Chapter 4

Stupid Liar Over Here

I still remember how I met him on my mom’s date with dad. It was a sunny day and I was told I would be going to the zoo. I was really excited as I helped my mom the whole morning making kimbap. I already knew my mom was seeing someone. I guess it was because I matured faster as an only child, but I understood her decision.

“Siyeon, this is Seunghyun.” I smiled when I saw a boy my age. He seemed to shy away a little from my happy face but that just made me even happier.

“…Hello.” He said first.

“Hello!” I replied right back. I remembered what my mom said to me back at home. You are the same age as Seunghyun, but a few months older. That means I’m going to be his older sister!
I was really happy at that time… Thinking that I was getting a brother…

I knew I had to take the lead. It was what older siblings do, right? “Let’s go see penguins!”

“Ok…”

“Hold my hand so I won’t lose you!” And I tried really hard to be an elder sister on that day.

My first impression was that he was a brightly smiling kid. We met a few times and played together… And after a few years, when our parents decided to marry, we met again as family. Just that, he didn’t look like that Seunghyun I always I played with. He became taller than me but what was really different was his attitude. He didn’t look at me or anyone for that matter, he just appeared gloomy. It caught me off guard.

“Your name is Seunghyun, right?”

“…”

Maybe, it was his puberty. He had become a completely different person. When he entered middle school, his true quality was awoken. He slept with girls and dumped them soon after. He was juggling with them! But if I exclude his girl problems, overall, he is an okay guy.


“Alright-”

“Huh?” Jenny looked up from her empty cup.

“Since it came this far, I plan to use this new identity to purify Seunghyun’s relationship!”

Jenny stared at me dully. “What?”

“If he is really serious about Silla, he would get rid of all those girls, wouldn’t he? Don’t you think that would be good for him, Jenny?”

She continued to look expressionless. “Oh~ you are really thinking like his sister. Not bad, I suppose. It’s no fun to see a family member keep causing troubles.”

Yes, this is a great idea! “Yes!” But then, if I was to tell Seunghyun to do that… I’d have to bring up the issue first…

-

“Phew.” I wiped my forehead. It always gets hot in the karaoke room when you sing with all your strength. I heard loud clapping not too far away from me. I looked at him. “Only I’ve been singing. Why don’t you sing?”

“I sing for a living. I prefer listening to other people’s voices than mine. It’s entertaining to listen to you sing though.”

I looked at him a bit bewildered. “… If I knew that, I wouldn’t have come here. Let’s take a break.” As I picked up a cracker to nibble on it, I glanced at him. “… You know, I’ve been wondering.”

“Huh?”

“What do you think about me, Seunghyun?” He stared at me seriously. If… he answers that I’m just a friend, my plan won’t work… if I misunderstood his hospitality... I pictured what he would say. What are you thinking? If he questioned me like that, this could turn out to be quite awkward.

“… If I say I like you…, would you dislike me?”

“Uh…” He’s so straightforward! I never knew his eyes could be so smoldering. “Y-yeah?” I kind of expected that reply, but the impact of actually listening to it is really strong. He’s gruff even when he’s saying stuff like this… I became so flustered; I could feel my face turning red. I couldn’t think of anything to say while his eyes were looking at me. His eyes… AAAAAAAAH! What now?! What do I do from here?! I’ve never had a proper relationship, so I’m actually feeling bothered by this! And I started this…

“… No?” I heard him ask.

“Huh? I- I- I don’t di- dislike you!”

“If… I suggest that we enter a relationship, would you say yes? Shall we?”

No way! No, wait… Wait… “Uh… I have a feeling that you’re a playboy…” I began to get confident from my chose of words. This is where it should be going. “And I dislike such guys.” I finished my sentence haughtily.

“…” He thought about it for a moment. “I don’t play around that much.”

You think I’d fall for that?! I know everything about your deeds… How your second brain has been going all over every girls in middle, high, and even university! “No, no, no, I bet that you have a few girls just to have fun with. And I really hate that kind of guys.”

He listened to my every word. “What if I drop them?”

He doesn’t deny anymore… Well, I guess he is not the kind who lies. “Drop them, huh… How many do you have anyways?” I pretended to be upset so it was more believable.

“Uh…” He began to count his fingers, “Small enough to be able to count with 10 fingers.”

Which means he has 10 girls to fool around with…? Way more than I initially expected… He is not the kind of man I would want for romance even if he was not my stepbrother. “Are you really going to drop them? Even if I’m not going out with you in the end, you should. It’s just bad.”

“Ok.”

That was easy but since he has so many… I bet he will have a hard time shaking them off. Even though I told him to do so… it may not be possible for him to drop them all…