Chapter 3

A Cracked Reflection

“Thanks for coming in today, Youngjae. The sooner we get everything into motion, the better.”

Youngjae nodded in agreement, “Of course, I understand.” He said, offering a light smile to Jieun as they walked down one of the many halls of the office building. He was glad that it was empty and void of any other workers (then again, coming in at the early hour of 5am had that effect on the population of the office), he hadn’t slept but barley a wink in the two hours since he had called Jieun to confirm his acceptance in the mission, and he was sure that he looked a hot mess with his hair sticking up in all sorts of directions and the bags surely visable under his eyes.

“Alright, we’ll start with some training…” Jieun said, pushing open the door on their right. “You’ll need to learn not only how to properly handle a gun, but survive in hand to hand combat. We can't send you out into the feild without the basics.”

Youngjae snapped his attention to Jieun, his eyes wide, “I’m… I’m not going actually… have… to use the knowledge… right?”

Jieun shook her head, “No, we are hoping that you won’t actually have to shoot somebody, but, the fighting… Just remember, you are going to be undercover in a gang. You have a tough guy image to uphold, let’s not ruin it with you getting your kicked on the first day, okay?”

Youngjae nodded a bit numbly, wondering for the nth time that morning what exactly he was getting himself into.

“Okay, girls, this is Youngjae… Please… teach him well!” Jieun said, pulling Youngjae into the large room with its padded, faded blue mats littering the walls and floors before disappearing. The room was spacious enough for a simple boxing ring in one corner, multiple fighting dummies and quite a few other contraptions that Youngjae didn’t even know what to call.

The girls grinned, the blonde one of the two approached Youngjae first, “The name is Hyosung,” she said, extending her hand to Youngjae. “I specialize in weapons.” She said, tucking a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. She was wearing a black sports bra and a camouflage coverall, the top half of which was down and around her waist, the arms tied around her hips to keep it in place. “And this is Zinger.” The brown haired girl gave him a nod and a simple ‘sup’. Her dark brown hair was pulled up into a messy bun; she wore a simple crop top and slightly baggy cargo pants, “She’s our resident fighter…” Hyosung said before turning to Zinger, “Maybe I should teach him how to handle a gun before you beat him up?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Zinger said with a nod.

Hyosung took Youngjae’s hand, leading him into the tunnel like room across from the main room. “Firearms are dangerous tools, and aren’t to be taken lightly. Before you so much as even touch a gun, there are a few cardinal rules that you need to learn.”

She left Yongjae near the entrance and went and picked up a gun from the table against the side wall, “Now, You’re going undercover into a gang, they aren’t going to pay attention to most of these, but… One, I want you to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times and keep your finger off the trigger. I don’t want you to misfire it and do something stupid. Two, the gun is always loaded. Even when it is not loaded, it is loaded.”

“But that doesn’t make sens-“

“Youngjae. The gun is always loaded. Treat it as such, and don’t interrupt.”

Youngjae nodded, making a zipper motion across his lips as he continued to watch Hyosung check over her chosen gun.

“Alright, hopefully you won’t have to reload a gun very often, but I swear to god, use the right ammunition. If your using a gun with a .223, don’t try to put 5.56x45mm ammunition through it, kay?”

“But I don’t know what that means-“

“Obviously because you’re supposed to be tough, you won’t be able to wear ear or eye protection,” Hyosung continued, ignoring Youngjae, “Wear sunglasses at least to protect your eyes…  and on the plus side, those are generally tough looking, right?”

"Ah,  yeah, I guess-"

She walked over to stand directly in front of a target that was set up on the wall on the far end of the long hallway like room. “If your gun doesn’t fire when the trigger is pulled, be cautious. Don’t panic, panicking makes you stupid, just, keep calm about it. Back to the original statement of hopefully you won’t ever have to fire a gun.”

She brought her gun up, staring down the eye sight as she studied her target, “Never, and I repeat, never, shoot hard or flat surfaces, this includes water. It’s too unpredictable of how the bullet will ricochet, especially on water.”

