Day 169

Letters to Nobody

Dear nobody,

                “I might be getting out of here soon,” Mr. ? tells me. We are once again in my room.

                “What do you mean? You’re leaving?” I ask. I feel sad. It only felt like we were beginning to know each other.

                “Of sorts. Not sure when I’m going to do it, but soon. I can’t wait any longer or I’ll go insane.”

                “What are you waiting for?” Every time I am with him, I feel like a child. The idea of him leaving made me think of myself not wanting to let his father go away.

                He combed a hand through his grey and white hair. I had never noticed but Mr. ? looked much older than when I first saw him. “Remember when we talked about teaching somebody a lesson? Well there’s somebody out there in which I’ve got to teach him a lesson.”

                “What did he do to you?”

                He chuckled. “Honestly, I did more to his family than he did anything to me. But he’s the reason I’m in here and he’s the reason of all the pain I had to go through.”

                I look at him, worried. “You’re in pain right now…”

                He bends over and ruffles my hair. “I was, kid. But since I met you, I’m no longer in any pain. I feel pretty damn good.”

                His small comment makes me smile. I had the ability to make somebody feel good.

                “I don’t want you to go.” I say with a plea. It was the truth.

                He smiles. “Trust me, I’m sad to go too. But there’s people waiting out there for me.”

                “What if I figure out your name? Would that stop you from going?” I blurt out.

                Laughing he gets out of the chair. “Perhaps, kid. You figure out my name and I’ll think again about leaving.” He grabs the desk to help himself up and in the process, knocks it on the side. The small tissue where I keep my pills fall out from its hiding spot and they all scatter across the floor.

                I immediately jump up to clean it up. I had forgotten they were there and seeing them brought about a kind of sadness I had put down for a while.  He bends down to help me. He picks up a blue pill and it. “What are these, kid?”

                Like a child caught with their hand in the cookie jar, I say shamefully, “Midmorn, Midnoon and Midnight. I didn’t take them all because they made my head all fuzzy. But I keep them for when I can’t deal with the pain. It stops me from thinking.”

                He stares at the pill. “Do you mind if I take some of these?” He grabs a handful and weighs them in the palm of his hand.

                I debate over the request. I hadn’t used them for a while actually. I hadn’t found the need for them with Mr. ? being by my side. If he needed them for moments of clarity then I wanted to help him.

                I nod.

                He stuffs them into inside of his blue jacket and ruffles my hair again before standing.

                “You’re a good man, kid. A very good man.” 


ah, i'm finally back after somewhat of a hiatus. i had midterms last week and they were honestly draining. but i'm back for the time being and i hope you enjoy this chapter! writing all of this actually makes me feel a little bit sad... ofc, these are all interpretations of "good" and "bad" and "justice". i'm curious, what are your interpretations of these? i believe everybody views this very differently and there is no "right" or "wrong". 

please leave your comments down below! i love reading them and i'll do my best to respond to each and every single one!