Chapter 25

A Cracked Reflection

 

Hey guys, Himchan's background ahead. /sobs it probably really and sounded better in my head to be 100% honest.


 

Youngjae let out a large exhale of air as Daehyun ran out of the bathroom after finishing his business and flopped onto the bed. More importantly, onto Youngjae himself. “Aish, you’re heavy!” He complained, trying to push Daehyun off from where the elder had taken to laying across his stomach.

“Nah-uh… I’m a fluffy cloud of lightness.” Daehyun said, voice muffled by the pillows and blankets as he purposely  weighed himself down on Youngjae.

Youngjae gave an over exaggerated cough, “C…an’t… breathe!!”

Daehyun rolled off of the blonde, looking up at as he propped himself up onto his elbow.  “Then how are you talking?”

Youngjae pouted, punching Daehyun’s arm, “Smartass.”

The smile was light as Daehyun flopped onto his back to stare up at Youngjae’s ceiling, “Yeah, I kinda am, aren’t I?” he asked, laughing as Youngjae nodded in agreement, “You’re supposed to deny it…” He said, rolling his eyes a little.

The two fell into a comfortable silence as they lay next to one another on the bed, legs hanging over the side and feet rested on the floor. Daehyun’s hand slowly slid into Youngjae’s and he intertwined their fingers together, “Hey… Youngjae?”

“Yeah?”

“Can we… uhm… not tell the others… about us?”

Youngjae looked over at Daehyun, squeezing his hand lightly, “Of course, Daehyun…” He said, “But… why don’t you want to tell them?”

“It’s not that I don’t want to… I know they would accept it, it’s just…” Daehyun sighed, “Himchan hyung is… it’s complicated, Youngjae.”

“Does it have to do with how Yongguk hyung saved him?”

Daehyun turned his attention quickly to Youngjae, “You know?”

Youngjae shook his head just a bit, “No… not really. Zelo just mentioned it in passing…” He said, “What happened?”

“It’s not my story to tell…” He squeezed Youngjae’s hand lightly, “You should ask Yongguk hyung…”

“Why not Himchan hyung?”

“He won’t talk about it… To any of us…”

 

Youngjae found himself once more picking at the hem of his shirt as he stood awkwardly in the doorway. He and Daehyun had stayed in his bed for as long as possible until Himchan came banging down their door, dragging the brunette off to god knows where to do whatever it was that was on Himchan’s honey-do list. This left Youngjae with three options, hunt down where Himchan had taken Daehyun off to, find out where Zelo and Jongup were hiding out, or go talk to Yongguk.

Since curiosity was cruel and merciless thing, Youngjae found himself with the last option as he slowly made his way over to the couch and sat down carefully next to the elder as Yongguk continued to talk to the TV, firing off his invisible riffle in tune with the gun fire in the war movie.

“Uh… hyung…”

“Mhmm?”

“Can I talk to you?”

Yongguk immediately reached for the remote, pausing the movie instantly and turning to Youngjae, “What’s wrong…”

“W…what!” Youngjae blushed a little, flopping back into the cushions of the couch as he picked at the fraying edges of his t-shirt, “N…nothings wrong… I just… wanted to ask you something.”

Yongguk raised an eyebrow silently, waiting for Youngjae to continue on. Realizing that the elder really wasn’t going to make this any easier for him, Youngjae finally let his thoughts fall from his mouth in quick succession. “Zelo had mentioned that you had made up some stuff to make B.A.P seem more badass then it was at the time, and you did it to save Himchan hyung and Daehyun told me not to ask Himchan hyung what happened because he apparently won’t talk about it, so I was kinda sorta wanting to know if you would tell me.” He took a deep breath, holding it as he waited.

Yongguk leaned back a little, leaning his head back against the back rest of the couch as he stared at the ceiling, “Oh… Yeah, Dae was right, Himchan wouldn’t talk to you about this…”

Youngjae watched Yongguk carefully, “So… will you?”

