Vol.2 Chapter 4: And so we meet again

Taking Chances

 

Jody

҉~*~҉

 

It’s already passed 5 in the afternoon in the office as I waited for my boss and his son to arrive.

You see, I’ve been teaching English to young foreigners for a while now. My brothers and I had been living with my aunt for more than five years now after our parents died from a car crash.  I, being the eldest among my siblings became the breadwinner at a young age. I love my brothers so much that I never treated this misfortune as a burden to me. In fact, we were still showered with all the good things the world has to offer. Our ever supportive aunt offered financial support to both my younger brothers that they are still able to continue their elementary education. As for me, I was lucky enough to be granted with a six-year scholarship in one of the most prestigious schools in the city. And there I met the best people in the world. Andi, Tam and Cayla. They humbly accepted me and treated me as one of their own.

“Jody-ah!”  Mr. Kim Jung Shik, A Korean man in his 50’s with a somewhat contagious eye smile bowed at me. I scrambled from my seat and bowed at him in return. Didn’t I mention he’s so lovable for a boss? Everyone adores him.

“I’m sorry we were late. I just have to drag Joonmyun here at the office. I’ll be gone for 2 weeks so might as well introduce him to you so that you can start tutoring him as soon as possible. Oh and by the way, my son tends to be a little moody at times. I hope this doesn’t affect your sessions with him in the future. My son’s a good student. I think he only lacks a little bit of a push. Just take care of him for me alright?”

“Don’t worry Mr. Kim, we share the same age right? I’m sure we’ll get along just fine.”

 “Ah, Joonmyun-ah” I turn back to see who this Joonmyun is only to see be washed away with flashbacks that strongly reminded me of the cruel side of my lovely South Korea.

Seoul, South Korea.



 

 

At that point in time I might have well considered myself the luckiest girl in the world for having won a 1-week all-expense paid trip sponsored by my company in my dream country- South Korea. I mean, who usually gets to experience such a thing? For such a thrifty person like me this could have only been a dream. And besides, I’m only a high school student; I don’t even work full time. I stifle my excitement as I whack my head against the doors of the train to make sure all this is real. 

I put out the wrinkled little piece of paper from my pocket and unfold it.  3 days into my week-long trip consisted mostly of attending conventions on Korean culture and tourism, touring museums and Daehangno, meeting folks from the company, seminars, and even visiting antique shops in Insadong. Only yesterday and today can I truly enjoy my travel unsupervised.

Yup, I’m all alone- confident enough I can handle myself in this foreign land.

Namsam Tower, Namdaemun market, and Cheonggyecheon River was Day 5.  Today, I visited Gyeongbokgung (The Royal Palace) and shopped for souveniers in Dongdaemun Market. I fold back the piece of paper and tuck it in my pocket as I clutch my bag closer to my body.  Ironically enough, I’ve spent quite an amount already here in Korea than I would have back home. But the day’s far from over and here I am now…

I exit Seoul Subway Station Line 4 and start my shopping experience in Seoul’s trendiest- Myeong-dong.

Myeong-dong’s fairly narrow streets are lined with hundreds of shops selling clothes, shoes, handbags, accessories, and cosmetics. Make-up boutiques lined side by side on one side. Etude House, Holika Holika, The Face Shop, Tony Moly? I know Andi would die to be in my place right now. I make a mental reminder to myself to visit the said shops later. At the more prominent crossroads are the omnipresent Lotte Department Store, Shinsegae Department Store, Migliore, and luxury brand name shops…

“! Urgh!”  There I was happily enjoying a hefty serving of sausages on stick covered with potatoes drizzled with mustard and ketchup when a guy from behind bumps into me.

“Sorry.”

I sarcastically call out to the guy in an all black ensemble who hastily walks past, a mere side glance thrown at me. 

. I look down at the blue designer coat I’m wearing smeared with yellow and red and groan. Tam’s going to kill me.

Losing my palate I throw whatever’s left of my sausages into the nearest bin and ask an old lady selling bbopki for napkins.

This is going to stain. I bit my lip as I wipe stacks of paper towels on my now ruined coat. Hopefully, Tam’s got enough of these to even bother with this one. I head to the nearest washroom inside Shinsegae Department Store to try and wash off the stain.

Meters away from the washroom I spot an all too familiar man dressed in black standing by the counter inside a jewelry store.  I wasn’t able to get a full view of his face earlier but I could definitely tell it was him.  Slowly, I move in closer to the glass window separating us to make sure.

Yep, that’s him alright. At the very least he should say sorry and be made aware he’s responsible for this.  With clenched fists I eye his back one last time before storming inside, armed with my almost perfect Hangeul.

“Excuse me.”

He turns around and I gasp. The man boy looks really young; could even be around my age. And he’s really not that tall unlike most Koreans I’ve met but he’s practically towering over me. His piercing gaze sizes me up, as if to check if I’m worth his time. Smooth porcelain skin.  Saying he’s good looking would be an understatement.

“E-earlier you bumped into me.” I stammer. Must. Regain. Composure.

“Outside, across the street -And caused this.” I point to the dark stain that now sets in my coat. “I thought I should let you kn-“

“How much is it?” He cuts in.

“What?”

“You came for this, right?” He takes out his wallet and waves a bunch of KRW in my face.

I gawk at the amount of money he’s holding.

“That seems like a wool and cashmere-blend coat.  I’m not even gonna ask if it’s real.  Send it over to professional cleaners or buy a new one.” He says nonchalantly as he hands out his money to me.

“You’re mistaken. I’m not-”

“Hey, if you’re not here for the money then there’s nothing else I can do for you.”

Chaebol. Tch.

“Would it hurt to say you’re sorry?!” I practically scream at him.  God, where are his manners???!!!!

We both catch sight of the saleslady looking at us.  Suddenly, he grabs my arm and leads me to a corner outside.

“Don’t make a scene.” He hisses.

“Then don’t treat me like I’m some cheap skate extorting you for some money!” I yank my arm from his grasp.

“Really now, you don’t look all that much to me. Stop being so fussy.  Just take the money and leave.”

At that moment I lose control. I take his money and -slaps it to his face. He stumbles back and before he could react I give him a hard kick in the shin.

“Ow! Goddammit!”  He yelps as he holds his shin up.  I ran as fast as I could.  He tries following me but he loses balance.

“!” I hear him say.  I turn around and give him the finger.

YOU.

Tomorrow’s my last day. It’s unlikely we’ll meet again. What are the chances of that?



 

 

The widened cat eyes, the pursed lips, the flushed cheeks. I know he recognizes me. A kick on the shin as mind blowingly painful as I did to this jerk is enough not to be forgotten until his remaining days here on earth.

A big sum of money forced me to extend my arm for a handshake and surprisingly he reached for it, squeezing mine with the same heated force as I do.

From there, I just sealed a contract for 3 months in hell with the disrespectful chaebol kid who made me hate Korea for a while.

“Jody,” I said in between gritted teeth.

“Joonmyun,”

Joonmyun. Even his name goes heavy with my tongue.