I Wear My Sunglasses...

Rain On My Vacation

It's raining. I can see the rain. Hear the rain. I feel it seep through my skin, making me feel and exposed. I feel it but, I love it. The rain always made me feel alive, refreshed, renewed, like it was cleansing away any worries or doubts and leaving my mind free from it all. Like a pure mountain spring. Rain, rain, rain, rain. The rain keeps pourring until the sound if it hitting the floor of my mimd starts to become muffled. Already, I think in my head. It's time for me to open my eyes and see where I am. Alright _______! Time to wake up, I tell myself. 1,2,3 and open...

I start moving, first my fingers, then my toes. Good my appendeges are still in order and my legs and arms are still intact. Funny way of thinking in the morning, I know but, doesn't hurt making sure all your parts are in working order in the morning. I lift one eye lid slowly and then the other. I squint for a bit and start opening my  eyes slowly according to how comfortable I am with the lighting. Once my eyes are fully open I start to move my eyes and then my arms and roll around in my bed. My senses start kicking in I inhale the scent from my sheets. These sheets smell amazing. I lay on my back taking in the time and my surroundings. I was in Toronto, went on a plane, came to Korea, checked in my hotel room, woke up still alive and breathing. I'm good, I thought to myself as I reached for phone from under my pillow and pulled out my earphoes from under my . I check my phone, 9:47 am, I must've been really pooped out of my mind. I mentally count to three to get out of bed. Once I successfully (but clumsily) make it from my bed to to my bathroom, I lock myself getting ready to do my beauty routine for the morning and plan my schedule. I decided to shower and co-wash my hair first and then continue on with my face after. I start to exfoliate my skin getting rid of any signs of jetlag on my face, then I give it a good rinse and get my mostrurizer out. I mostrurize my skin with some body butter that I got form The Body Shop. I let the smell of macadamia fill the bathroom and take a deep breath. I go on to do my hair and decide to put it up in a bun after mosturizing it. I put a bit of BB cream on my face and some masscara. I leave my lips bare only putting on some lip balm.  I walk out of the bathroom with my towel on and search in my luggage for something nice to wear for the rest of the day. I finally decide on my outfit. A pretty lavender flounced chiffon dress. Nice, flowy and light. Just how I like it. I wear some cute flats and and take my white cat-eye glasses and and take out my important affects (wallet, I.D., lip balm, earphones) from my satchel and put them in my light brown clutch bag. I check my stuff one last time and head out to the elevator going down to the main floor. 

I walk out of the elevator and realise how busy everything was. Tourists and natives were busy bustling about while I walked leisurley to ask one of the receptionist desk. No I am not trying to starve myself, I just don't really eat in the morning especially during times with warmer temperature like today. Coincidetally I meet Younah who just finished helping some one and was now free. I walk up to her and give her slight bow telling her good morning.

"Good morning ____-sshi. How are you?

I look at her surprised. She remembers my name? I mean she must meet other foreigners as well and aleardy has to remember enough stuff as it is and she doesn't have to remember my name but, she did. I'm impressed.

"I'm fine and you?"

"Oh busy and but could be worse. Like nobody around. Now that would be nightmare" she says chuckling at her words. She's right, that could be a worse case scenario. I mean it's a hotel and more people means more business so I get what she is trying to say.

"Anyways, what may I help you with" she asks.

"Well I was wondering if you could tell me a good place to have some tea. I don't really want anything to eat right now but I wouldn't mind some delicious tea."

"Well",she says "there's a place where me and the girls go to for our break from time to time that I know of and in my opinion their tea is superb."

"Well if you say it's good then it must be good, could you tell me where it is?."

