05.

An Autumn Story.

"So... I saw Chanyeol at your front door yesterday night." Luhan said casually as they went to school together. 

Seoeun stopped swinging their intertwined hands momentarily and stared at him. 

Luhan shrugged. "I was on my way to the convenience store last night when I saw him." he fibbed. "That's his name right? Chanyeol?" he asked and Seoeun nodded subtly before biting her lower lip. 

"What did you see?" She asked softly after a moment of contemplating.

"Lips on the forehead. Grinning. Happy faces." Luhan shrugged and said casually. It was actually killing him inside when the image from last night flashed through his mind, but he remained his pokerface.

Seoeun sighed and took a deep breath. "He confessed." Luhan let out a soft scoff and smirked. "Figures." Seoeun didn't hear him and continued. "But I didn't answer him." This made Luhan snap his head towards Seoeun. "What?"

"You heard me." She shrugged. "I didn't accept, nor reject him. I'm kind of sure that I don't feel that way for him but I'm not good with rejections and you know that." She glanced at Luhan and he nodded. 

"But you can't keep him hanging forever." Luhan pointed out, feeling a bit relieved that she didn't reciprocate that tall dude's feelings. 

"I know!" She whined and hung her head low. "But how am I supposed to reject a friend that's been nothing but nice to me? You remember in 5th grade where that guy confessed out of nowhere? I don't even know him and I almost died rejecting him. How am I supposed to reject Chanyeol?" She shook his shoulders and buried her face in his chest. 

Luhan patted her back comfortingly and sighed. "Uh... I don't think you need to anymore." Seoeun looked up with a puzzled look. She followed Luhan's gaze and her eyes widened when she saw Chanyeol just a few feet away from them. "Chanyeol…" She whispered. 

"You don't have to worry about anything anymore; I understand. Sorry if my confession startled you." Chanyeol said with a sad smile that didn't reach his eyes like his other smiles and backed away slowly before breaking into a sprint. "Ch-Chanyeol ah!!" Seoeun chased after him. "Seoeun!!" Luhan called after her but decided it was best if they sorted this out by themselves. He sighed and gave one last glance at the pathway Seoeun ran on before going to school. 

 

Luhan went into Seoeun's homeroom first to tell her teacher that Seoeun won’t be coming to school.

When he stepped in, all the girls stopped talking and started whispering excitedly in hushed tones. "Omo it's Luhan! What's he doing here? This isn't his class?" "Maybe he's here to look for that Seoeun girl?" "But they always come to school together, and she's not here yet. Omo did they have a fight?" Luhan sighed at the conversations and went straight to her homeroom teacher. 

"Sir? Han Seoeun isn't feeling well so she won't be attending school today." Luhan informed him and the latter nodded. "Alright, tell her to submit a letter of absence on Monday then." Luhan nodded and bowed before leaving the class.

He took out his phone and began typing a message to Seoeun. 

 

To: Seoeun

I told your teacher you won't be coming to school so just take your time to sort things out. Call me when you're done or if you need anything. Hwaiting!

 

 

Seoeun slumped her shoulders when she lost trail of Chanyeol. "I swear he ran here just now…" She pouted and sat by the curb. Just then, her phone rang and she opened Luhan's message. She smiled lightly and wanted to call him but she remembered that it was still school hours, so she pressed reply instead.

 

To: Luhan

Thanks. I at directions, I swear. I lost him T___T How am I supposed to explain to him now? Anyway I'll be at the ice cream ahjumma's place so come find me when you're done.

 

 

She hit send and began to stand up. She brushed the dirt off her skirt and looked around one more time to check if Chanyeol was hiding anywhere. When she couldn't spot that specific giant, she pouted and walked towards the ice cream kiosk. 

Chanyeol came out of his hiding spot - which was the alleyway across the street - and looked at the disappearing figure of Seoeun. *Sorry, but I don't think I can face you or the rejection right now.*

 

"Ahjumma!!" Seoeun greeted with a small smile and the ahjumma's face lit up when she saw who it was. 

"Aigoo Seoeun ah! Where's Luhan?" She rolled her eyes at the typical question and settled down next to the ahjumma behind the counter. 

