06.

An Autumn Story.

 

It was the day of Luhan's birthday and Seoeun showed up in front of his house hours before the party to help out. 

Unlike Seoeun, Luhan didn't mind a nice birthday party, so his parents organised it for him. 

She rang the bell and smoothened her shirt as she waited for someone to open the door. 

"Oh, Seoeun ah! You're early, the party doesn't start till 8, you know." Mrs Lu informed her and stood aside to let her go in. "I know, but I just thought I might as well come over and help out with the setting-up since I have nothing to do at home anyways." She smiled good-naturedly as she suddenly remembered the bag in her hands. "Where's Luhan?" 

"He's upstairs, still sleeping." Mrs Lu rolled her eyes with a small smile. "That pig son of mine." She sighed and shook her head. Seoeun laughed and shook the bag in her hands. "I'll just give him his present first." 

"Oh, of course! I think he'll be delighted to receive his first birthday greeting from you." Mrs Lu beamed and shooed Seoeun up the stairs. "Stay as long as you like upstairs." She winked and Seoeun just laughed and headed towards his room. 

"Morning~" She opened the door by a small crack and peeked in. She saw a lump of being under the blanket and she crept over carefully.

"Wakey wakey~" She cooed beside him and poked him. The figure squirmed under the blanket and Seoeun stifled a laugh. "Yah, it's your birthday and you're still sleeping even when the sun is high up in the sky?" She tugged the blanket and revealed a curled-up Luhan in a white wife beater and boxers. 

He whined and hid his face from the glaring sun that was coming from the window behind Seoeun. She rolled her eyes and shook him. "Yah wake up! I have a present for you and if you don't wake up now- ah!" She yelped when Luhan pulled her hand and she fell on him. "Aish, YAH!" she slapped his arm and pushed herself up but he pulled her arm again and this time, she fell next to him. She groaned in frustration and glared at him, but it didn't really have an effect on him since his eyes were still closed. His arms were around her waist and he pulled her closer when he felt her struggling. "Just sleep. It's still early." He patted her hip in a small rhythm. “How is it early? It’s almost noon!” She struggled a bit more and sighed when she gave up. "Are you really not getting up?" 

Luhan smiled and shook his head lightly, eyes still closed. “So sleep. I’ll wake up soon.” Seoeun found herself slowly getting drowsier with Luhan’s constant small patting. It was what her mom used to do to her whenever she couldn’t fall asleep. In the end, she shifted to a more comfortable position and closed her eyes. “You are the worst birthday boy ever.” She yawned and slowly fell asleep.

Luhan gazed down lovingly at Seoeun when he heard that her breathing had slowed down. He brushed her fringe away from her face and placed a kiss on her forehead before hugging her closer and enjoying his extended sleep. *I hope you’ll like what I prepared.*

 

 

 

“Seoeun-ah! Luhan! I really need your help-“ Mrs Lu gasped when she opened the door to Luhan’s bedroom and saw the two of them cuddled up together on the bed. She couldn’t help but squeal at the cute sight but as a parent, she had to do what was right.

She cleared and went over to wake them up. “Aigoo, Seoeun-ah! I asked you to come up and wake him up, not sleep together!” Mrs Lu patted her legs and she stirred. She squinted her eyes and realized that she was facing a white body. Her instincts acted up and immediately pushed it away, causing it to fall on the ground. And yes, the poor being was our dear Luhan.

“Ow…” He winced and rubbed his back. Seoeun gasped and leaned over the bed to check on him. “Sorry! Natural instincts!” She apologized sheepishly. “Sorry, Mrs Lu, I fell asleep when I was supposed to help you.” She apologized. “For the record, it was his fault.” She pointed at Luhan and he shot her a glare. “Hey! It’s not my fault that you wanted to sleep.” He pouted and Mrs Lu clapped her hands to get their attention.

“Alright, alright. Enough bickering, you two.” She shook her head with a smile. “Seoeun, go downstairs and help me with the decorations, will you? And Luhan, go wash up and help out downstairs when you’re done. It’s two in the afternoon already, you know.” She gave him a look and went out of the room.

“Aish, why did you push me off the bed?” Luhan winced as he stood up and Seoeun scrambled off the bed towards him. “Heh, sorry. I told you, natural instincts.” She rubbed his back. “You okay?”

He winced when she touched a sore spot and Seoeun purposely rubbed even harder. “Hey, stop it! It hurts, you know!” He swatted her hands away and glared at her. “Mehrong~” She stuck her tongue out and ran down to help Mrs Lu. Luhan shook his head with a smile and headed towards the bathroom to wash up.

 

 

The decorations were up and the party soon started. Seoeun went home to freshen up and change into her dress before going back to Luhan’s house. “Hey, you’re here!” Jungmin shouted over the music and gave her a hug. The party was actually quite big, and there were people in his backyard as well. She looked around to look for Luhan and Jungmin nudged her, catching her attention. “Looking for the birthday boy?” She grinned and Seoeun nodded.

She jabbed her thumb towards the door that led to the backyard and Seoeun nodded, thanking her by the way. She had yet to give him his present since she didn’t have the opportunity the whole afternoon.