With a slight nod of his head, Yongguk looked at Youngjae, “Yeah, but… don’t go talking to Himchan about it…” Youngjae made a cross over his heart, smiling just slightly to let Yongguk know that he wouldn’t speak a word of it to Himchan. “Alright… So… Zelo told you about how I… helped him?... while his parents were fighting…” Yongguk started.

 

At fourteen, Yongguk was constantly thought to be older, his maturity levels beating out that of most adults. He couldn’t help it honestly, he’d been forced to grow up fast, help take care of himself and the house, and it had just become part of who he was. Day in and day out, he’d hear the same noises from next door, shouts of anger, two voices constantly fighting over the stupidest of things.

But above all, he’d hear the soft sounds of someone leaving the apartment as quietly as they could. Every day, Yongguk would lean out the door to his own apartment and his heart would shatter as he watched the seemingly depressed, broken boy sit on the stairs with a heavy sigh and just stare into nothing as his parents continued to fight… continued to ignore him.

That’s why Yongguk had come up with the plan to help this boy in the only way a fourteen year old could. He’d give him an escape.

It had all gone perfectly for those first few weeks. Every night, he’d meet the boy (who he learned liked to be called Zelo) in the hallways of the apartment building and they would share whatever food Yongguk had managed to throw together for the night, Yongguk got Zelo to open up more, to talk to him and most of all, Yongguk got him to smile. Then it happened. That night that was forever imprinted on Yongguk’s memory.

Their shouts were louder than normal. More violent. Then the shatter of the vase before the cry of pain. Yongguk wasn’t sure what had come over him as he kicked in the door, grabbing the bleeding and sobbing boy before throwing the two arguing parents a disgusted look before leaving with Zelo wrapped tightly in his arms.

He’d honestly feared the worst that night as he took Zelo to the only safe place he could think of. What if Zelo needed to go to the hospital, he didn’t even know the kids real name… let alone his medical information. Lucky for him, the cut had been minor, and after a little first aid via Yoseob, they had gotten the bleeding under control.

Yongguk knew it was wrong to have taken the kid from his parents, but, every time he tried to get Zelo to go back home, promising that it’d be safe for him now, Zelo would immediately run and dive under the nearest bed, latching onto the farthest leg and refusing to come out until Yongguk swore, swore against every single last cherry tomato in the world, that he’d never make Zelo go back home.

Three years later, as Yongguk wandered the streets, he knew he had done the right thing by getting Zelo out of that house. At a mere 11 years old, Zelo was probably the happiest kid he had ever laid eyes on. Somehow, he’d always know how to make the room just light up, no matter how much of a bad day Yongguk or Yoseob had been having. Zelo had even taken to calling him and Yoseob his “best absolute perfect hyung’s”, a name that Yongguk had taken and decided to use to do what he considered his calling.

He didn’t understand it, but, all he ever really wanted to do in life was help people that couldn’t help themselves, and sure there were charities that he could go through, volunteering that he could do, but it wasn’t the same as truly helping someone.

That was how he and Yoseob had come up with the idea. Zelo’s “best absolute perfect” hyungs would take their helping natures to the street, under the guise of a street gang. Zelo spent hours on the computer, updating form after form, spreading news about a new and uprising gang, ‘B.A.P’, said to live by their own rules and take from nobody. Truthfully, Yongguk didn’t know how well it’d work out, but soon, he’d seen just the impact of the ‘anonymous’ posts as the whispers of the gang escalated into a much bigger scale then he had anticipated.

A light smile tugged at Yongguk’s lips as he continued to think back at just how he had managed to get to where he was, his hands were shoved down deep in his pockets as he trudged along. He was going to meet Yoseob for lunch before they headed into some of the other parts of the city to try to clear away some of the lower life gangs that were dealing drugs out to students at the local schools. He’d just passed by a darkened alleyway when he heard it.

“L…let me go!”

“Shut up, pretty boy. You know you like the attention.”

“Stop it!”

