Into the Dark

This Love

~Eunhee~

 

 

“Mehi, I can’t stay here forever you know” I giggled slightly as I watched Mehi’s expression sour somewhat as she watched me pack my suitcase.

“I know, but I’m still a little worried” she pouted, and I laughed.

“You don’t have to worry about me. I’ve stayed at your house for several days already, so things should be fine by now. I have a feeling I overreacted a bit” I smiled sheepishly and she huffed, crossing her legs as she sat on top of her bed, picking up her pillow and hugging it to herself.

“Okay, fine… are you sure you shouldn’t call the police or something though?”

I snorted and zipped up my suitcase smoothly before looking up and replying. “I have a feeling that wouldn’t do much for me… and besides, what would I say? ‘Oh hello, recently I suspect that I was being followed home and a few nights after the incident I found a stack of photos delivered to me that were all of me and taken without my consent, so I’d like you to do something and protect me’” I snorted again and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, that would work. I’d probably end up seeming crazy, and delusional. I know that what happened to me was weird, but I have practically nothing for them to work with”

Mehi frowned. “Don’t say that, you’re making me sound stupid for wanting you to try and get help”

I sighed. “I have no proof that it was the same person who followed me and left the photos. Heck, I don’t even know if it is the same person, so it’s pretty pointless. It was probably all just a coincidence and because I’m the paranoid person I am, I just made it seem worse without meaning to” I scrutinized Mehi’s expression carefully, and sighed again when I saw that she wasn’t pleased.

“It’s still harassment though. Being followed, even if it was a once off, and receiving photos of you that you had no idea were being taken… it’s all harassment”

I nodded sadly. “I know, and I was really freaked out when it happened, but now that I’ve spent the past few days with you, I feel a lot better…. and if it makes you feel any better, if anything even slightly weird happens again, I promise I’ll call the police or something”

Mehi sighed before smiling and nodding. “Yeah, that’s a good compromise, I guess”

I grinned, happy that she was content with my decision.

“Alright then!” I grinned before continuing “I’ve been staying with you for over a week, I’ve been intruding for too long!”

Mehi flopped back onto her bed. “I still don’t see why you suddenly decided you wanted to go back to your apartment all of a sudden though, can’t it wait till tomorrow? Its night time” she pouted.

I giggled. “Sorry to be such a bother, I guess I’m suffering home sickness?”

She growled under her breath, making me giggle more.

“Fine then” she seemed to lighten up, and she laughed. “I’ll go and get my car from the parking complex and wait for you out the front, sound good?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’ll see you out there”

“Don’t forget to lock up!” she called as she walked from the room.

I was left alone, picking up the last few things that I had missed and shoving them into the still-ped top pocket of my suitcase. Once I was sure that I had gotten everything, I hauled my suitcase off Mehi’s bed and propped it upright on the floor so that I could wheel it out.

I flicked off all the lights as I walked room to room through her tidy apartment. Her apartment was larger than mine, and had recently been renovated, so it was reasonably well lit and comfortable. It had a nice homey type of feel to it.

I arrived at the front door and pulled on my shoes roughly before slipping outside, making sure that the door automatically locked behind me.

I began to wheel the suitcase along behind me until I reached the elevator, and I stood in front of the metal sliding doors, fiddling around with the zip of my suitcase as I waited.

I wasn’t paying attention; I was in my own world, until I heard a soft sound.

I looked up in confusion, but the halls were empty. I bit my bottom lip unconsciously as I turned, looking back behind me, spotting no one.

I heard it again, and I jumped violently, turning to my right.

I hadn’t noticed it before, but there was actually an unlit hallway of sorts that went directly from my right several meters back. I squinted in confusion. It clearly led to the emergency exit, I could see the bright green illuminated exit sign further back, but I could also see that there was another door that would probably led to a small storage room that would be used for the cleaners to place the cleaning gear. It was very dark and I wondered why it wasn’t lit.

I took a step away from my suitcase and walked towards the dark passageway.

I peered into the dark, and saw a strange darkness on the floor, like a shadow.

“Hello?” I called, my voice shaking slightly.

I listened carefully, and flinched when I heard a soft, moan.

Someone was there. A girl was there. I could tell.

I took another step, and another, until I could feel the darkness surround me. I blinked, unable to see well, my eyes still not adjusted.

“Is someone there?” I repeated, fearing there was a hurt young woman lying on the floor. Maybe she had ended up there because she was drunk or something. I took another few hesitant steps towards what I assumed was where the person was lying.

I heard another moan, and the soft sound of laboured breathing. I felt fear flood into me. Maybe they were unconscious, on drugs or drunk. I walked all the way over to the crumpled figure, and leant down, placing my hand on the carpet to stop myself from kneeling over. I had bad balance, and it wasn’t helpful that it was dark and I could barely see.

