Silver - Yadong

10 Memoirs of Me and You

Dongwoo always considered himself second place. He was awkward and found weird things funny. He had a stupid laugh and a wide gummy mouth. If high school had taught him anything it was that people were mean. And that he was nothing to look at or spend anytime with. 
 
Then Sunggyu came along. At Dongwoo's job at an arcade was a bit event less unless a machine broke but the small eyed male started working and in came his brother Sungjong and Sunggyu's close friends Hoya and Woohyun.  
 
Overall Sunggyu was a nice guy. He was hard working and helped Dongwoo out when it was after school hours and there was an influx of people. But with Sunggyu came Woohyun. Woohyun was loud and talkative and really funny. And although Dongwoo got picked on a lot for his laugh he could never hide it back from Woohyun's corny jokes to Sunggyu which would get the older flustered. Sungjong was nice like Sunggyu and came after school most days with his friends which gave the boys something to do. 
 
Then there was Hoya. Hoya was silent compared to the other boys.  But Dongwoo could tell why Hoya came to visit Sunggyu with Woohyun. He notices the flinches when Woohyun grabs hold on Sunggyu's shoulder or when he leans in tell him secrets. Dongwoo may not be the smartest guy on the planet but he fancied himself pretty keen when it came to knowing when someone liked another person. 
 
"Pretty close huh?" Dongwoo nodded towards Woohyun who was showing something to Sunggyu on his phone. "Huh? Oh yeah." Hoya mumbled. "We just met Woohyun a few months ago though. He started going to school with me." Hoya said filling in a blank for Dongwoo on how the smiley male came to meet them. 
 
"And he just was really attached to Sunggyu." Hoya shrugged. "But you like Sunggyu." Dongwoo said turning to look at Hoya. The look on his face was a mix of disgust and shock. "What?! Are you insane. Of course not. It's sick and wrong. I am his best friend." Hoya yelps, but even then his voice is still low so even though Sunggyu and Woohyun can tell something is wrong they don't know what is being said. 
 
Dongwoo stares at the male with wide eyes. Was is wrong? He didn't know. But Dongwoo knew love was love, even if it was different. When Dongwoo doesn't answer Hoya looks upset and grabs his backpack and leaves waving off the two other males at the front desk who in return give Dongwoo a confused look. 
 
Hoya doesn't come the next day and when Dongwoo asks Sunggyu about it he told him Hoya wasn't feeling well. Dongwoo didn't believe that for a minute but choose to let it go. Hoya doesn't come for any time that week but Woohyun does and Dongwoo can only think that the two before his eyes have no clue what they are doing to poor Hoya. 
 
When Dongwoo walks home from work he finds Hoya sitting in the plastic furniture of the convenience store with a bottle of beer in his hand. "I don't understand why people drink when they are depressed. It's a depressant." Hoya says looking up at Dongwoo who quirked his head to the side. He had always believed that as well. "Care to join me?" Hoya ushered to the chair next to him. 
 
Dongwoo takes it and grabs a beer from the container of 6 with 3 missing already. "You're a pretty heavy drinker huh?" Dongwoo asked opening his bottle quickly. "Only when I feel like I need to forget. I normally get drunk and call Sunggyu. We hang out and do stupid things." Hoya shrugs.  
 
Dongwoo nods and sips on the drink. "So any reason we are drinking tonight?" Dongwoo asks resting back against his plastic chair. "To a new relationship." Hoya's face says it all. "Woohyun confessed?" Dongwoo asked knowingly. "Yeah..." Hoya sighed before pressing the bottle to his lips again.  
 
"Sunggyu accepted of course." Hoya nods and Dongwoo smiles a little seeing how depressed his friend was. "Of course. It's easy for gold medals." Dongwoo nods before taking another sip of his own beer. "Gold?" Hoya asked. "Yeah, you know first place gets gold, second is silver and so on. Take it from someone who has always been a silver medal, you'll get used to it." Dongwoo says putting his beer down on the table. 
 
"I'm far too attractive to be a silver." Hoya laughs before taking the last gulp of his beer. "Face it, you where picked over Namgrease! You're silver." Dongwoo laughs before finishing up his beer as well. "Don't remind me." Hoya shakes his head as he grabs the last two beers from the carton before handing one to Dongwoo. 
 
"To silver medals!" He raises his bottle up. "To silver!" Dongwoo cheers as well with a smile. "Maybe next time we can win gold." Hoya settles back into his chair letting the humid night air capture him. "Or find someone willing to settle with silver." Dongwoo nodded taking another sip of his drink.