Yongguk turned into the alleyway immediately at the frantic plea, his eyes adjusting to his dim surroundings. “Yah!! What the hell do you guys think you’re doing?!” He shouted, startling the group of teenagers that didn’t seem much older than himself as they surrounded the brunette that was being pinned back against the dirty brick wall.

The brunette seemed to shrink back farther into himself, trying to pull his jacket tighter around himself in hopes of keeping himself completely covered. His hair was a mess, a clear sign that someone had already drug him around by the brown locks. For just the shortest of seconds, they made eye contact and Yongguk was positive he could see the tears in the other’s eyes before he looked away again.

Yongguk wasn’t stupid, he knew what was about to happen and he’d be damned if he was going to let it continue. “Get the away from him now.” He growled, his deep voice dipping just an octave lower in anger.

“Why don’t you make me?” One of the guys stepped away from the brunette, moving to stand in front of Yongguk as he stared down the young teen.

As if sensing this was his break to make a run for it, the other tried to take off, pushing off from the wall he had been pressed against and trying to run for the safety of the sunlight street just outside of the dingy alley. A tight grip circled around his arm as he was yanked back, slammed back into his spot against the wall as his face was pressed into the grimy brick.

Yongguk could hear the small sob the brunette let slip as he struggled to get away from the much larger men. His attention snapped back to the larger guy that stood before him as he pushed at Yongguk’s shoulder, “Yah! I’m talking to you, punk!”

Yongguk raised an eyebrow, “I really don’t care what you have to talk about. I want you to call off your friends, and get out of here.”

“Why do you even care anyways… He’s just a filthy little … He’s just asking for it…”

Yongguk could have sworn the boy only sobbed louder as his struggling seemed to diminish, obviously giving up and accepting his fate to some degree. Something snapped within him, he barely felt the stinging pain in his hand as his fist made the connection with the guys face, breaking his nose with a clean ‘snap’. “It’s my business when you are on B.A.P’s territory.” He growled, watching as the bloodied face went pale.

“Dude, nobody said B.A.P was out this far…”

“Well, you’ve been told now. If I ever see you or any of your low life friends around here again, I’ll personally pass it on to those in charge and it you had better hope that you kissed your mother good bye that morning.” Yongguk glared back at the punks that were still holding the brunette firm against the dirty alleyway wall. “And he’s under our protection. I don’t want to see you so much as looking his way again.”

The boy hit the ground as he was released, and the teenagers took off, leaving Yongguk alone with the still crying brunette. “Hey… You okay?” he asked trying to let his voice soften out so he didn’t sound quite so angry, reaching down to help the boy.

“D…don’t touch me!”

Yongguk was taken aback as the boy pushed his heels into the ground, trying to get away from Yongguk. His eyes were wide with panic as he looked around for any escape. His hands found purchase on the wall as he slowly pulled himself back up to stand, continuously watching Yongguk for any signs of sudden movements. “J…just because y..you helped me… I… I don’t owe you…” He said, his voice on the edge of hysteria, his chest rising and falling rapidly with his sharp gasps for breathes.

“Of course not… I just-“ Yongguk knew it was a mistake the second he had taken that half step forward as the brunette suddenly pulled back his fist, socking Yongguk in the face as hard as he could before topping it off with a  quick knee to the groin. The second Yongguk collapsed to the ground with a hard cough, his hands clutching protectively at his bruised privates, the brunette fled.

He could hear a commotion right outside of the alleyway before it quieted down and a small hand lightly touched his shoulder, “Don’t tell me that that kid actually took you on, Yongguk… are you getting soft?”

Yongguk cleared his throat, still feeling winded as the pain slowly diminished, “Unn… no… walked in on him getting harassed… he panicked…”

“Damn… he’s got quite the arm on him then… you’re lip is busted…”

Yongguk laughed lightly, “Yeah… I’m glad that’s all that’s wrong though…” he said, allowing Yoseob to help him to his feet as he still stood slightly hunched, “It could have been worse, Yoseob…”

The bleach blonde smiled softly, “Yeah… it could have always been worse, Guk… lets go clean you up now, okay?”