“Are you alright?” I whispered, reaching over and touching the woman gently on the shoulder.

She didn’t respond, and I became increasingly worried. I lifted my hand from the carpet, and leant down onto my knees so that I would not topple over from balancing on the balls of my feet.

I froze, looking down at my palm.

It was dark, and sticky.

Covered in warm blood.

I began to shake. Oh god. Oh god. Blood, it was blood. I could tell, it was blood. She was hurt, maybe she was dying. I forgot all common sense and grabbed a hold of her shoulder and pulled, heaving her over so that I could see her face.

Everything froze, the world seemed to stop, time seemed to cease flowing for a moment and my whole body turned to ice.

“M-Mehi?” I whispered, my voice shaking.

She was a mess, my eyes still hadn’t adjusted to the dark, but I could tell something was terribly, terribly wrong with her.

Her arm was bent out at an odd angle, like her shoulder had been dislocated, her visible skin dark and bruised looking, her hair a mess, a soft, yet constant flow of blood flowing from a wound above her ear. She was pale and her face was blotchy, the skin darkening in several places.

“No. No no no. Mehi, no. Mehi, Mehi, please wake up, oh my god Mehi, please wake up” I began to beg, my voice trembling, repeating myself over and over.

But she didn’t wake up. She remained still, almost like she was sleeping.

It was like a bad dream, I was shaking and shivering, everything felt cold and I felt nauseous, my breathing ragged as I tried to coax Mehi back into consciousness.

I fumbled, pressing my fingers into her neck to see if there was a pulse, terrified that I wouldn’t find one. She was still breathing, and her heart was still beating, and I realized I needed to call for help. I smacked my hands onto my sides, realizing that my pockets were empty and that my mobile was actually packed away safely in my suitcase. I wanted to scream, maybe I could run from room to room, try and get help, but another, smaller part of me was telling me that I would be wasting precious time and that I had to do something sooner, or something irreversible would happen to Mehi. I straightened up and stepped over her, turning so that my back was facing the emergency exit. I began to search her pockets, looking for her mobile. I finally found it, and pressed the home button before sliding my finger across its sleek screen, nearly crying from all the strain. I quickly dialled the emergency number, and began to sob hysterically when I heard the operator’s voice from the other end.

“Hello, this is the emergency services. Would you like Police, Fire or Ambulance?”

“Ambulance, ambulance, ambulance” I choked, repeating myself unnecessarily in my haste.

For a fraction of a second there was silence before I heard another person.

“This is the ambulance service”

“I need help” I sobbed hysterically “Please come and help”

“Miss, please calm down. Take a few deep breaths and tell me what has happened and where you are so that I can dispatch an ambulance you come to help”

I began to do as I was told and opened my mouth to speak, when suddenly an arm wrapped around my waist, another clamping over my mouth. I let out a muffled shriek, which the operator heard. I could hear him on the other end, repeating himself, trying to get me to speak.

“Miss, Miss? Are you alright? Miss? Are you still there?”

The hand tightened on my mouth as I let out another shriek of fear, this one more audible than the last, before I was heaved upright, the mobile dropping from my hand and landing with a soft thud on the floor, the buzzing sound of the ambulance operators voice still on the other end.

I looked up desperately as I felt myself being dragged backwards towards the emergency exit door. I screamed into my attackers hand, clawing and biting, trying to get back to where Mehi lay, the light coming off the screen of her mobile that I had dropped illuminating a small portion of the passageway.

Mehi, no, Mehi, she would be all alone, no one would find her and she would die. I began to scream hysterically, but it was all muffled. My thoughts were a jumbled mess of panic, my natural instincts far too strong as I kicked and struggled desperately, like a wild animal that had just been captured. I continued to scream, garbled sentences, pleas for help, begging my capturer to stop, and of course just before the emergency exit door was shoved roughly shut, I screamed to Mehi, hoping desperately that a miracle would occur.

But it didn’t, and the door slammed shut with a sense of finality, my last view was of Mehi, lying like a crumpled rag doll on the floor, cold, lifeless, beaten and bloody, no one to help her. I continued to fight, but it was of little use, because almost as soon as the door shut and I had gotten my last glance of what lay inside, I felt a sharp stabbing sensation at my neck, like a pressure point being pressed, and my body fell limp. The world seemed to spin for a moment before my vision was swallowed up by the dark, and I remembered no more.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi!

Here is the next chapter! Yay!

This was a fun chapter to write~ I hope that its OK!! :/

Please tell me what you think and feel free to subscribe! ^^

 

Bye bye!