It's Monday

The Serpent's Smile

Gary heard the announcement over the radio but ignored it.  He was trailing the masked man.  If he could catch him, maybe they could get more information.  Gary muted his mike.  He didn't want any distractions.  

Gary watched as the masked man slipped into a building.  After allowing a few seconds to pass, Gary followed.  The gate was open.  Gary noticed the gate was rusty and that the hinges were broken.  So the man wasn't staying here.  He was breaking in.  Gary walked though the outdoor patio and quietly entered the inside of the building.  There were doors everywhere.  It was an apartment complex after all.   Gary quiety crept through the halls until he heard voices.  Tiptoing closer so as to not make any noise, Gary strained his ears to listen.  

*man's voice* They got the ball.  

*static voice from a radio*  No matter.  We have everything we need right now.  The next step is to...

A door opened somewhere and Gary heard footsteps approaching.  He had to hide now lest his identity be compromised.  When he was sure it was safe, he snuck back outside. There were too many people inside, too many possible witnesses.  He needed a new plan.  He put on sunglasses and a hat and bought a newspaper to alter his appearance.  Then he sat on a bench, facing the front gate.  If the masked man left, he would follow him.  

After a few minutes, a tall man walked out.  Gary immediately realized there was a flaw in his plan.  The masked man could have changed his appearance.  He probably wasn't wearing a mask anymore.  How would Gary know who to follow.  In desperation, Gary ran after the man and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, do you have the time?" Gary asked the man.  The man stared at Gary.  Gary was suddenly very aware of the watch on his left wrist.  "Don't you have a watch?" the man said, quizically.  This was bad.  Time to use some of his secret agent skills.  "Oh this thing?" Gary waved his wrist, "it's broken.  I don't know why I wear it.  Habit I guess." Gary lied.  That wasn't so bad he thought.  The man was still looking at him and Gary's confidence vanished.  Uh Oh...why is he looking at me like that.  HE KNOWS ****  After what seemed like hours, the man pulled a phone out of his pocket.  "It's 3:15" he said, showing Gary the time.  "Thank you thank you" Gary said walking off.  You dope.  You were walking the other way when you asked him for the time.  Now you're going back the way you came.  HE KNOWS.  HE'LL SUSPECT.  DON'T TURN AROUND!!!!!  HE'LL SEE!!!!

Gary walked about half a block before turning around.  It was definitely him.  That's the voice I heard.  I'm sure.  Gary let the man develop more of a lead so he would be harder to spot then started following.  

Gary followed the man all the way into the Marina Bay district.  The man walked into a hotel and after a moment, Gary followed.  Looking around, he didn't see the man anywhere so he circled the lobby.  He spotted the man in the hotel bar and ambled over.  The man was sitting alone at the end of the bar.  Gary grabbed a table where he had a view of the bar but at an angle so he couldn't be spotted unless the man turned his head.  Ordering a drink, Gary settled in to wait.  What are you going to do now he thought.

Unbeknownst to Gary, he was being watched as well.  The other spy pulled out a phone.   *text message* You've been followed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gary was bored.  The man had been sitting at the bar for over an hour.  He had ordered a drink and just sat there.  His phone was on the bar and nobody had called.  He didn't look like he was sending any signals to anybody.  Gary was getting impatient and hungry.  Finally, the man moved.  He grabbed his phone and paid his tab then walked out.  Gary tried to hurry after him but clumsily bumped into a woman, causing her to spill her drink all over him.  

"Oh I'm sorry, please excuse..." Gary's voice trailed off as he got a good look at the woman.  She was incredibly beautiful.  Her brown hair framed her face perfectly.  She had on bright red lipstick and a matching clutch.  Her body was covered by a sleek black dress and her legs were accentuated by killer heels. She was gorgeous.  "me" Gary eaked out.  She's so pretty

"Oh no" the woman said.  She grabbed a napkin and started dabbing at Gary's wet shirt.  "I'm so sorry.  Here, let me help with that."

Her touch was flustering Gary.  He needed to get out and follow the man but he really wanted to talk with the woman.  "Ah no. Really, it's okay" he said, grabbing her wrist to stop her from cleaning his shirt.  The physical contact sent lightning bolts to his brain.  His face flushed red and he quickly let go.  "I have to go..." he said, trying to extricate himself. 

"But I feel terrible" said the woman, pouting.  She looks so pretty when she's upset thought Gary.  "Can't you stay and let me buy you a drink to make up for it?"

Gary was going nuts.  He REALLY wanted to stay now.  But he had a job to do.  He had to follow that man.  He also had to get away from this woman because she was driving him absolutely crazy.  "Ah no, sorry.  I have to go.  I'm meeting a person.  A friend.  A guy I know."  What is wrong with you.  Why are you such a clutz.  Stop talking.  You're making it worse  "So yeah, I have to go.  Now.  Meeting."  Gary gestured with his hand, pointing over his shoulder towards the exit.  Jeez, she's so pretty I can't talk straight.  His face flushed completely red, Gary awkwardly made his way out of the bar.  He was so flustered, he couldn't breathe.  

Once outside the hotel, Gary stopped just to breathe.  He gulped down as much of the fresh, cool air as he could.  Looking around, there was no sign of the tall man.  He'd lost him.  "Aish Kang Gary why are you so stupid" he moaned.  This was why he wasn't an elite agent like Jae Suk or Jong Kook.  Though Gary had 8 years of experience as an agent, he was still a level below the top secret agents.  He had shown lots of promise when he started but had never managed to get up to elite status.  Now, he'd lost the man and he'd lost the girl.  Jong Kook or Jae Suk would have never let that stop them.  Well, Jong Kook might have but Jae Suk definitely would have stayed focused.  It was a bad day for Kang Gary.  And it's only Monday he thought to himself sadly.  He grabbed a cab and headed for the airport.  It would be a long week having to explain his failure.