“Last rule, Youngjae. Never mix alcohol or drugs with firearms… but, that’s a given, you know?” With that, Hyosung fired off all of the rounds in the gun she was sporting, hitting the center of the target each time.

With each bang, Youngjae gave a small jump, trying to grow accustomed to the loud clap of the gun firing. “D…Didn’t you say something about ear protection.”

“Yup, but, you’re not going to have it anyways, might as well get used to it. Hopefully you won’t actually have to carry a gun around, but…” She threw him a grin over her shoulder, “Let’s get you working on your aim. We only have two hours before its Zinger’s turn with ya!”

 

Needless to say, Youngjae was almost looking forward to getting beaten up by Zinger after only an hour and a half with Hyosung. They had learned a lot about his firearms skills, that being that he actually had pretty good aim.

They also learned that he often yelped like a little girl when the gun fired in his hand, causing a lot of laughter on one side and blushing of cheeks on the other. Hyosung had put him through the paces from learning to at least somewhat handle every type of gun in the arsenal on the table from simple handguns to army style sniper rifles. His arm ached and his shoulder was more than likely bruised, but, in all, Youngjae felt a little bit more confident in the thought of possibly being confronted with a gun of his own while undercover.

“That’s about all I can teach you in such a short time, Youngjae… I’m sure you’re going to do great, okay… Now, rest up a little bit before Zinger kicks your , okay?”

Youngjae’s smile faltered, “S... she’s really going to beat me up?”

“Noooo~ Of course not~” Hyosung said with a light laugh, skipping off and leaving Youngjae suddenly worried if maybe he should forgo learning hand to hand combat.

 

Worried was probably the worst emotion that could describe exactly what Youngjae felt at the moment as his back slammed down into the blue, supposedly padded, mat for probably the 12th time in the past few minutes. Not that he could accurately count anymore, he was pretty sure that if he didn’t have a concussion at this point, it would be considered a miracle.

“C’mon, get up, Youngjae!” Zinger prompted, bouncing around him as he slowly sat up and carefully got to his feet as his body protested, just wanting to lie on the mat for a couple more years.

“You’re letting Zinger totally whip your , Youngjae!” Hyosung called from where she was sitting, propped up against a wall watching the completely one sided fight training go down.

“I’m… trying…” Youngjae wheezed, leaning his sweaty palms against his knees as he tried to at least somewhat catch his breath.

“Well, you’re not trying hard enough, Jae.” Zinger said, striking quickly while Youngjae was least expecting it, the thin boy just barely able to block the kick with his already bruised forearms. “How do you expect anyone to take you seriously” She threw a punch, nearly catching Youngjae’s jaw, had he not ducked beneath it in the nick of time, “If you can’t even beat a girl-oomph.” The wind was knocked from Zinger’s lungs as Youngjae grabbed at her arm, flipping her right into the mat that he had fallen into so many times already. He collapsed onto the ground with her though, breathing heavy.

“Much better Youngjae.” Zinger said with a grin as she popped back up, rubbing her slightly stinging backside, “Let’s take a break…”

“Just a break?” Youngjae whined as he rolled on the mat, throwing a weak tantrum as he couldn’t find the energy to actually do anything about it.

“Yeah… Just a break. You have the basics. You need more practice. Let’s get breakfast, and Jieun has you set up with a stylist to work on your new look.”

Youngjae let out a long whine like sound, ceasing his rolling as he lay face down on the blue mat beneath him. “Fiiiine.” He grumbled, closing his eyes to allow himself just a bit of rest.


The start of Youngjae's transformation. I have maybe two more (at the most, maybe i can squeeze it all into one chapter) before we start seeing Youngjae moving into his gang life and meeting B.A.P for the first time. I'm excited, are you?

I hope all of you are enjoying this, please, don't be afraid to comment, I reply to everything and love to have conversations with my readers. Any questions you might have, i'll be more then happy to answer~!

Cuddles,
Lynn