"He's in school now but he'll come over later." The ahjumma nodded and scooped Seoeun's ice cream as usual. "What about you? Don't you have school?" 

Seoeun heaved a sigh for the umpteenth time that morning and focused on her shoes. "I skipped." The ahjumma sensed something was wrong since Seoeun rarely skipped school and just waited for her to elaborate on it. 

"I'm a bad friend, aren't I, ahjumma?" Seoeun raised her head and stared into space. The ahjumma placed the ice cream cup in Seoeun's hands and sat down beside her. "What makes you say that?" She took a deep breath and began her story.

"How am I supposed to reject a friend, ahjumma? He's an important friend to me and I don't want to ruin our friendship." She pouted and the ahjumma patted her back comfortingly. 

"There, there. There's nothing wrong with rejection, even if it's rejecting a friend. The word's invented for a reason, you know. If you don't like him that way, then you don't. No point dragging each other's time in finding the right one, right?"

Seoeun nodded her head slowly and laid her head on the ahjumma's shoulders. "I guess. But I just can't say no; I find it hard to do so." She confessed. 

"Everyone has to say no at some point of their lives. If you don't like him, it's better to tell him straight sometimes than to let him harbour false hopes." The ahjumma advised and Seoeun let out a breath. "I guess you're right. Thanks, ahjumma. Talking to you makes me feel better already." She flashed a grateful smile at the ahjumma and the latter smiled back. "Anything for my favourite customer. Here, have another one - it's on the house." She was going to scoop another cup of ice cream when Seoeun stopped her. "I think I'll save that cup for Luhan, he's coming soon." She smiled after glancing at the time on her phone which showed 1:51pm. 

 

"Annyeong ahjumma! Seoeun!" Luhan exhaled a sigh of relief at the sight of Seoeun. "Sup." Seoeun greeted casually while the ahjumma started scooping the ice cream for Luhan. "Oh, you're here."

Luhan nodded and went to Seoeun's side. "So…" He started, waiting for Seoeun to continue. 

"He ran off in some direction that I don't even know existed. I'll tell you everything later." She picked up her bag as the ahjumma handed Luhan his ice cream. He was about to pay when she stopped him. "It's on the house." She smiled warmly and Luhan smiled back, not wanting to question the sudden generosity. "Thanks, then. We'll be going now, bye!" He waved and took Seoeun's hand as they went back home. 

Seoeun started her story once more and Luhan just listened quietly, eating mouthfuls of ice cream and feeding her occasionally. "Did you try calling him?" Luhan asked and Seoeun stopped midway while eating the icecream off the spoon. "God I am such an idiot!!" She fumbled with her bag and took out her phone and dialed Chanyeol's number immediately. But of course, as expected, he didn't pick up. 

"Of course he wouldn't pick up my calls." She muttered as she slipped her phone into her pocket after calling him 10 times. Luhan threw the empty cup into a nearby rubbish bin and took Seoeun's hand instinctively. "Give the guy a little time. Maybe you could try again later? Or text him and ask him to meet you." Luhan suggested and she pondered over it. "It seems like a good idea. Guess I'll just have to wait." She mumbled.

"Can I stop by your house first? I don't feel like going back to mine just yet." She asked and he shrugged. "Sure. My mom hasn't seen you in a while anyways; she'd love to see you again."

 

"Seoeun ah!!" Luhan's mom cried happily and engulfed her in a hug. "Hey, Mrs Lu. Long time no see." Seoeun greeted as well as she could and Mrs Lu frowned when she saw Seoeun’s troubled face.

“Is something wrong?” She asked worriedly and Seoeun quickly waved her hands and smiled. “No, no! Nothing’s wrong, don’t worry.” Mrs Lu was still skeptical but she shrugged it away since it seemed that Seoeun didn’t want to talk about it.

“We’ll be upstairs, mom.” Luhan informed and she nodded. “Alright.” She pulled Luhan back while Seoeun went up the stairs first. “Is she okay?” Luhan shook his head. “I’ll tell you later.” She stared at the back of Seoeun and nodded.

