Night Night

Dad of the Year

“Mommy!  Daddy!” My daughter squealed as she ran into our room, her climbing onto the foot of our bed with much difficulty. She crawled up towards the head of the bed, laying between us.

“Why aren’t you still asleep?” Yongguk asked, sitting up and looking down at her.

“Can I sleep with you?”

The big, puppy dog eyes she was giving him already told me that there would be a tiny little third person joining us tonight.

“Why? You promised that you’d sleep in your room tonight if we bought you that new Barbie.” He said, playing the role of the strict father.

“But it’s scary in there. I don’t like being by myself.” Her bottom lip jutted out, and Yongguk’s harsh mask cracked just a little.

“You can sleep in here with us, baby.” I told her and she curled up into my side.

“Just for tonight.” Yongguk added. “You have to be a big girl and start sleeping in your own room.”

She couldn’t even nod all the way, her head had barely bobbed once before she fell asleep.

“Aww, she just turned four.” I pointed out, her hair while she slumbered on. “She has a little while left to still be babied. She doesn’t like to be alone; she can sleep with us for a while longer.”

“She’s four now, then she’ll be five, then six.  Kids grow, babe, soon we’ll have a little six year old sleeping in here and kicking me all in the back.” Yongguk grumbled. “If you don’t want her to be alone, make her a little brother.”

“That just means we’d have four people in here.” I pointed out. “I know you wouldn’t expect a baby to sleep alone.”

Yongguk groaned. “We need a bigger bed.”