Running Ball

The Serpent's Smile

Jae Suk chased after the masked man.  He needed that briefcase.  Suddenly, the alley he'd been running in opened up to reveal a giant public square.  There were so many people milling around that he couldn't see the masked man anymore.  No problem.  As a highly trained secret agent, Jae Suk was used to such hunts.  He'd trust his instincts to find the masked man.  His eyes circled the surroundings, looking for a hint.  THERE!  A woman glanced down, not meeting his gaze.  That usually meant she was nervous, or hiding something.  It could be nothing, but Jae Suk had a hunch.  As he approached her, he noticed her give a nervous glance down at the stall she was standing next to.  Before he could make a move, the masked man sprang up from underneath the stall.  The table and all the little jewelery and trinkets flew towards Jae Suk's face, stopping him in his tracks momentarily.  The masked man took the opportunity to sprint away but Jae Suk was right behind him.  "He's heading north" he said into the mike attatched surreptitiously to his jacket.  There was no reply but Jae Suk wasn't worried.  Jong Kook rarely wasted time replying to information, prefering to strike quickly.  

Sure enough, Jae Suk heard the low rumble of a motorcycle engine.  Glancing left, he saw a rider crouched low with a dark, mirrored visor shielding his face.  The rider gave Jae Suk a thumbs up.  It was Jong Kook.  

Jong Kook raced down the alley.  Jae Suk was chasing the mark from behind, now all he needed to do was get in front.  Basic surrounding tactics.  He revved the bike higher.  "Faster" he thought.  But as he sped down the alley, he saw something that threw a major wrench in his plans.  There were two little boys, playing with a ball. He couldn't get past them safely on the bike.  "****" he cursed, skidding the bike sideways to stop faster.  He stopped shy of the boys by about half a foot.  "That was close" he thought.  There was complete silence as everyone around was still in shock.  He revved the bike up again and popped a wheelie in order to make use of some plywood boards leaning against a wall.  He used it as a makeshift ramp and jumped the bike onto the roof of the building. From there, he could see down into the next alley, where Jae Suk was still chasing after the masked man.  Jong Kook took a second to orient himself and picked at spot to intercept them.  

Jae Suk was getting tired.  "What's taking him so long" he thought.  The good thing was that masked man appeared to have used up his stamina too.  They were both getting tired.  "What's going on?" came a voice through his earpiece.  It was Suk Jin.  "I'm in pursuit" Jae Suk panted into the mike.  "Don't lose that briefcase" Sukjin said.  Jae Suk ignored him.  Suk Jin had a knack for saying the obvious and not helping.  

The masked man jumped onto a fruit stand and kicked a box of oranges over.  Jae Suk was slowed as he tried to avoid the rolling fruit.  "Why do they always do that?" he thought to himself.  He vaulted over the same fruit stand and continued the chase.  

A shadow flickered over Jae Suk.  He glanced up and was surprised to see Jong Kook riding over the building roofs.  "That crazy son of a gun" thought Jae Suk.  He couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face.  It was funny.  It wasn't so funny a second later when Jae Suk wound up coughing and momentarily winded.  He couldn't really laugh and run hard at the same time.  Refocusing on the task at hand, he chased on.   

Jong Kook saw the opening he needed.  He jumped off the building and bounced the bike on a shop awning.  Actually, the bike didn't bounce, but just ripped through.  But it slowed him enough that he was able to land safely just in front of the masked man.  The masked man had no choice--he was running too fast-- to try to do anything else except hurdle over Jong Kook.  He tried, but Jong Kook was expecting that. He reached up and managed to grab the masked man's foot as he flew by, bringing him down in a crash landing.  Both Jong Kook and the masked man were on the ground winded.  Jong Kook managed to get to his feet first.  He and the masked man exchanged eye contact (except neither could see the other's eyes given the motorcycle visor and the mask) and then looked at the briefcase a few feet away.  The masked man had enough.  He left the briefcase and ran away.  Jong Kook let him go.  The briefcase was the priority.  There were other agents who would be trying to get the masked man.  Right now though, he had to get the briefcase.  

By this time, Jae Suk had finally caught up.  He watched as the masked man disappeared around a corner before turning his attention to the briefcase.  "Did you get it?" he asked Jong Kook.  "Let's see" Jong Kook flipped open the locks on the case and opened it up.  Inside was a large silver ball with a golden running man on it.  A Running Ball.  "We got the ball" Jong Kook said into his mike.