Mistake

This Love

 

~Eunhee~

 

 

I was in a daze. I had already spilt a mug of coffee and taken the wrong orders of several customers. I hadn’t slept well, and it was affecting the way I functioned.

“Hey, Eunhee, are you OK? You don’t seem so good today” I heard Mehi, one of the older waitresses ask me. I turned, and she was standing nearby, a worried look on her face.

I tried to smile, but only managed a tired facial twitch, which caused her to raise her eyebrow in suspicion.

“I’m fine, just tired” I said, trying to reassure her.

“You look stressed… and sick… are you sure you shouldn’t go home and take a break?” she asked, her expression concerned.

I shook my head. “I need to work”

She sighed unhappily. “Yeah… ok… but are you sure everything is alright? This is unusual for you. You’re usually very punctual and ready for just about anything. Did something happen?”

I thought back to the night before, and shuddered slightly before realizing I was over reacting again.

“I was just paranoid yesterday evening and thought someone was following me as I walked back home from the library…” I trailed off, and Mehi looked horrified, opening to speak before I cut her off. “But it was nothing. Like I said, I was just being overly paranoid. It was just a once off, and it just rattled me slightly and I wasn’t able to sleep well last night”

She stared at me for a few moments before sighing. “Alright… I get it.” She smiled softly at me but then turned serious again. “I’ll let you off for today and won’t make you go home, but promise me” she stared darkly at me before repeating herself to affirm it “PROMISE ME, that if anything suspicious like that happens again, you’ll come and tell me”

I nodded and smiled. “Thanks, I appreciate it. And I will, I promise”

She grinned and nodded to herself. “Alrighty then. Now, you’d better get back to work. How long till your shift is over?”

I looked up at the clock and the wall and counted the minutes till I got off work, slightly surprised that I had already been working for quite a while, in a total daze the whole time. “Ah, well, my shift finishes at 12, so another hour. I’ll just go and get a bite to eat for lunch once I’m done anyway…” I trailed of and shrugged slightly.

Mehi nodded and grabbed her notepad from her apron when she saw a couple enter the café and take a seat.

“OK, well, keep yourself alive till then and then you’d better get your lunch and go home and sleep or something. You look really out of it” she laughed slightly and began to walk towards the new customers to take their orders.

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks”

I heard her giggle and I turned towards the counter, picking up a tray that had a freshly made mug of coffee on it, ordered from table 13.

I picked it up carefully and walked towards table number 13, concentrating hard so I wouldn’t make a mistake and trip and make a fool out of myself.

Once I reached the table, I placed my tray down, making sure not to spill any. “Here’s your order” I said, smiling. I looked up and felt my eyes widen when I recognized the person I was looking at “Oh! Yongguk oppa!” I cried, slightly shocked.

“Hey” he smiled.

“I didn’t know you were here! You should have said hi earlier!” I frowned and he grinned.

“Sorry! I was reading and forgot” he chuckled, lifting a book of photography tips.

“Woah! Are you going to try photography!?” I said, my eyes widening.

He laughed. “Yeah, Well, I was thinking about it”

I grinned at him. “That’s great! You’ll have to show me some of the photos you take later” I smiled and he grinned.

“Sure”

I grinned and placed his coffee in front of him before lifting up my tray and hugging it to my body. “How have you been recently?” I asked.

“I’ve been pretty busy actually” he chuckled. “How about you?”

I huffed. “I’ve been studying. I’m still so behind in classes”

He frowned slightly. “That’s no good…”

I sighed and nodded. “I know”

He looked down at his book for a moment before smiling up at me. “At least you’ve been trying. It’s better than not doing anything, don’t you think?”

I laughed, somewhat cheered up. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Thanks”

He nodded. “Anytime” he looked up at the clock “Will you be leaving soon?”

I grinned. “Yeah, my shift is over in a bit less than an hour now” My gaze followed his up to the clock and I quickly calculated the time I had left to work.

He smiled. “When you’re done, would you like to get lunch with me? I still haven’t eaten yet, and I’ll assume you haven’t either. I’ll pay.”

I pretended to be horrified at the thought, and I saw his expression turn somewhat startled and confusion flashed through his eyes before I began to giggle.

“I’d love to, but you already treated me to dinner last time, so instead how about you come to my place and I’ll make some kimbap and we’ll eat lunch together. Sound good?” I asked, smiling.

He laughed. “You scared me for a moment there, I thought you were disgusted by the thought of eating with me!” he chuckled and grinned. “And that does sound like a good plan; I haven’t eaten kimbap in a long time, so it’ll be a treat”

“You have to remember that I’ll be the one making it, so it probably won’t be that good”

He snorted. “I’m sure it’ll be nice”

I huffed. “Alight then, but don’t get your hopes up…” I looked around quickly before refocusing on him. “Will you be alright sitting here for so long?”

He nodded. “Yeah I’ll be perfectly fine. I’ll drink my coffee and I have my book to keep me occupied too”

I smiled. “Alright then. I’ll go now, and I’ll come and grab you as soon as I’m done”

He nodded and I quickly went back to the counter to get the next lot of orders to take around. Every now and again I’d look up and Yongguk would still be silently sitting at his table, reading his book or taking a sip of his coffee. Time seemed to pass slowly, but at last I saw that the clock read 12. I hurriedly slipped off my apron and ran around the back to grab my gear.

