Ryeowook and Heechul

Alone

 

“Hyung, you’re doing it wrong,” Ryeowook motioned, taking the chopping board, knife, and carrots away from Heechul.

“I know. That’s why I will never survive without you, Wookie. Leave Jongwoon and marry me instead,” he grabbed Wookie’s arm and made puppy eyes inappropriate for his age.

Ryeowook broke a shy smile and fixed the carrots.

“Is he treating you well? You’ve been here on the dorm for four days in a row, cooking and cleaning. You’re making ahjumma lose her job,” Heechul unboxed the ferrero stuck on the fridge for no one knows how long it has been there and gave Ryeowook a bite.

“Tastes good expired,” chewing on the chocolate. “He is, he is. He’s just busy nowadays. And the new manager at Baptol’s 2 is so damn OC and trustworthy; we can leave everything up to him so I’m left with nothing to do there. Don’t you want me here? We can play and I can cook anything for you.”

 

Ryeowook had moved in with Yesung almost a year ago. Aside from the Baptol’s, Yesung’s parents are running, they also opened another branch and started adding new dishes on the menu which some are Ryeowook’s original recipes.

It was a great relief for Heechul when Ryeowook phoned him the next day after they met Yesung’s parents and gave their approval on the decision of living together. It kept him on a wishful thinking for a week.

 

“It would be better if you can actually teach me how to cook, just a single dish I can be proud of. I’m a grown man, I can’t live on ramyum and spam forever,” he noted while watching the younger one go back and forth the kitchen, toiling on their dinner.

It made Ryeowook stop halfway stirring the mixed veggies, widened his eyes, “Are you sure about that? Because I just know what to teach you, hyung. No backing out.”

“Tell me what to buy, I’ll go shopping tomorrow.”

“Omo. Can I come? It’ll be fun!”

 

They had slightly burnt stir fry vegetable mix for side dish that evening.

 

 “Why are you here?” Heechul had two brown shopping bags on his arms, peeking from the middle.

Ryeowook had been calling him all morning but the older guy forgot his phone at home that made him think of marked aging. He called Leeteuk saying that Heechul went shopping for weekly groceries and made ahjumma knock it off for the day. Heechul had been reading cooking books and browsing food blogs since last night. He tried cooking a weird fried dish in the middle of dawn and woke him up just to taste test it, giving Leeteuk an upset stomach in the morning being unfit to shoot for Strong Heart.

“You weren’t answering your phone. Teukie hyung didn’t know which shopping place you went to. This is my third stop,” Ryeowook was panting, grabbing the other shopping bag from his hyung. “Did I miss the fun?”

“There was a free taste for a new ddokbuki product. But I think the one sold on the streets by the ahjussis and ahjummas are still better,” he walked past his dongsaeng, leading him to the parking lot.

“Hyung, why didn’t you call me first? I thought you wanted to learn to cook something. Were you discouraged by Teukie hyung?”

“Did you bring your car? I guess we’ll have to drive separately,” he was trying his best not to make it obvious, ignoring the younger one's note.

“Hyung! What’s wrong? It’s just me. You can tell me,” grabbing Heechul on the arm making the grocery bag fall on the ground.

“Aish, this punk. You’re wasting good money,” Heechul kneeled on the ground picking up the tangerines and placing them back to the brown bag. “I just changed my mind, if I wanted good food, I’ll just ask Auntie to cook or go out to eat or order pizza. Simple. Learning one dish wouldn’t make such difference.”

“But hyung..”

Cutting of Ryeowook, “I had this sudden instinct I would really at this. I always have an option to marry someone who cooks very well and will never let her husband starve.” Heechul stood up, pat Ryeowook’s head and forced a weak smile. “But I’m really grateful, Wookie. Thanks for always feeding your moody hyung, for always peeling oranges for me, and telling which drama is worth watching.” He turned his back, cursing himself for the unconscious mushy word vomit.

Ryeowook lowered the shopping bag he was holding on the ground, slowly moving forward and hugged his hyung from the back. “I’ll always be the happiest knowing you and Teukie hyung are eating healthily.”

“Hey, get off. People are staring.”

“Sorry. I’ll drive you hyung. I’ll just ask Jongwoon to pick the car later.”

“No. You bring the car on the dorm, phone Jongwoon to come over. Let’s order pizza an ice cold beer.”

“Then I’ll just cook.”

“But there’s nothing to cook at home. Let’s just have pizza.”

Ryeowook was slightly puzzled. Heechul just went outside of a grocery store but noting that there will be nothing to cook at the dorm. He peeked at the shopping bags seeing it was full of tangerines and the one he was holding was packed of cat food. The older guy shrugged his innocence.

“I know a good pizza place, hyung.”

“Great. Order three family size, pepperoni and cheese, all-meat, supreme. Do they take cards?” Heechul took the cat food from Ryeowook and motioned the kid to get his car and instructed him to drive ahead.

 

That night, Yesung came with Sungmin . They ate pizza and drank beer with Ryewook, Heechul, and Leeteuk. They talked until the last drop of beer and 'til the tin cans were crashed, trying to catch up with their lives after the group had a final stage.

The young ones left that morning after they cleaned up the living room and were sober enough to drive safely.

Heechul woke up alone, scanning the kitchen for breakfast. He fed Bangshin, who is trailing after him and brushing his fur against his leg, catfood worth of dinner and breakfast. He found peeled oranges on the fridge and a tag: For Kim Heechul. He smiled at the sight of it.

He grabbed his iPhone and started typing.

 

Heechul Hyung:
1:07 pm

Wookie, I don’t think Beijing Fried Rice would taste the same if a Korean will cook it. Don’t you think so? :)

Dear Ryeowook,

Heechul loves good food. He might have those days craving for a certain dish. I hope you wouldn’t mind cooking for him once in a while. It would be nice if he’ll ask you to teach him how to cook, right? Always remind him to eat well. And don’t forget to feed the cats. Here’s a secret. He loves taking care of his dongsaengs. But then I think, it’s pretty obvious.

 

 

...

I don't really know why I'm writing too mushy stuff. My heart can't bear it :( and why am I posting this with inappropriate gifs :D