Minute 4: "I wasn't staring!"

Intervention

 

tumblr_m8kp4gkBjB1r277vxo2_500.png

 

Ren was convinced Baekho’s still drunk. This was not happening. This was NOT happening, damn it!

“You’re still drunk, Baekho” He said. He managed a dry laugh, shaking his head and trying to bring the blood back into his face. It didn’t work. He was shivering right down to his knees. Please, please, please be drunk…

“I’m absolutely NOT drunk.” Baekho whispered, slowly recovering from the reverberations of his own words.

“You don’t know what you’re saying so stop it, Baekho!” Ren wailed, not concerned in any way about whether or not he sounded like  a pampered little school girl.

In any case, he did.

Baekho somehow found the courage to look up to those beautiful brown eyes he’ve always adored. Those eyes gave him more comfort than words uttered by their owner when Baekho was insecure or crushed. Those eyes were the ones his always flutter to when they were having an interview, or a program or when they were simply laughing at stupid things. Those eyes…were looking at him now, all full of worry, anxiety and Baekho hoped- uncertainty. Because the thought of his confession swaying Ren a little off his stand sparked a tiny amount of hope in him.

“You’re right. I don’t know what I’m saying. And I don’t know when or why I had to fall in love with you, but I did.” Baekho paused when Ren broke his gaze, turning his head a little to the left and avoiding any sort of eye contact with the other boy. “Remember when we watched Coffee Prince? And you said they should be together, didn’t you? Even if they’re both guys?” Baekho pestered, sounding a lot more desperate than before due to the far-fetched reasons he was spluttering out. “And-and you said Minho and Taemin looked good as a couple.” They were just three feet away- and Baekho could merely stretch out and pull the fragile body in front of him into a tight embrace. He wanted to so badly, except that his basic motor functions weren’t really working at that very moment save for his mouth. “You also…”

That was when Baekho sounded like he was on the verge of tears, the reality of the situation finally smashing into his face. Ren spoke before things could get out of hand. Baekho sounded serious and he didn’t like that one bit. He also didn’t like the way his heart was squeezing and trying to decide whether he was feeling sympathy for the boy, or restraining from accepting the confession.

“Baekho-ah…just stop it, okay? Look, I don’t know if-if you’re confused or- or serious…but I do know its bad. For the band. For…our friendship, and the other members. Think about them, Baekho.” Ren was unconsciously pleading with all his might.

Baekho pressed his lips together and forced out a wry smile. It was the first time Ren saw this rare expression, and it undeniably broke his heart. Baekho never force out smiles.

“Yeah, I know.” He said quietly, and maybe it was Ren’s imagination, but he thought he saw Baekho’s hands trembling at the sides of his body. “I just want you to know…is all.” And then he looked up, and grinned.

That very action basically tore Ren’s heart into half. He didn’t know why he felt so hurt- the fact that Baekho was faking his smiles, or the fact that there is a possibility the taller male’s feelings towards him were just a phase.

Ren had to grin back.

“Thanks for telling me.” Ren said, patting Baekho’s arm rather awkwardly.

“Yeah.” Baekho let out a strained laugh and it died when Ren couldn’t let himself join in. He tentatively ruffled the slightly younger male and briefly walked out of the room. “Go shower already, pabo!” He called affectionately over his shoulder, laughing out loud in the hallway.

Ren gulped and numbly grabbed the towel on his bed. Did that just happen? Was it just a dream? Baekho’s confession was just so sudden and it caught him off-guard and godamnit their relationship would be so awkward since now.

That thought eventually pissed Ren off the more he thought about it. Why did Baekho have to tell him that?  Was confessing his feelings more important than the bond they shared and had built for the past year?

Ren groaned at the muddle of thoughts currently interrupting what should be a relaxing morning shower.

“Yah, maknae! What’s taking so long?”

Ren jolted at three sharp knocks on the door, followed by Aron’s annoyed voice.

“I’m brushing my teeth!” Ren yelled back, furious at the mini heart attack Aron gave him so early in the morning. He could’ve panicked and slipped on the floor and died, for godsake.

“Hurry up!” the voice came again, and Ren was forced to clamber out of the toilet when Aron threatened to kick the door down. Minhyun chuckled at the sight of Ren’s blonde hair still having bits of white foam on it and the towel around his slim waist threatening to fall through his slender fingers.

Minhyun knew it was rare because Ren was meticulous. He’d be the first to shower and he always finishes on time. Now the question is—what was Ren doing in there?

“You’re a stupid hyung!” Ren cried out childishly, sticking his tongue out in contempt at Aron.

“Yeah, and you’re a girl!” Aron retaliated, copying Ren’s actions despite being the eldest of them all.

Ren turned completely red, stomping loudly upstairs when he couldn’t find any more insults to throw at his least favourite hyung in the whole wide world. When it comes to getting people on their nerves, Aron knew just exactly which buttons to push.

“Don’t cry!” Aron called out, laughing to his heart’s content.

“Immatured brats.” Minhyun chuckled in amusement. He turned around to resume breakfast-making and was mildly surprised when he saw JR standing just behind him, eyes widened and cheeks stained pink.

It wasn’t exactly unusual to see this expression on the leader’s face, but it was rare that Minhyun had no idea why.

“Umm…JR?”

The boy startled and blinked rapidly, glancing from Minhyun to the closed toilet door and then to Minhyun again. “W-What? I- I wasn’t staring!”

Minhyun raised a brow at JR’s strange reaction and kindly decided not to comment on it. He had a vague idea nonetheless- judging by the way JR kept shaking his head and muttering ‘he’s a guy, he’s a guy’ under his breath all morning- that it had something to do with the maknae.

It didn’t surprise Minhyun at the slightest.

 


 

 

Baekho was his usual self again.

And Ren could not, for the life of him, stand it.

It also annoyed Ren, how the slightly elder male could just pretend nothing had happen after what he put Ren through. Ren became grumpy and whiny and all the other prospects of him which drove the other members nuts. He was almost Baekho, except that he was despicably mean about absolutely everything.

“Don’t touch me.” He said to Aron irritably. The fact that the blonde maknae said it in English only aggravated the eldest member more. Aron held back his temper by laughing it off, pretending he had assumed it was a joke. The other members laughed too, shaking off the heavy atmosphere quickly before it gets noticed.

Just wait, maknae. Just until the cameras are gone…

Minhyun patted Aron’s shoulder subtly although Aron knew it was meant for him to calm down. Aron had to admit Minhyun catches on faster than most people and acts on it immediately. That was just one of the many good traits he has. Just after their dinner and they called it a day, the two most sensible members of the group got together at the back of the van, leaving Ren and JR in front (the maknae had stubbornly refused to sit with Baekho) and the main vocalist sat beside their driver, a.k.a their manager.

It wasn’t long before Minhyun and Aron turned their light conversation into a more serious and inevitable one.

“Hyung, do you think something’s up with the three of them?” Minhyun whispered,-although there was no reason to, considering Ren and JR had snuggled together, fast asleep; and Baekho and their manager couldn’t hear them at the front.

Aron shrugged nonchalantly, his sleep-deprived self getting ahead of his sane, considerate one.

“Come on, hyung. Wake up!” Minhyun grabbed his-surprisingly quaint- shoulders and shook it vigorously.

“Aww, come on Min-ah…We can talk abou this la-“

“Either we talk about this now or this band is gonna break up over something I’m not even sure of!” Minhyun almost yelled.

Aron seemed to snap out of it, because he sighed and removed Minhyun’s hands.

“Alright, Min. Talk.”

 


 

A/N: lalalalalalalaaaa