“Eunhee!” I heard someone call, and I turned and saw Mehi behind me, a small scrap of paper in her hand.

“Here’s my mobile number, call me if you ever want help or feel like meeting up” she grinned at me and I couldn’t help but to smile back.

“Thank you!” I said happily, carefully folding the paper and slipping it into my pocket.

She grinned. “It’s the least I can do, now you’d better go, isn’t that guy at table 13 your date or something?”

I turned red and swatted her lightly. “Don’t be silly, we’re friends, that’s all”

She giggled. “Whatever. Hurry up and go on your date” she turned and waved before flouncing off, and I scowled slightly.

I shook myself from my train of thought and bounded over to where Yongguk still sat silently, immersed in his book.

“Yongguk oppa…” I called softly, feeling almost guilty for disturbing him.

He looked up and smiled. “We going?”

I grinned. “Yep. I should have all the ingredients to make kimbap at home, so we can go straight away”

He chuckled as he stood up; picking up his book and placing his mug back onto the saucer politely. “Alright then! Lets go”

 

The walk back to my apartment seemed to pass by quickly and consisted of easy going small talk. He seemed cheerful, and I felt as if it were contagious, and what seemed like only a few short minutes later, he was hanging up his coat and getting comfortably seated at my small kitchen table in my shabby apartment as I busied myself with the heater and began digging through my fridge and the cupboards as I searched for all the ingredients I would need to make lunch. 

After I had sorted everything out, I stood by the kitchen counter, a large chopping board in front of me as I carefully rolled kimbap and sliced them, placing them onto a plate.

Yongguk stood up and walked over, peering over my shoulder. “Looks good”

I snorted and lifted up the plate, making my way over to the table, Yongguk following me back over and sitting back down, a slight smile on his lips. I grabbed two plates and chopsticks for the both of us and carefully slid his plate and pair of chopsticks to him from across the table.

“Ok. I have no confidence in this kimbap, but I hope you enjoy!” I said, bowing my head slightly.

He laughed and picked up the nearest roll, and I watched anxiously as he ate it. After a moment of silence he looked up at me.

“It’s really good!” He said, his eyes widening somewhat.

I breathed a sigh of relief. “Are you sure?”

He nodded. “Yes! It’s really nice”

I laughed. “I’m relieved!” I grabbed a few and placed them onto my plate and began to eat, I saw Yongguk do the same and he looked up, smiling at me.

“This is really nice. I haven’t eaten with anyone for a while, so it feels kind of refreshing”

I laughed. “I’m glad. We’ll have to have meals together more often then, because I’m always eating alone too”

He chuckled. “We both seem unsocial”

“Well, I am a little… actually, it’s more like I’m too lazy to try and make plans with anyone”

He grinned. “I guess we’re the same then, I could, but I don’t. You know what I mean?”

I giggled. “Yep, I know exactly what you mean”

We continued to eat, every now and again having a small conversation, but all too soon, it was over. Yongguk sighed and stretched, before sitting up straight again.

“I’m full” he sighed contentedly and I smiled.

“Me too”

He pushed back his chair and stood up, and I followed suit.

“I’d better get going, I don’t want to intrude for too long” he smiled an eye-crinkle smile as I pouted.

“I’m glad we could eat together, I feel bad that you had to come into my messy apartment though, I should have cleaned up” I blushed slightly, looking at the carelessly tossed items of clothing that lay strewn around. “It’s a bad first impression”

He smiled. “Nah, its fine. Makes it seem cosy, unlike my place”

I huffed. “This is still your first time here though, I feel bad”

He waved it off as we walked slowly down the narrow corridor to my front entrance. “I like it” He suddenly grinned. “And now that I know where you live, I’ll invite myself over for nice meals all the time”

I burst into laughter. “Sure then, but don’t expect anything too amazing when it comes to food, I’m not even that good of a cook”

He sat down at the front entrance step, carefully tying the laces of his shoes before standing up and putting a hand on the handle, smiling sincerely at me.

“Thank you for the meal, it was really yum” he smiled cutely and I had to stop myself from aw-ing.

“I should thank you for coming over and putting up with me” I giggled.

He snorted. “Putting up with you… you make yourself sound all awful or something…” he trailed off before smiling. “Well, I’d better get back to my place; let’s meet up again soon, okay?”

I nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, for sure! Just come by the café whenever you want!”

He opened the door and slipped out. “Bye!” he called before pulling the door shut fully, a small gust of cooler air reaching me from the hallway outside.

I smiled and walked back into the warmer area of my apartment where the heaters actually worked properly, happily thinking of the next time we would meet, unaware of the terrible mistake I had just made.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi!

I'm not too sure about this chapter :/ I'm stalling and being a indecisive piece of poop right now, but I do know what I'll be doing in the next few chapters! ^^

I hope you enjoy and please tell me what you think! 

 

Until next time~!