 

It had been a few weeks since Yongguk had seen the brunette from the alleyway, and frankly, he’d have been lying if he claimed that he was anything but worried about the others safety. Zelo had done some research on the boy, coming back with a single name, no surname or anything else for Yongguk to really go by in his quest to find the brunette.

‘Himchan’

His name was Himchan, that was all Yongguk knew. He let out a heavy sigh, pushing open the door to the nearby coffee shop rather roughly as he made to step into the shop. He was met immediately by scolding hot liquid soaking through his shirt, burning at his skin.

“! Sorry!! Damnit, this is not my day…” The voice felt familiar to Yongguk, deep but not like his own, and raspy in its own sort of way.

Yongguk looked up, his eyes widening slowly, “It’s no problem, Himchan.”

“But my coffee—“ The brunette before him stopped, his eyes widening as he looked up and made eye contact with Yongguk. “N..no…” He took a step back away from Yongguk, ignoring the odd stares he was getting from the random passbyers on the street, at least, if that was he even noticed them in the first place. Himchan turned to make a run for it before Yongguk grabbed his wrist, stopping him. “Stop! Let me go!” Himchan cried, thin fingers pushing at Yongguk’s as he continued to keep a hold of Himchan’s wrist.

“No… You’re just going to run off again.”

The sentence only seemed to make Himchan panic further as he desperately looked around for some sort of escape, his fingers still digging into Yongguk’s hand as he tried to free his entrapped wrist.

“Aish, I’m not going to hurt you! I just wanted to ask you if those guys have bothered you any since that day.”

Himchan looked up at Yongguk, shaking his head quickly as he chewed on his bottom lip.

Yongguk gave a heavy sigh, “Good…” he said with a nod, “Now… let me at least buy you another coffee since I’m wearing yours.”

Himchan let out a small hiccup of laughter, somewhat reluctantly allowing Yongguk to lead him back into the coffee shop before insisting on paying for the coffee and taking Himchan back to one of the empty tables.

The brunette couldn’t help but merely stare down at the coffee within his hands, still chewing on his bottom lip as he turned over what it was that he wanted to say in his head. Finally, he took a deep breath and blurted it out, “Why does B.A.P even care?” He asked quickly, staring at Yongguk.

“What?”

“Why does B.A.P care what happens to me.” Himchan repeated.

Yongguk sighed a little, “It’s not just much as them personally caring about you… it’s just… what I do, you know?”

“No.”

“I like to help people.”

“So you aren’t even in B.A.P?” Himchan seemed to be slipping into panic mode again as he ran his fingers through his hair, “Aish… they are going to kill me when they find out you were lying…”

“Hey now… I wasn’t lying…”

“You just said it’s just what you like to do…”

“Well yeah, but I never said I wasn’t in B.A.P…” Yongguk replied, blowing at his own coffee before taking a large sip of it. “Actually… I sort of… made B.A.P.”

Himchan, who had been in the middle of drinking his own coffee, spit out half the mouthful and choked on the other half. “E…excuse me?” He demanded as he pulled out a couple of napkins from the dispenser and cleaned up his mess.

“Yeah… I told you… I like helping people… I can show you the rest of the gang if you want?”

Himchan stared at Yongguk for a while, “… Just so you know, I’ll kick your if you try anything. O..okay?” he finally said.

Yongguk nodded a bit, “Got it…”


Aish, it's 4.23am. I need to get my to sleep.

This was going to be longer, but I decided to split it into two parts, next part will be uploaded... tomorrow i guess? I hope? Cliffhanger otherwise?

I ended up spending the first half of the night helping my dongsaeng here on AFF write her first fic.

It's a GTop fic (any VIPs here?), so, if you guys want to check it out, it's called " A Night to Die For "

okay, i'm going to bed now.

peace out!

Cuddles, 
Lynn