Day 171

Letters to Nobody

Dear nobody,

                “Taehyung-ah, what are you thinking about?” Sunny asks me, “You have been spacing out a lot lately. Is there a lot on your mind?”

                “Just something that a person told me,” I respond. I did not know how to tell her that it was Mr. ? I was thinking about.

                “Is it your friend?” Seokjin asked me. The way he said “friend” seemed different.

                “Yes.” I respond.

                “Taehyung-ah, don’t be angry at me, okay?” Sunny suddenly said.

I wonder, why would I be angry at her?

“I don’t think you should see Mr. Jackson anymore.”

                My head comes up at the sound of the name. Jackson. I finally figured out his name. I smile internally. We are back on level playing grounds again. I couldn’t wait until I could use his name in front of him. He wouldn’t have to leave me alone.

                “I don’t think he’s a good man,” Sunny was saying.

                That phrase has me jolted out of my thoughts.

                “I’ve been hearing stories, Taehyung-ah. Bad stories about this guy. He’s not a good influence on you.”

                I get defensive. “You’re wrong. He’s my friend.” He is. He is the one I’ve been able to create memories with. Memories that did not involve Sunny or Seokjin; just like how they were creating memories without me.

                Seokjin places a hand on my arm. “Friend may not be the right word, Taehyung. He’s not right in the mind. In all the times here, he’s never made a friend. We’re just afraid he’s using you for something.”

                I knock his hand away. How dare they say that he was a bad man? They did not know him as I did. “You’re still wrong. He chose me to be his friend and I won’t let you say bad things about a good man.”

                “He’s not a good man,” Seokjin says, “Now, let’s be reasonable here.”

                “I am reasonable!” I shout.

                He tries to offer me my cup of tea but I do not feel like drinking. He presses it onto my palms and I snap. I throw the glass onto the floor and watch as it smashes into a billion pieces.

                “Taehyung-ah,” Sunny and Seokjin both call after me.

                “I’d like to leave now,” I tell the Stick outside the door, my voice shivering.  She had been peeking in after hearing me raise my voice. She also had one hand on the needle. I know she is looking at Seokjin for affirmation that I can leave. I assume that’s what he gives her as she tightly grips my shoulder and holds me close to her as we walk.

                “I can walk myself,” I tell her, trying to shake her grip from me.

                “I’m just trying to protect you,” she doesn’t yield, holding me even tighter.

                I comply.