Chapter One: Adoption?

The Adorable Adventures of Lee Tae Min ~

Kim Kibum tightened his grip on his husband's hand, warning him about the upcoming conversation topic.

"So, are you guys going to adopt or what? You should get a kid soon. I mean, you aren't getting any younger!" their friends asked, giggling.

"Well... I... We--"

"We have discussed the topic before, but decided it be best to get our live in a stable position, financially, before adopting." Jonghyun said, saving his clumsy husband from embarrassment.

"Aww, really? I wanted to see you guys with a kid. When you do decide to adopt, if you do, what age range are you thinking?" the oldest of the females asked.

"I think infant to three is too young, three to five is a bit easier, but it'll be tough training them with the toilet and such, especially with our schedules, so I think somewhere around six or seven would be perfect for us. We can still enjoy the fun things of having a little kid, but it'll be easier to provide and take care of them." Jonghyun told them, continuing to eye Kibum for approval.

"I agree with Jonghyun-ah. Not that we have busy schedules, it's just, they are unpredictable ones. They could call one of us in at any moment, and we would have to go. So, once we have a child, we will have to inform the company that only one of us can go at a time. One of us would have to stay and take care of the child. How they are going to react to that will be interesting, that's for sure." Kibum added, more talking to Jonghyun than their friends.

"Exactly, they always--" Jonghyun was about to continue before his phone went off, a simple ringtone repeating. He answered with a "Yes, Hansung-ah?", nodding his head as he answered with only a "Yes", or a "No". He was finally able to hang up, and sighed heavily once the phone was back in his pocket.

"Come on Kibum, they want us at the office, now. The boss is really mad. I don't think it has anything to do with us, but they want us to be there just so we know what's going on. Sorry guys, we have to go." Jonghyun said quickly, apologizing to their friends before getting up. He threw all his food and drinks into the trash along with Kibum's empty dishes. They slightly bowed their heads as a goodbye to their friends, and ran off to catch a taxi.

"Taxi!" Key whistled as the white vehicle slowed. They hustled inside quickly, gave the driver the destination, and finally had a minute to relax afterwards.

"I wonder what he's so mad about..." Kibum half said to Jonghyun, half said to himself.

"I have no idea. I hope it has nothing to do with us."

"So, do you really think that about the kid's age? You never told me that." Kibum said, looking at his husband curiously.

"Yeah, I thought you would like having a six or seven year old the best as well. A kid that doesn't need all the messy training, but is still young enough to mess up words and spill their drinks, all while having a big smile on their face." Jonghyun smiled at the thought of kid running around their large apartment.

"That's sounds perfect... Oh, the more I think about it, the more I want one!" Kibum sighed happily resting his head on Jonghyun's shoulder.

"Yeah, me too... Let's just wait and see how this meeting goes, and maybe over the long weekend, we can go to the orphanage just outside Seoul." Jonghyun offered.

"Really? Really, Jonghyun, really?" Kibum's head shot up, his eyes full of stars.

"Yes, really, my little Kibummie." Jonghyun laughed at the childish attitude.

"This the place?" The driver called.

"Oh, yes! Thank you, sir!" Kibum said, paying the man before rushing Jonghyun out of the car.

"Hurry! We have ten minutes." Kibum huffed, pushing the "up" arrow of the elevator repeatedly.

"Kibum, honey, relax. You know what happens when you get too stressed out." Jonghyun cooed while massaging Kibum's shoulders.

"I know, I know, I just keep thinking that something bad happened. Hansung never calls us unless the boss is losing it."

"It'll be fine. Some idiot intern probably pushed too many of his buttons again."

"Yeah, you're probably right. As usual." Kibum said as the elevator opened and they entered the empty cart. Jonghyun pressed the third floor button, and waited. Kibum still seemed tense, so he did something that always calmed his husband down. Jonghyun wrapped his strong arms around Kibum's slender waist, surprising the diva.

"Feeling better, sweetheart?" Jonghyun asked, with an extremely sweet voice.

"Much." Kibum whispered, leaning back into Jonghyun's arms even more.

