01.

An Autumn Story.

It was the start of autumn, Seoeun's favourite season of the year.

She loved this particular season the most because the temperature's just right - not too hot and not too cold, just the way she likes it. 

And her birthday falls in this season, too. All the more reason for her to like it. 
 
"Sorry I'm late!" She smiled sheepishly as she weaved her way through the cafe towards the last table at the back. 
 
Luhan knocked her head with his knuckles lightly when she sat down in front of him. "You're always late. But-"
 
"But you're used to it." Seoeun winced and smiled widely, rubbing the spot where Luhan just hit. "This is why you're my best friend." 
 
"What? Just because I'm used to your tardiness I'm your best friend? I'm leaving." He stood up and prepared to leave when Seoeun held his arm back. "Yah~ you know that's not what I meant." She pouted and Luhan bit back a smile. 
 
"Hmm... as a punishment of being late again," he emphasized the word. "Treat me icecream." He said as he faced her. 
 
She rolled her eyes with a smile and stood up. "That's my punishment every time. And every time you pay before I could even take out my wallet. How is this my punishment again?" 
 
"Fine, then you pay for it this time. I won't interfere. Now let's go!!" He pulled Seoeun out of the cafe excitedly. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Seoeun and Luhan were friends since the first grade. As they grew older, their relationship grew closer as well. Even as Luhan's popularity grow throughout the years, he still remained as Seoeun's best friend, and she was thankful for that. 
 
Whenever she has problems, she would go to Luhan for advice. Even with a baby-face and a childish personality, he could be pretty mature if he wants to.
 
Seoeun never really knew why he's still single. Girls were practically flocking to him like bees to honey, and some of them were really pretty with a nice personality, too. She tried asking him a few times but all he replied was "I just don't have the feel for anyone yet." with a secretive smile. 
 
She even suspected him of being gay once and asked him about it, but all she got from him was a smack on the head. 
 
That was the first and last time she's ever going to ask that question. 
 
There were times where she jokingly asked him, "You like me, don't you? That's why you don't like all those other girls!" She would gasp dramatically and hold her cheeks with her hands, acting shy and everything. Luhan would just go with her acts everytime and gasp with her as well. "How did you know my secret?!" And it will turn into their very own miniseries. 
 
Everytime they go out together, everyone would mistake them as a couple. When they clarified that they're just good friends, people would sigh and compliment them that they would make a good couple. It got to the point where Seoeun gave up and just nod her head, thanking them for thinking that she and Luhan make a cute couple so that she wouldn't have to explain the whole thing again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Annyeong ahjumma!" Seoeun skipped towards the ahjumma that was selling ice cream. 
 
"Oh, Seoeun-ah! Luhan! You guys are here for ice cream again?" The ahjumma beamed as she scooped two cups of ice cream for them. 
 
"Yeah, this girl over here was late again today, and buying me ice cream is her punishment." Luhan told her and the ahjumma shook her head. "Aigoo you were late again? You should learn more about time management, Seoeun-ah." The ahjumma gave her a look and handed one of the cups to Luhan. "But you pay everytime, Luhan. How is this her punishment?" The ahjumma asked and Seoeun elbowed Luhan.
 
"See? I told you. Even the ahjumma notices." She made a face and Luhan just took a spoonful of ice cream and fed Seoeun. "I told you I won't be paying this time, so you better take out your wallet first." He smiled as he ate another spoon.
 
The ahjumma gave Seoeun her cup and she paid for it. "I still don't get why you guys are not a couple; you sure act like one!" The ahjumma commented as she took the money from Seoeun. 
 
"Because she doesn't want me." Luhan pouted and laid his head on Seoeun's shoulder, who shrugged it off. "Yeah, I don't want you." She smirked as she took the change from the ahjumma. "Yah!" 
 
"Aigoo see? You guys are obviously made for each other. Tell me when it happens!!" The ahjumma grinned widely and Seoeun just pouted. "Aye ahjumma! We're just best friends, nothing else would happen. We'll be leaving now, bye!" She waved and dragged Luhan away.
 
