed into there.

                “Dude, that’s so unsanitary.” laughed Mike.

                “What do you mean?  It’s not like I peed on it!” replied Herny, with a cheeky laugh.  Jayden just laughs at his comment, as the twins became disgusted.

                “Don’t worry!” yelled Addie from the bathroom.  “The cake is OK!  Henry did not spray anything on it at all!”

                Everyone laughed as Henry exploded with a “What?!  Just because I used the restroom earlier?!”

                “Do not mention any of that to Lindsay.” said Megan, as she walked out of the bathroom.  “She’d be disgusted.”

                Mike chuckled as Henry furiously shook his head.  “It’s not what you guys think!  Stop assuming that did something to the cake!”

                “Maybe we should hide in the closet instead…” suggested Megan to Addie.

                Addie looked at Megan.  “Uh…  That’s definitely a better idea.  Why didn’t we think of that before Henry used the restroom?” she asked.  Everyone laughed as Henry pouted and shook his head.

 

 

                Tim and Lindsay’s voice could be heard outside of the door and everyone grew anxious.  As soon as she opened the door, everyone yelled out “Surprise!!”  Lindsay was startled and then started to laugh, just as Megan stepped out of the closet with a lit-up strawberry shaped cake.

                “Aww, Megan!!” said Lindsay, as everyone started to sing the happy birthday song.  After Megan blew out the candles, everyone clapped their hands.  Everyone started to dig into the red velvet cake.

                “Wow!!  This is one good cake!” said Brooke.  “Where did you buy it, Megan?”

                “I made it.” she smiled.

                “Really?” asked the entire room.

                “Woah, marry me.” proposed Mike.

                “We just met!” replied Megan.  Everyone laughed.

                “Dude, don’t you have a girlfriend?” asked Henry and Jayden.

                “Sorry, Megan.  I didn’t really mean it like that.” smiled Mike, apologetically.  “I was just playing around because the cake is so good.”

                “It’s OK.” smiled Megan.

                “Megan, you don’t attend Berklee or do you?” asked Jayden.

                “No, I don’t.” replied Megan.  “I’m from Boston University.”

                “Oh.” said the guys, nodding their heads.

                “What’s your major?” asked Mike.

                “Liberal Arts.” smiled Megan.

                “Why Liberal Arts?  Why not something else?” asked Mike.

                “Because I want to teach children.” answered Megan.  “Why are you at Berkelee then?”

                “Because I love music.” said Mike, with a grin.

                “Exactly.” nodded Megan, with a laugh.

                “Exactly.” repeated Mike, with a nod.  Megan sent him a look, causing the others to laugh.

 

 

                Megan and Lindsay walked along the Charles River, killing time for something until 7 when the two were supposed to meet Lindsay’s parents at the restaurant nearby.  The two have been great friends ever since kindergarten.  Lindsay grew up loving her flute from her elementary days, meanwhile Megan searched far and wide and realized that her passion in Biology.

                Lindsay smiled at Megan and hugged her suddenly.  “That was the sweetest thing ever!” she said.

                Megan laughed.  “I suppose.” she said.  “Just wait until you get your present.”  She held up the gift bag and smiled.

                “You’re the bestest friend anyone can have!” said Lindsay, as she wrapped her arms around Megan’s shoulders.  “So, how do you like the new people I’ve met at Berklee?”

                Megan laughed.  “I wanted to hear a performance, but it’s too bad.” she said.

                “No, I meant…  What do you think?” asked Lindsay.

                Megan took a long look at her beautiful, light brown haired, 5 foot 5 inches friend.  “What do you mean?” she asked.

                “Well, I meant the guys.” Lindsay replied with a wink.  “Aren’t they cute?  You and Mike were getting kind of flirty…  That’s a new side of you that I’ve never seen.”

                “What do you mean?!” laughed Megan.  “He was being completely random, asking me to marry him, then questioning why I am a Liberal Arts major.”

                “Woah, sweetie…  Don’t take him seriously.  His dad is a philosophy thinker, so he always have questions.” said Lindsay.

                “It’s just that those questions are kind of out of the norm.  Besides, doesn’t he have a girlfriend?” asked Megan.

                Lindsay nodded his head.  “Yeah, he does…” she frowned.  “If only Addie didn’t invite him over…  He’s usually the more talkative one out of the 3 guys.  Jayden talks a lot too, but Mike always out shines him.  Henry is usually quiet most of the time, but he’s pretty sarcastic when he does have something to say.”

                “Oh.” said Megan, as she nodded her head.

                “You should get a boyfriend.” said Lindsay, as she punched her friend softly on the shoulder.  “You’re so cute, lovely, dedicated, straightforward, hardworking, and so much more!!”

                “I’m cute?” scoffed Megan.  “No, I’m not!!”  She knows well that her friend was just being nice to her.  She’s far from cute.  Megan is well overweight and stands at 4 foot 10 inches.  Her sense of fashion is a disaster.  Her hair is always nappy and annoying, especially the perm.  No guy will ever give her a double take.

                “Of course you are darling.” smiled Lindsay.  She quickly looked at her wrist watch.  “Come on, it’s time to eat!”

 

**NOTE:  Hope you guys enjoyed this short chapter!!  I know that not a lot of juicy things are happening now, but it's the beginning.  It's supposed to be slow like this.  So please be patient.  ^^

LOVE,

loveFORyunho

on 5/15/2011 @ 11:04 PM PST