Yesung, Sungmin, and Heechul

Alone

 

“Hyung! You came,” Sungmin was beaming while he approached Heechul on the huge glass door. He assisted him to settle himself on a high-chair on the bar tender’s nook.

“I have nothing else to do tonight,” Sungmin then pouts at his statement.

“You’re so sweet, aren’t you?” Yesung went beside Sungmin consoling the younger one.

“Yeah. What is this place exactly?”

“Where we work,” implied Yesung.

“Oh well. Life is ephemeral. Might as well do whatever you want. Okay. Go forth my children, do what you have to do. I’ll just sit here watch you glisten in the limelight of the spectacular stage.”

“.....” Yesung and Sungmin exchanged perplexed gazes as they waived goodbye to their hyung and promised they’ll be back after their performance.

“Don’t worry. I’ll just sit here and try my best not to get too drunk so that I can give a standing ovation after you sang,” Heechul waived farewell like a keyed up goldfish flopping his fins.

It was a Wednesday night, right after Heechul’s broadcast for Youngstreet, and he decided to finally venture Sungmin’s invitation to go to the pub where he and Yesung performs as unknown artistes. They only agreed to perform there every Tuesdays and Wednesdays when the place is not too crowded and on the condition that they will sing whatever songs they choose. The place is filled with dim yellow and crimson light, there are two wine bars on both sides, silk and satin curtains hanging from the ceiling around a shimmering main chandelier, round tables with classic silver Victorian two-tier centerpiece with a sculptured candle lit on top accustomed with wooden chairs painted in gold with red cushions, the stage on far right is endowed with vintage microphones on a white stand, a red grand piano and a strings quartet, and that was when Heechul knew the place isn’t cheap. You can hardly recognize people’s faces, which was a good thing for Heechul because he felt so lazy putting up a disguise that evening. Most of the clientele are foreigners and top-class business associates merrily chatting in English and tossing expensive wine glasses. People sure have a lot of money to burn, Heechul thought to himself. He tried his best to be at ease with the place but he was already itching to go home to Bangshin and Leeteuk and he felt a little sorry that Sungmin and Yesung had to perform to this kind of place. After a white female sang a bossa, his gaze shifted back to the empty stage; he stared at the red grand piano while a little voice was screaming at him ‘Go home with Papa you y thing!’ He badly wants to play the red piano and sing at the vintage microphone. He barely sings at Youngstreet and only gets a chance when he goes to noraebangs with Leeteuk. It was so inviting, the whole solitude of the stage minus the awkward gray suit with penguin tales that the quartet are wearing.

“I only get to sing decent songs whenever Jungsu is drunk on karaoke. Just this once,” Heechul pleaded.

“Umm, hyung. I..We..don’t know yet. The stage PD might fire us, you know,” Sungmin tried to lower his voice with the last few words while digging a circle on the wall.

“It’ll be pretty costly keeping me shut from telling Kyu and Wook you sell your flesh to those dirty old me―”

“Hyung, we don’t do service he―” Sungmin had moist eyes.

“How did you get in here from the first place?” they were on the waiting room getting ready for their feat, Sungmin will play the guitar and Yesung on vocals. “And earlier, aren’t you a little drunk, hyung?”

“No, I am not, Jongwoon. You haven’t seen me in a while?”

“We just went to the dorm last week, hyung.”

“Oh. So, is there any way.that.I.can.sing.with.you? Or at least play the piano while you sing?”

Yesung and Sungmin then again exchanged baffled glances.

“It’s okay if not,”he finally gave up, turning his back, lowering his head.

“.....”

 “Yes, you can!” Sungmin screamed.

It was part of the act; he was smirking on the shadows of his hair and victory was his.

 

Three years ago.

“Hyung, you don’t have to do this,” Sungmin pleaded. “Please, don’t, I’m begging. Everyone is worried.”

“Shut up,” he then flicks Sungmin’s forehead. “You’re all worried I’m going to make a commotion? Don’t worry, Minnie. You can tie Jungsu on his chair and calm his balls.”

“Yeah, and when he faints, I’ll be the backup,” Heechul and Yesung high-fived.

The wedding ceremony ended without a flaw. As the newly wed couple marched down the church aisle beaming with pearly white smiles, guests showered them with white rose petals, and the wedding singer played the piano and congratulated them, “Best of wishes to my best friend and his lovely wife.”

 

Heechul was still wearing his casual suit; his hand was trembling a little. He unconsciously lifted his hand against the blinding spotlight, eased himself before the piano. When was the last time he performed or sang on a stage with more than ten people as audience, he tried hard to remember. It seemed like he was debuting again, his heart has this unfamiliar pounding. He had this song in mind for weeks now, even humming it on the shower, while heating dinner’s left over, while feeding Bangshin. He noticed the crowd would care less who is singing as long as they get soulful, soothing music for the night; the mere reason why Sungmin and Yesung had worked there for almost a year now. Socialites went there to relax their minds, drink expensive wines, show-off their labeled bags, burn money; not to care who the singer before them is (if they didn’t like the act, they would make a civilized direct report to the higher authority). They don’t care at all. It was suffocating him. He just needs to sing it out. No one to impress. Just him and the y red grand piano and the vintage mic on a white metal stand.

“You take responsibility for this if he messes up.”

“I will, don’t worry,” Sungmin was praying hard.

“Hope he won’t sing any weird American rock song.”

Sungmin prays harder.

Heechul started pressing on the black and red keys. He drowned there for the moment, heads turn towards the stage, captured all ears, Sungmin lifted his head, smiling like a ray of sunshine, Yesung sighed a relief.

Your two eyes see me
You laugh sweetly
Even that day is gone
I see you laughing
I know it all
Always love

You approach dazzlingly
I borrow a dream,
It snatches you forever

Your two eyes see me
You laugh sweetly
Even that day is gone
I see you laughing

I know it all
Always love

You approach dazzlingly

I borrow a dream,
It snatches all of you forever
The day does not leave
You need me,
My mind is shaken and is put out
It doesn't leave

Your two eyes see me
You laugh sweetly
Even that day is gone
I see you laughing

The following morning.

“Yaahh?” Heechul was half-awake.

“Hyung, are you free tonight and for the rest of the week?”

“I’m a busy human being. I have an old man and a cat to feed.”

“The pub was asking for you.”

 

 

p.s. Okay. I at this supposed-to-be-chaptered fic. These are one-shots compiled on one post. What am even thinking?? Am I even making sense /sobs on a corner. Tell me, I beg of you, if it’s confusing.

p.p.s. Oh btw, the song Heechul played is Smile – Cho Kyuhyun (yep!) Hyena’s OST. Idk, it’s sooooo relaxing, like a lullaby. This fic might take me forever to finish, knowing the lazy I am.

p.p.p.s GIF: explains YeMin's reaction upon Heechul's arrival (or most of the time) :D I really need to explain this. K.

p.p.p.p.s Welcome to my guess-what's-going-on-to-Hanchul-fic OTL