"My dear dear Seoeun, do you really not want me?" Luhan pouted cutely with the ice cream spoon still in his mouth. "Of course I want you! Not." She grinned and walked away, leaving Luhan behind. 
 
"Yah!! Fine then, you can go to the bookstore yourself." He raised his head and walked off the other way. Seoeun ran after him and held his hand. 
 
"Aye~ I want you okay?" She relented but Luhan just scoffed. "Nope, too late~" 
 
She rolled her eyes and took a scoop of her ice cream. "Cmon~ you know you want to go to the bookstore too~" She whined while swinging his hand back and forth. She placed her chin on his shoulder and held out her ice cream. "Don't be mad~" He looked at the ice cream in front of him for awhile and ate it, meaning Seoeun won. "Assa~ let's go!" She beamed and dragged Luhan with her. 

On the way towards the bookstore, Seoeun glanced at Luhan's cup of ice cream before looking at her own. "Yah, let's switch." She nudged him and he relented with a roll of his eyes. It was their own thing - Seoeun always buys the greentea flavoured ice cream, while Luhan's usual was mint chocolate chip. When she finished half of her ice cream, she would switch with Luhan. It was their own tradition to switch flavours everytime.

At the bookstore, Seoeun's eyes glistened as she headed towards the horror section. "Omo! It's the third book of the series I'm reading now! It's out already!" She exclaimed happily and showed Luhan the book. The latter, on the other hand, just smiled and nodded before finding the book he wanted.

They always go to that bookstore because it was the only bookstore in their neighbourhood that allowed customers to read their books while lounging in the built-in cafe. After choosing the books they wanted, they headed towards the cafe. Seoeun sat down and began to read her book eagerly while Luhan went to buy drinks for them.

The girl behind the counter saw Luhan approaching and put on her best smile. "Hello, what would you like to order?"

"I'll have a white chocolate mocha frappe and a greentea latte. More whipped cream please." He smiled as he took out his wallet to pay for it.

When the orders were done, the girl passed him his drinks together with a slip of paper and smiled coyly. He smiled and pushed the paper back to her, knowing very well what was written inside. "Sorry, I have a girlfriend." He told her and walked back to where Seoeun was.

He placed the drinks on the table, snapping her out of her engrossed reading. "Thanks!" She beamed at him as she took a sip of the mocha frappe. She saw the sulking girl behind the counter that was looking their way and placed her drink back on the table before resuming her reading. "Rejected a girl again?"

Luhan smiled as he took a sip from her drink. "Aw this is why you're my bestie; you know me so well!" He pinched her cheeks and she slapped his hands away. "Sure, whatever. I don't know why nobody appeals to you. I'm pretty sure you're not straight, you know." She flipped a page and commented. "Yah." Luhan warned and Seoeun smiled anxiously and tried the green tea latte. "KIdding~ You're as straight as that pillar. Got it." She said seriously and buried her face in her book again. Luhan just sighed and shook his head before opening his book to read.

 

 

 

It was already nightfall when they decided to go home. Luhan’s house was a few streets down from Seoeun’s, so he would normally walk her home before going home himself. “Hey Mrs Han.” He bowed respectfully at Seoeun’s mother who happened to open the door when they reached Seoeun’s house. “Oh, Luhan!! I haven’t seen you in a while. Do you want to come in for dinner?” She opened the door wider and motioned for Luhan to go in.

 

“Oh, no thank you, Mrs Han.” He smiled and declined her offer. “My mom cooked dinner already.” Mrs Han pouted but put her smile back on again. “Alright then. Tell your mom I said hi.” She beamed and waved. “I will. Bye!” He smiled back and turned to Seoeun. “Bye, pigrabbit. See you tomorrow~” He knocked her head lightly with his knuckles again and left.

Pigrabbit was a nickname Luhan gave Seoeun. No, it wasn’t because of the immensely popular Korean drama “You’re Beautiful”, it was because she sleeps a lot and loves carrots, so he thought that the nickname fitted her well.

Seoeun rubbed her head and went into her house. “I don’t get why you and Luhan aren’t together yet.” Her mom started and Seoeun groaned. “Mom~ not this again!”