Luhan went up to his room with banana milk in his hands to find Seoeun lying on his bed with an arm covering her eyes. He placed one of the banana milk in her hand and she smiled lightly. “Banana milk?” She guessed.

“No, it’s a bomb.” Luhan joked and she laughed as she sat up straight. “Thanks.”

Luhan laid down beside her with his head upside down on the side of the bed. She laid down on the bed as well but with her elbows supporting her instead.

She sipped on her banana milk. "How am I going to reject him?" She pouted and finished up her banana milk. Luhan chuckled at her cute expression and sat in the same position as Seoeun.

“Did you text him yet?” He asked as Seoeun threw away the empty bottle and laid down in the same position as he did just now. “Yeah, I told him I’ll meet him later at 8 at the Han River, but I don’t know if he’ll show up or not.” She said, facing the wall upside down. “Are you gonna go yourself?”

“No I’m bringing my imaginary pet pig as well.” She said sarcastically and Luhan rolled his eyes. “Glad to see you’re feeling better by the minute.” He mumbled. “But I’m serious here. What if he doesn’t show up? Or if he does something to you?!” His protective side was coming out. “I’m going with you.”

Seoeun shot up and looked at Luhan. “What? But this is my thing; you don’t need to or should be there.”

“You said you don’t know how to reject him nicely right? I have an idea.” He grinned and Seoeun raised an eyebrow.

“I’ll go with you and tell him that you’re already with me, so you can’t accept him.” Seoeun shot him a look. “Seriously? How is that believable? We’re friends for so long and everyone in school knows that we’re just friends and suddenly we’re together?” She retorted.

“Then we’ll tell him that we’re actually together from the start but you didn’t want to let anybody know so we kept up with the ‘just friends’ façade.” Luhan shrugged and as much as Seoeun didn’t want to drag Luhan into her situation, she was thinking about that option.

“That seems… believable. But are you sure it’s gonna work? It won’t hurt our friendship right?” She asked. “Of course not, we’re friends for so long already and everyone thinks that we’re a couple; it’s gonna be easy.” Luhan waved it away and she slapped his shoulder. “I meant my friendship with Chanyeol!”

“Oh.” Luhan smiled sheepishly. “I guess it won’t.” He shrugged and threw the banana milk in his hand away. “Oh right!” He snapped his fingers and reached for his bag. “Here.” He pulled out a stack of papers. “This is your homework for the weekend.” Seoeun groaned and lay on his bed again. “I know you’re bad at math, so since I’m here you’d better ask me now if you have any questions.” He placed the papers on her stomach and she pouted. “Fine, let’s do homework then.”

 

Seoeun was through with her second math assignment after 2 hours and moved on to the third one while Luhan was finished with his homework. He stretched and stood up. “Where are you going?” Seoeun asked, eyes not leaving her paper. “I’m going to find something to eat. What do you want?” Seoeun thought for a while. “Potato chips!” She answered like a child and Luhan couldn’t help but chuckle. “Arrasseo. Hwaiting!” He smiled and left the room.

He came back 20 minutes later (thanks to his mom stopping him from going back unless he explains everything to her) with cookies and some other snacks. “We ran out of potato chips so-“ He stopped when he noticed Seoeun sleeping on the study table. He softened and placed the snacks on the table as quietly as possible. He crouched down to her level and brushed her bangs away from her face. was slightly open and her right hand was still gripping onto her pen, but she still looked beautiful to him. He took the pen out of her hand slowly and carried her to the bed. When her back hit the comfortable mattress, she stirred and opened an eye, only to see Luhan’s face just inches away from hers. “Hmm…” She hummed. Luhan saw her expression and smiled. “Just sleep, I’ll wake you up later when it’s time to meet Chanyeol.” He her forehead and she nodded and closed her eyes again.

It was 7:15pm when Seoeun woke up. She rubbed her eyes tiredly and saw Luhan peering at her at a close distance again. “What time is it?” She croaked and her side, hugging his pillow. “7:15.” He chuckled. She nodded and snuggled into his pillow, inhaling his scent. *Luhan always smells like peach. Weird scent for a guy but I like it.* Seoeun smiled and stretched, deciding that she had enough sleep already.