The elevator opened just after Kibum's mind stopped thinking about how much trouble they might be in, and the two stepped out, running towards the conference room door.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever be." Kibum mumbled as he pushed the door open. Their co-workers were so busy talking about the cause of this to pay much attention to them. Only Sungwoo, the newest intern, and the boss' nephew, ran up to them.

"Kibum-ah! Jonghyun-ah! You're here too! What's all this for? Hansung just said that Uncle wanted everyone to come here."

"Apparently, your Uncle is really mad at something or someone, and we are all supposed to be aware of the situation." Jonghyun told the nineteen year old.

Kibum watched his husband converse with the boy, seeing how well he dealt with people younger than him, even just by a few years. After Sungwoo left to go talk to another co-worker, Kibum whispered into Jonghyun's ear,

"You'd make a wonderful father."

Jonghyun looked at him curiously, sitting down in the corner of the rectangle table, motioning Kibum to take the chair next to him. Kibum walked over, sitting beside Jonghyun like he was told, looking at the dino.

"You really want a kid now, don't you?" Jonghyun asked, smirking slightly.

"So badly, you don't even know." Kibum smirked right back. That's what was so great about their relationship. It's like they could read each other's minds. They knew everything about each other. It was a extremely fairy-tale story.

"Well, the long weekend is only one day away, so hold on for one more day." Jonghyun assured his diva.

"I know, I kn--"

"Okay, everyone here? Perfect. Now, you all, listen up. I have something I want you all to know. Hansung, my wonderful helper, lied to you all to get you here. Now that you all are, here's what I want to tell you. Hansung." the boss said, walking to his seat at a fast pace.

"Here you go, sir" Hansung said, handing the boss a piece of paper.

"See her?" the boss said, holding up a picture of a beautiful woman, smiling and waving a peace sign at the camera. "This is my wife, Jaeyoung. Guess what she told me today? That's right, she's pregnant!" the boss told his crew excitedly.

"Uncle, that's wonderful!" Sungwoo squealed.

"Congratulations." Jonghyun and Kibum said in unison, then looked at each other, just to laugh it off.

After everyone had congratulated him and his wife, and the boss sent mostly everyone on their way, he kept Kibum and Jonghyun behind.

"Is something wrong, sir?"

"No, I was just curious... Are you two thinking of children in the near future?"

"Yes. We have been dicussing it all day actually." Jonghyun answered him.

"Well, if you do end up with a child, I will make sure to help any way I can. I know tough it might be with a child and schedules like yours." he said, standing from his chair.

"Well, about that, we do have one favor." Kibum said hesitantly.

"What is it?"

"If we do end up with a child, we were thinking that instead of having both of us come in if needed, only have one at a time, just for the child's sake." Kibum explained what him and Jongyun had talked about earlier.

"I see. That makes sense. I will make sure not to have both of you working at the same time once a child is in the picture. Thank you for telling me." he said before bowing at the two men, and motioning them to go home.

***

After they were in the elevator of their apartment building, heading to their top floor, they were throughly exhausted.

"What time is it?" Kibum asked Jonghyun, trying to keep his eyes open.

"11:30 PM. We don't have work until 1:30 PM tomorrow, but we should milk out any more sleep that we can now." Jonghyun said, moving as fast to their door as they could in their tired state. Jonghyun struggled to get the key into the lock, but eventually managed to open it. They threw their jackets off, leaving a small mess of shoes and jackets at the entrance. Then they left socks, pants and shirts in a pile by the hamper, just so they wouldn't have to deal with that tomorrow morning. They fell onto the bed and key snuggled into Jonghyun's embrace under the covers.

"Jonghyun-ah, can you sleep?" Kibum whispered after a couple minutes of silence.

"Not in the slightest. Why?"

"Do you hear something?"

"Like wha-- Oh, you mean the knocking? Who would be knocking this late at night?" Jonghyun groaned, about to get up, but Kibum already beat him to it.

"I'll get it. Don't worry about getting up." Kibum said, wrapping himself in a silk bathrobe, given to him by Jonghyun, and sprinted towards the door.