The cafe isn't too far away so I know I won't get lost. I tell her goodbye and thanks for the tip. I walk out of the hotel wearing my cat-eye sunglasses and head off in the direction Younah tells me. Outside is warm and there is a freshness in the air or maybe it's just me. Anyways after a couple minutes of walking I start to really grasp my surroundings. Every little shop, boutique, stall, salesman and woman. Every child holding their mother hand and old men on the side playing alkkagi next to some shop. I noticed some foreigners who looked like they leave around the area that were just going about their business. I'm sure they must've been a little scared of living here seeing as the population mostly consists of Koreans while the visible minority consists of..well anybody not Korean. However I'm sure once they realized just like any other place in the world they would be faced with a bit of scrutiny, they decided to work it out and try their best at making a life for themselves here. So while walking, I decided I wouldn't let my skin or anything bother my wonderful vacation that I have spent months saving for. I walked with a new pep in my step and even started to notice myself smiling. This is going to be an awesome day I thought and in no time I reached my destination and entered in. The place was cute and had a cool modern yet homey feel to it. The air was filled with the scent of lemon and under tones of vanilla and honey. I'm in heaven I thought to myself. The light from outside filled in through the blinds. A couple was seated on the sofas while having a deep conversation while some patrons were seated at the tables either reading a book or fiddling through ther laptops without a care in the world.

 

161685_1210202241007832426_STD.jpg

I make my way to the counter. The young man doesn't notice me at first because his back was turned to me. After I give the counter a light knock with my knuckle he truns around and gives me an apologetic look and I respond with an understanding smile. He comes quickly to take my order.

"He...llo! H-how may I help you?" he says hesitantly.

Aww, poor thing, He must be trying to see if I understand what he's saying.

"Hi", I tell the young man back in Korean, "may I have a honey, chammomile tea with a hint of vanilla please?" I say with a smile.

I see him blush a little and nod saying that he will make my order. I take off my sunglasses and rest them on the counter I look around. I hear Bob Marley's "Could You Be Loved" coming out of the speakers in the ceiling and close my eyes and nod to the music. Good ol Bob, don't even need a spliff and I could get high off of his music. I hear some one clear his throat and turn around to find the young man with my tea. He tells me the price and I hand him the money. He takes it and nods and hands me my change. His cheeks are a littlered and  I wonder if maybe he might be having a bit of a fever.

"Uhm, miss?" the young man talks to me in a hushed voice.

"Yes?" I look at him, my head slitghtly cocked to the side.

"Is there a photoshoot that I should be aware of?"

Now I am lost. Where did he come out with a photoshoot. I never said anything about a photoshoot, so where is this comming from?

"No! I don't believe there is. Why do you ask me such a question?"

The boy looks at me perplexed as if I am speaking a completely different tongue. Then his eyes go big and his cheeks start becoming really red. I look at him worriedly but still have a look of confusion on my face. He tries to keep a straight face and bows telling me sorry and that I should forget about what he just said. No way are you getting off this easy, I wanted to know why he asked me such a question. He shook his head furiously telling me to simply forget it but I keep pressing till he cracks which earned us a few stares and side glances from the people in the cafe. Finally he gives up and in a hushed voice tell me the most ridiculious and one of the cutest things I have ever heard.

"Well miss...I thought you were a model...and that there was a photoshoot nearby...so I just wanted to get prepared for the other people that may be comming with big orders for the staff...and..oh j-just forget it!, the tea maker tells me avoiding all eye contact with me. That's when I couldn't hold it anymore and start to laugh. Okay laugh is an understatement. I was practically crying. This kid, me, a model, he is funny. I see his face through my tears and start to calm down and breathe in big breaths.

"I'm sorry...it just...models are supposed to be a..little...taller than what you see before you. However I will take what you said as a compliment", I tell him.

He gives me a slight smile and I pick up my clutch ready to go.

"Thanks for my tea and I will come again. Bye." I say raising my cup to blushing boy as he bows and watches me leave. I head out the door still giggling at what he said. Sure it might have been a bit rude but it was one of the funniest things ni the world to hear that I could be a model. I'm what...5'2 1/2. Me,a model, I wish. I liked my height. Sure I'm no Tyra Banks or Jessica White but, like my favorite t-shirt said " I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!". Then suddenly sunlight hits me in my eyes and gives me a bit of a shock. Is it me or are my sunglasses not not doing a good job, I think to myself mentally as I reach for them only to realise that they weren't on my face. "Shoot", I say out loud. I left my shades back at the tea shop. As I turn around to hurry back to the shop, I hit something really hard and my tea goes flying out of my hand.