Princess

Dad of the Year

The laugh escaped my lips before I could stop it.  I walked into my daughters room to find her sitting at a tiny, toddler-sized table.  She was dressed in a sparkly pink princess costume, with a boa wrapped around her neck, a plastic tiara on her head and too-big plastic high heels on her feet.

She busily poured a cup of ‘tea’ from a pink tea pot, passing the cup over to her dad who sat across the table from her.  As precious as she was, it was my husband who caused me to burst into laughter.  He sat in a too small pink chair, his long legs folded awkwardly in front of him.  He sported his own feather boa around his neck, and atop his tilted fitted sat another plastic tiara.  The final touch to Yongguk’s attire were the glittery pink hair bows attached to his socks, that I assumed was my daughter’s attempt at making his Jordan slip ons a little girlier.

“Drink your tea before it gets cold, Princess Daddy.” My  daughter demanded and a grin broke out across my face as the very masculine ‘Princess’ lifted the tiny tea cup to his lips.

“Mmm, very good.” Yongguk rubbed his tummy to appease the little girl, who gave a satisfied smile. “We should share with Princess Mommy.”

“Yeah, Mommy join us!” My daughter agreed, looking to me expectantly.

“I’d love to, but dinner is ready.  Princess Baby and Princess Daddy should come eat before the food gets cold.”

“Ok.”  She put down her tiny tea cup and slid off her shoes as Yongguk unwound the boa from around his neck and pulled off the tiara. “But can we drink from tea cups?”

“If you want.” I nodded.

“Yay!” She erupted into cheers and darted out of the room. 

Once she was out of ear shot, I looked to my husband. “I’m jealous babe, you make a really pretty princess.”

“Why thank you.” He said in his most high pitched, but not very feminine voice. “No, really, I want a son.  I think I need my masculinity back.”