Did I Miss Something?

We Are One

 

Chapter 1: Did I Miss Something?


 


 

'Okay, it's not like I haven't done this a million times. All nine of us are finally together. I can't let my mind wonder to things that are unnecessary. Just breathe.'


 

Jessica sighed as she faced herself in the mirror. It had been a bit of a hassle getting into the restuarant without a huge crowd practically stalking them inside. Luckily top dollar places not only had the best menus, but they also had the best security. Grabbing her clutch, Jessica took one last look at herself in the mirror.

"Fighting!" With a nod she left the safe haven of the ladies room and headed to the private room the girls had hidden away in.


 

"Yah, Sica, we thought you fell in." Yuri complained as she peered over her menu. "I was about to send out a search party."


 

Jessica just laughed and took the seat next to the black pearl. " I wasn't gone THAT long."

" Well, we never know with you." Tiffany chimed in from across the table. "One second you're fixing your make-up, the next you're asleep against the counter." Jessica just rolled her eyes and began to focus on the menu, as the rest of the girls snickered at the very true statement.


 

" This is nice. I'm glad we can joke around like this. It really does feel like its been a while." Hyoyeon smiled to herself.

" That's funny coming from you, since all you do is joke around." Sooyoung poked Hyo's side.

" Yah! I can be serious and sentimental too, you know. " The dancing queen pouted.

Jessica looked around the table once more, her eyes halting on Taeyeon. The leader was tracing the rim of her ice water with her middle finger. Her eyes didn't really seem focused, like she was off in her own little world. Jessica smiled. She knew a little too well what that was like. With a tap on her left shoulder her focus was turned to Yuri once again. The girl's lips were practically against her ear.

" Hey." Yuri whispered, sending a slight chill down Jessica's spine. " Don't be so obvious."

Jessica's eyes widened and she felt a blush creep to her cheeks. " I-I don't know what you're talking about." She looked at her menu once again.

" Right, well, manager oppa is right next door. Don't forget." Yuri smirked and turned her attention to Yoona who was currently laughing at Sooyoung.

Jessica glanced back at Taeyeon and sighed to herself. She had to remember to be careful.


 

Taeyeon could feel someone staring at her. She had a pretty good idea who it was, but didn't want to make the moment awkward by staring back. This dinner was suggested for a reason and she didn't need anymore distractions than necessary. However, she found herself already glancing over at the girl who seemed to be having an intimate moment with Yuri. Taeyeon scoffed to herself when she noticed a light blush on Jessica's cheeks. 'That girl is so obvious.'

Taeyeon turned her attention to Tiffany. The red head was immersed in a conversation with Sunny, but her left hand had found it's way to Taeyeon's thigh. She glanced down at Tiffany's hand and then back at Jessica. Then, with a sigh, she leaned on the table and went back to tracing her glass with her finger.

" Girls," Taeyeon spoke absentmindedly, slightly surprising herself that she spoke. " Um, now that everyone has ordered, can I ask everyone to speak open and honestly?" All attention falling to the kid leader, she thought for a moment before continuing on. "With our five year anniversary coming up soon, I'd like us to all speak about things that have been bothering us. I don't want anything hindering our next year together as a group. Are you guys afraid of anything or hoping for anything? Let's take the time to talk about this now, by ourselves, before we have to share with the world what we should first share together." Her gaze catching Jessica's.

" I'm worried about something." Yoona spoke up, her gaze falling to her hands. "Taeyeon-unnie, Tiffany-unnie, Seohyun-ah, you all just did so much without any rest and now we're promoting again. You're actually mixing your Sub-unit promo and our Paparazzi promo a little. Taeyeon-unnie, your health hasn't been too well as it is. I'm afraid the three of you may not be letting your bodies fully recover."

" Unnie." Seohyun smiled and gave Yoona a hug. " Thank you for your concern."

" Yoona-ah, we worried so much for you during your constant scheduling with us promoting and your dramas. You're like our role model. You did it and so can we." Tiffany smiled and clenched her fist. " Fighting!"

" Oh no, we're going to get all emotional before we even get to eat. Taeyeon-ah, why must you always get us all mushy?" Sooyoung asked as she sniffed and wiped her eyes.

" What do you mean always? Taeyeon rarely initiates this kind of conversation." Jessica stated matter of factly. Everyone paused and just stared at her. " What? I'm just being honest."

" Sica effect." Yuri grinned and poked Jessica's cheek. " You don't even need to be infront of the camera to do it."

Taeyeon frowned at the interaction. Why was she getting so irritated? 'Oh yeah, let's dwell on that right now.' The young leader sighed to herself. "Wel-"

" Yah! Here's a question." Sunny interrupted. "What is up with the pairing promotions lately? I mean, no offense, but Taeyeon and Tiffany always get the spotlight." The short haired, aegyo queen, crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair.

" We don't really control that, Sunny, You know it just depends on what the fans seem to want the most." Tiffany laughed and held up a peace sign. " But if you want some spotlight just create it yourself." Everyone laughed in response.

" What the fans want." Seohyun repeated when it got quiet again. " I don't understand"

"What don't you get Seohyun-ah?" Sooyoung asked as she ate a small piece of bread.

"Well, if it's really what the fans want, then how come Taeyeon-unnie and Jessica-unnie always seem so distant?"

Taeyeon's eyes nearly popped out of her head as she spit out the water she was currently drinking. All eyes focused on her as she started coughing due to the water currently stuck in . Tiffany began patting her back.

" You alright, Tae?"

" Yes, I'm-I'm alright. Wrong tube." Taeyeon sat back up and wiped with a napkin. " Why do you ask Seohyun-ah?" The maknae's eyes widened at the question.

" Well, I always see people asking where your and Jessica-unnie's relationship disappeared to. How come we aren't promoting you two, if it's based on what the fans want?" Taeyeon's mind went blank as she stared at Seohyun. The girl was obviously expecting an answer, but currently the leader was at a loss for words. Taeyeon sighed and looked over at Jessica. Their gazes met and held.

There really was no good way to answer this question.

" Unnie?" Seohyun asked. Glancing around the maknae noticed everyone was avoiding eye contact with her. Suddenly everyone's focus was diverted to the door and everyone sighed in relief.

"My ladies, your dinner has arrived."