Vol.3 Chapter 1: Hello New People!

Taking Chances

 

Tam

҉~*~҉

 

                We have this habit on staying in Andi’s house every after class. However, today is an exception because Cayla is now in South Korea. Instead of doing our homework, we were just staring at our opened books and notebooks with pen in our hands, shoulders shrugging off, mouths pouting at the thought of someone is missing and that everything feels incomplete.

                The silent environment was interrupted by my phone’s Fantastic Baby ringing tone, which from my peripheral vision saw Andi’s brows pucker in irritation. Jong In...calling. I went out to talk to my cousin.

This is history, I mean, despite how close I am to my cousin, talking to him over the phone for two consecutive nights is very much impossible. But … life has its own way to turn impossibilities to possibilities, I guess?

“What a small world! Cayla’s exchange is my cousin.” I exclaimed. “And he’s coming here two days from now.”

“You … have … a Korean … cousin?” Jody’s eyes were like shining shimmering splendid upon getting the idea that after years of being friends it’s just now that she was able to know that I have at least a cousin with a tinge of Korean blood. She even stood up from lying down showing interest not because my cousin is soon be arriving but because of the fact that I have a cousin who is a national to the country she wished she had been born to.

“Did amnesia strike your brain? Did you forget? ‘those Korean guys…they’re up to no good.’” I heard Andi chuckle at my attempt to imitate Jody, exactly the way how she said it a few days ago. “And I think I’ve already told you guys that before. The day Cay said she’s going to Korea.”

“Hey! That’s not how I said it!” Jody counteracted. “And...I guess I forgot. You know how my head works.”

“Whatever. My cousin is an exception. Jeez. I didn’t expect it could be this early. Two days? Could you believe that?”

“Excited, huh?! That means, no one would look after to our friend.” Andi maintaining her plain, blank face, said. Well, Andi does have a point; this fact made my shoulders shrug again.

“Well. That’s the bad news.” I said biting my nail.

“Yeah.” Jody seconded.

Getting hampered from a traffic jam wasn’t part of the plan... It wasn’t even an option. The original scheme was to bust in the airport one hour before the appointed time. However, I only have twenty minutes before my cousin’s plane will land in our country and my last resort was to call Andi and cross my fingers hoping that she is along the airport terminal.

 “What? No way. I don’t allow strangers to get in my car.” Andi bawled.

“He is my cousin.” I thwarted. “Please? You’re the only person I could think of. You might even thank me for asking this kind of favor. Who knows?”

“And why would I do that?”

“Coincidence. Fate. Or whatever you call it. Please, Andi. Cars are not moving. I have been stuck here for an hour now. Please?”

“Okay. Okay. Fine. Whatever. So does he know about this. About you jammed in traffic, and your friend will instead pick him up? By the way, how will I know it’s him?”

“Err!~ Do you have like any paper where you can write his name?”

“W-what do you mean?” I can see Andi’s eyes rolling.

“Because he told me he left his phone in Korea.” I bit my lip, waiting for Andi’s hysterical voice to react. “Just write his name, Kim Jong In, I believe he knows how to read.”

“So you even want me to bring props inside the airport? That’s too much Tam, just tell me what he is wearing right now.”

“How will I know?”

“Ugggghhhhhh!~ Fine. What’s his name again?”

“Kim Jong In.”

 

I wasn’t able to thank her when she right away hung up. This tells me how pissed off she is right now.