Vol.3 Chapter 2: Hello New People!

Taking Chances

 

Andi

҉~*~҉

 

                So where on earth will I look for some piece of crap to write on her cousin’s name? I say to myself as I browse through my chaotic car filled with disordered stuff from the photo shoot I just had earlier. I was left but to let the recently printed pictures slip through the floor of my car as I pulled the folder that holds them. Pen..so where will I get it? I saw my half opened bag and found my almost used up lipstick. No way!

Tch. Still I ended up using my lipstick to write Tam’s cousin’s name when I found out I don’t have any pen inside my car.

                It was surprising to see that the airport wasn’t at all mobbed, probably because the weather wasn’t conducive for luring foreigners to take their vacation here. My eyes scanned the whole place hoping to see the very important ‘Kim Jong In’ whose face is still a big question mark in my mind. Korean, so perhaps he has this small thin eyes, yellowish skin tone, a very very different fashion style and probably had his hair dyed with blonde? Blue?  Or red? Forgive me for this decription that’s how I see them, well, my neighbor is an exception, though.

                One confession, whenever my parents arrive I never volunteer myself in fetching them, yet here I am now, looking for someone I haven’t even met. I deserve a reward for this good deed, okay?

Message from Tam: His plane will be arriving at exactly 6:20. Thanks so much Andi. And I am sorry. I’ll be your fairy godmother for a day, promise. Hug! ^^

Her text somehow made me smile a bit. I checked on my watch, 6:10. I arrived at the airport ten minutes early, enough for me to buy a cup of coffee.

“Uhmmm.. Excuse me. Do you have 50 cents?”

I looked at the person whose asking for 50 cents. He is wearing a navy blue sweatshirt, a black cap, denim pants and sneakers, height about three inches taller than me, not bad. Part of me says he’s a foreigner but another part of me is confused if he has the same nationality as mine. And because I found him cute, because he is really cute, I, without hesitating, took out my purse, and while opening it I prayed that I have what he is asking me because I am not the type of person who brings coins with me. Heh!

“Thank you.” He quickly said and gave the coin to the saleslady. He sips through his almost flowing coffee and said, “…wasn’t able to have my money exchanged. Thanks anyway.” He flashed a warm smile, which made me think do I still need to buy a coffee to keep me warm?

“No problem.” I replied and I am pretty sure I flashed my sweet seductive picture perfect smile right to his face.

“Thanks again.” He bowed, like what Koreans always do. Please tell me why this gesture or mannerism or whatever you call it is very contagious.

A cappuccino on my left, Kim JongIn placard on my right, 7:05 still he hasn’t showed up.

“Were you able to see him? Are you guys on your way home?” Tam’s voice was all giddy and excited. I tried to gasp some air before I start ranting.

“Pick him up?” I repeated. “Tam, I have a lot of things to do, I just finished a photo shoot before you asked me to fetch your cousin...” I wanted to sound calm, but the thought of fetching her cousin who has not showed up and made me stand in front of the arrival’s section for almost an hour with one hand raising the placard, had my nerves heat up, my blood all settling in my head. I went out to avoid gathering stares from people inside the airport and making a fool of myself.

I saw the 50 cents guy again, but the thought of it never stopped me from being exasperated, more like raging.

“Your stupid cousin, the VIP Kim Jong In...”

I didn’t notice that my voice had grown louder that the 50 cents guy bobbed his head on me like he just heard his name for him to motion on my way.

I gave him an awkward smile.

“He is still not here. I have been waiting for an hour now, humiliating myself from carrying this pathetic folder.” I looked at what I am holding, which doesn’t look like a folder anymore. I didn’t notice that the one peso guy is almost half a meter away from where I am sitting, staring blankly on the folder. Reading.

I glanced away, “For God’s sake, Tam, if your cousin has a brain, why would he leave his phone in his country?”

                I don’t bother offending my friend at this moment. She should’ve thought about me as well, waiting for like an hour, wasting time rather than editing the pictures I must submit in just a few days, using up my gas for this crap. Tam, from the other line, was continuously apologizing.

“Whatever.” I hung up. I looked back at the 50 cents guy who is now standing in front of me. He is still staring on the folder I am holding.

“I’m sorry. I just ... just...” I wanted to compose myself again, when he spoke.

“My phone was broken, that’s why I left it in Korea. I think that’s me.” His index finger pointed at the folder.

                A realization came which brought me to shrink down to my feet, hoping that I could take back the words he probably heard. Words that cursed him.

                An old woman approached us and asked,

“Umm.. excuse me.” She tapped Kim Jong In. “May I just ask what time did your plane arrived? Korean right? Because I have not seen my niece yet, she also came from Seoul.”

The one peso guy, who happened to be the Kim jong In, replied, “6 o’clock.”

What the heck? His plane arrived 6 o’clock? I thought … Tam said… I heaved a sigh. So it was me who is late, and had kept him waiting for more than an hour? Probably the reason why he bought a coffee because he’s still waiting. Jeez!~

Kim Jong In faced me again. “Why is my name written on that folder?” At this point seeing him smile again was very impossible.

“Uhmmm...” I am telling you, my heart is thumping right now, not because I am happy but because I am nervous. “She...She... is...” I am stammering. “She’s stuck in traffic, so she asked me, your... your cousin Tam, asked me if I could fetch...”

“I should’ve taken a cab.” Kim Jong In turned around and started walking.

“W-w-wait. I’ll just get my car.”

“No. I can manage.” He raised his hand, halting me.

“I insist.” Thank God my car was parked near the Bay, so I was able to get it right before he gets a taxi.

                He was just staring outside, never dares to speak nor talk to me. He could’ve really heard the words I used to describe him while talking to Tam. If I could still take back what I said. Andi, you just left a bad impression to the very first person you thought was cute. Tch. Tch. I took the fastest route through Tam’s home, unfortunately, what I thought of as the fastest route turned exactly its opposite, because my car did not cooperate at all.

“! Not again. Wait a sec-” I looked at JongIn from the rear view whose are eyes are still dead locked from bewilderness.

Of all the days God has created, why do I have to catch all the bad lucks today???

I kicked on the flat tire. Be positive Andi, this is just a test … thiiiis is just a test. I calmed myself.

It took me half an hour to change the flat tire, yes, me, alone, while Mister VIP sits cozily on the side of the road, flattering his eyes with the urban view as I myself continue dealing with my car’s quandary. Forget about me finding him cute awhile ago.

“We can go now!” I called Mr. VIP.

When we arrived I didn’t hear any ‘sorry for not helping you with the tire’ nor ‘thanks for bringing me safe in my house’ instead he walked straight to the gate.

“Can I get my 50 cents?”

This is not the right thing to say, I know, but this is the only way I could make him look at me again and perhaps, my only chance to apologize. Still, my conscience is trailing me for cursing him earlier. He stopped turned around, took something inside his pocket, walk straight to me, but still not looking, and handed me the coin.

“Look. I’m so sorry. What I said earlier, was just brought up by stress. I came from work... and...”

“It’s okay.” He said and went in.

 

I bit my lip, confirming that he really is upset. “Please tell Tam ‘I’m sorry’ too.”

I kicked my car’s front wheel before getting in and rush to my home and realized he didn’t even ask for my name.