“You can sleep for another 15 minutes or so, you know.” Luhan informed, patting her bed hair in place. “I’m gonna have insomnia tonight if I sleep so much now.” She yawned and rubbed her eyes cutely. “Besides, I probably should go home and change first before going to wait for Chanyeol.” Luhan nodded and stood up with her. “Let’s go then.”

 

They reached the Han River at exactly 8pm and found a bench to sit down. “Do you think he’ll come?” She pouted and looked around. “I’m sure he will, let’s just wait.” Luhan comforted her.

After an hour of waiting, Seoeun was beginning to lose hope. She breathed out and hugged her jacket closer to her. Luhan noticed this and gave her his jacket. “But you’ll get cold too.” Seoeun frowned and gave him back the jacket. “Don’t be stubborn and just accept my jacket, will you?” He pouted and Seoeun gave up. “Don’t come scolding me when you get cold later.” She glared at him. He saw a convenience store across the street and nudged her to get her attention. “I’m going to get us hot chocolate.” She nodded and he dashed off.

She was blowing air into her hands when someone sat beside her. “What took you so long?” She asked, thinking it was Luhan but when she turned her head, it was Chanyeol. “Sorry, I didn’t know you’d really wait for me to show up.” Chanyeol apologized and Seoeun quickly waved her hands. “No no it’s not your fault! I…“ she sighed, not knowing how to start.

“Look, Chanyeol, I'm really sorry you had to hear that conversation this morning. You’re a really good friend of mine but I don’t think I like you that way.” She bit her lip, stuttering along the way. “It’s not your fault, really! It’s mine, and I’m really sorry I can’t accept you but I really hope you can find someone better than me that likes you back and again I’m really sorry and you'd probably think I'm a bad friend now-“ She rambled on. Chanyeol cut her off by placing his hand over and he chuckled. “Alright, I get it. You don’t have to speak like a bullet train, you know.” Seoeun smiled sheepishly and scratched her head. “Sorry. I got carried away.”

“Just so you know, my feelings aren’t going to disappear within one night so you’ll have to give me time to go back to myself around you.” Chanyeol smiled and Seoeun could see the hurt behind it. “I’m really sorry again.” She lowered her head guiltily and Chanyeol patted her head. “It’s not your fault. It’s my fault for choosing the wrong person to like I guess.” He shrugged.

“You’ll be at Luhan’s party tomorrow, right?” He asked and she nodded. “Great. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” He smiled and gave her a short hug before standing up. He waved happily and walked away. Seoeun sighed and placed her hand above her heart. Just then, Luhan came back with hot chocolate and handed her one. “You were of no help, but thanks for coming with me anyway.” She smiled at Luhan and sipped her hot chocolate. “He came?” Seoeun nodded and Luhan fake pouted. “Aw, I was looking forward to seeing his expression when we tell him that we’re a couple.”

Seoeun slapped his shoulder and rolled her eyes. “Fine, fine, I’ll stop.” Luhan laughed. “Your future boyfriend should be warned beforehand that you’re an abusive girlfriend.” He rubbed his shoulder where she hit and she glared at him. Luhan smiled angelically and stood up. “We should go, it’s getting late.” He held out a hand and she grabbed it to haul herself up.

“Thanks again. You’re the bestest friend anyone could ever have.” Seoeun smiled and swung their intertwined hands. “Of course. Aren’t you proud to be my friend?” Luhan said smugly and she rolled her eyes with a smile.

Soon, they reached Seoeun’s house and Luhan patted her head. “See you tomorrow, pigrabbit. Remember to wear a dress!” He wagged his finger and she pushed it away. “Yeah yeah, you said it so many times already, grandpa. Goodnight!” She waved and went inside her house. Luhan smiled and went home as well. *Hopefully my confession would be successful tomorrow.*

 

~~~~~

sort of a crappy chapter imo but anyway sorry for the late update! my laptop was sent for fixing so I couldn't update since I normally type it in MS word.

comment and subscribe! thankyou and I love you guys!~ <33