She saw Kris, one of Luhan’s friends once she stepped into the backyard talking to Chanyeol. She went over to say a quick “hi” before roaming around in search for a brown-haired birthday boy. “Hey, you’re Seoeun, right?” A boy whom she recognized from her math class came up to her. She nodded, racking her brains for his name. “Uh, Jongin, right?” He chuckled. “You can call me Kai.” Seoeun smiled and practiced his name. “Kai.” She nodded when she realized how easy this name was to remember – easier than Jongin.

They made some small talk and soon, Seoeun excused herself to find Luhan, who was by the buffet table, according to Kai. She spotted him talking to Yixing, a China transfer student who came 6 months ago and decided to just wait till they finished talking instead of interrupting them.

After a while, Luhan waved to Yixing and left in another direction. Seoeun took this chance to go up to him. “Boo!” She jumped on him and he stumbled a bit. “Aish, Han Seoeun. Can’t you be more lady-like in a dress?” He wagged his finger playfully. She made a biting gesture and he quickly retracted his finger, making Seoeun laugh.

“Oh, right. Happy birthday!” She shoved the bag to him and he raised an eyebrow. “Well? Open it!” She urged with a beam. Luhan smiled and placed the bag on the table so he could unwrap it easier.

“I told you not to get me anything.” He commented as he revealed her present: cologne. “This must be expensive.” He frowned and placed it back into the bag carefully. Seoeun just waved it away with a smile. “Nothing I can’t afford. It was on sale as well, so don’t worry.” She explained, knowing how Luhan hates it when she spends too much money. “Besides, it’s your birthday, how could I not give you a present? You better use it well!” She mused and he gave her a hug. “Thanks.” He said sincerely and she patted his back. “No problem, bestie.” She beamed as they pulled back.

Suddenly, Luhan grabbed her hands and pulled her through his house and out the front door, catching her by surprise. “Yah, Luhan! Where are we going? Your party’s still going on!” She shouted but Luhan just kept running, with her hand in his.

 

 

They arrived at the playground where they used to go when they were kids. It was at a secluded place with not much lighting and not many people actually knew that a playground actually existed there, so it sort of became their special place. “Why did you bring me here all of a sudden?” She asked and he sat down on one of the swings, motioning her to do the same.

“I just wanted to get away for a while. Too many people makes me uneasy.” He smiled lightly and Seoeun just lowered her head and nodded. Truthfully, too many people crowding around her made her uneasy as well. Luhan knew this, so he would always hold her hand whenever they go out so that she wouldn’t feel so scared. “So… what do you wanna do now?” Luhan took a deep breath and stretched. “Just… talk.”

And talk they did.

They relived their childhood memories and talked about random topics from clothes to blue cheese. (Don’t ask me how it got there, I don’t know either)

Soon, it was almost 12 midnight and Seoeun nudged him when she checked the time. “Hey, aren’t you supposed to be back there to cut the cake or something? Your birthday’s ending soon.”

“Nah, they can handle cake-cutting by themselves.” Seoeun shook her head in disbelief and scoffed. “You sure are one weird birthday boy.” He checked his watch and suddenly stood up, making Seoeun stand as well. “We’re leaving?”

He faced her with a secretive smile and with a snap of his fingers, small LED lights lighted up the place like little stars. Seoeun looked around in awe when Luhan held her face gently. “Don’t move.” He whispered and wore an earring on her right ear. Her heart skipped a beat at that close moment. When he was done, she looked at him weirdly. She felt her earlobe for the earring and let out a weird laugh. “You’re weird, you know that?” She told him and he just shrugged.

Seoeun was looking around at the beautiful lights when Luhan held her hands. “Han Seoeun,” He sighed, staring deep into her eyes. She stared right back, and she felt as if she could’ve just got lost in his big, brown eyes.

“We’ve been friends since first grade, and nobody knows me better than you, not even my mom. People kept mistaking us as a couple, and I mustering all my courage to do this, but can we be a real couple? Not just best friends forever but together forever.”

Seoeun’s eyes widened at his confession and she couldn’t believe her ears. Had she heard correctly? Or was she imagining things?

He took out a pink bracelet from his pocket that was oh-so-familiar to Seoeun. “Isn’t this the couple bracelet?” She blurted.

He grabbed both her hands gently and stared deep into her eyes. “You were the one I was talking about.” He stepped closer to her.

“The one I like. The one I love.” He leaned in close to her face.

“I’m falling deeper and deeper with you everyday, Han Seoeun.” His lips were dangerously close to hers, and she could feel his breath on her lips.

“I love you.” With that last confession, he gently pressed his lips on hers.

He pulled back and stared into her widened eyes with a small smile. “So will you be my girlfriend?”

 

 

~~~~~

I'm really sorry for the slow updates bc my school just started and i'm working part-time on the weekends as well so I'm really busy. I'll try my best to update as often as i can but bc for this story every chapter is at least 1.5k words long so it'll take a longer time for me to type it out. Really sorry and thanks for reading! Comment and subscribe!~

and i didn't check for errors so pardon me if there's any!