"Hell-- Oh my! Who are you?" Kibum yelped once he saw the person at the door. It was a little boy, no older than seven, the left side of his head stained with dry blood.

"My name is Lee Taemin... You won't hit me right?" Taemin asked with a sweet-as-sugar voice, still high-pitched since puberty won't kick in for a couple more years.

"Of course not! Come on in sweetie, let's get you cleaned up. Who hit you?" Kibum said, taking the small boy's hand, and leading him inside. Jonghyun was standing at the doorway of their bedroom, with some pajama pants put on.

"Who's this?" He asked.

"Lee Taemin."

"Why is he here?" 

"Taemin-ah, can you tell me what happened?" Kibum asked Taemin while moving him to the bathroom.

"Are you going to answer me, Kibum?"

"Hold on, Jonghyun-ah. I think he has been abused." Kibum whispered that last sentence to Jonghyun only.

"Seriously?"

"K-Kibum-ah?" Taemin asked, seeing if he got Kibum's name right.

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Appa hit me with a bottle he was drinking from, then Umma ran out the door with him, laughing weirdly. You said you wanted to know what happened, so I tell you."

"He..." Jonghyun stared wide-eyed at Kibum, motioning a hit to the head with a beer bottle.

"Such awful people like that should not be having children." Kibum sighed. He took a warm washcloth, and cleaned the blood from Taemin's milky skin. Afterwards, he place the small boy in the tub, and extremely gently, scrubbed his hair, getting out all the blood and dirt.

"Did you know Appa and Umma well?" Kibum asked Taemin while rinsing the shampoo/conditioner mix out of the his chocolate colored hair.

"No. Umma told me that she was somewhere that I couldn't be for a long time, but said that she was finally ready to take care of me. I met her last week. Same thing with Appa."

"Well, those bad people won't hurt you anymore. You're safe with us." Jonghyun said, trying to show that they are good people.

"So, I won't get hit here?" Taemin asked Jonghyun, tilting his head slightly, showing his confusion.

"Of course not. Kibum and I would never lay our hands on a child." Jonghyun assured him.

"What's your name, mister?"

"Jonghyun. If you want, you can call me Appa."

"And you can call me Umma." Kibum added right after.

"Umma..." Taemin said, pointing to Kibum. "...Appa..." he then said, while pointing to Jonghyun this time.

"That's right, Taemin!" Jonghyun praised the seven year old. Kibum and Jonghyun got the boy out of the tub, and put him in some extra small clothes from their teen years, but they were obviously, way too big on the boy.

"Let's go to bed." Kibum said, shutting off the lights in the bathroom and kitchen. Taemin turned his heel, and walked over to the couch, laying on the cushion with no blanket at that.

"Taemin, what are you doing?"

"This is what my old Appa told me to do."

"Well, not here. Come on in with us!" Kibum said.

"Really?" Taemin jumped up, and ran towards them. Jonghyun saw the same stars in the young boy's eyes that he saw in Kibum's eyes while they were in the taxi.

They all the settled into the queen sized bed, Taemin in Kibum's embrace, both of them in Jonghyun's embrace.

"Goodnight, Kibummie." Jonghyun muttered, his exhaustion kicking back in after the night's events.

"Night, Jongie, goodnight, Taeminnie." Kibum said without thinking.

"Taeminnie?" Taemin asked.

"I accidently gave you a nickname. Oops." Kibum stated his obliviousness.

"No, I likes it! Call me Taeminnie! It is cute, just like me!" Taemin said, giggling at his aegyo.

"Just like you, Taeminnie." Kibum and Jonghyun once again spoke in unison before slipping into sleep. They all forgot the world and all their worries, while be held by a person who cares for them for than anything. Even if it's just for a night, it still felt nice.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the cliche` ending right off the bat, but I needed to prepare for chapter two. Reviews and critiques are greatly accepted. This is my first fanfiction, so I'm sorry for anything that I messed up on in advance. I am new to the AFF world, so I hope to continue this story well. SHINee Fighting!