Regroup

The Serpent's Smile

They reconvened at SBS for a debriefing.

Jae Suk:  The warehouse is a dead end.  They've abandoned it.

Suk Jin:  How long?

Jong Kook:  Maybe a couple hours.  It can't have been that long.  We recovered a lot of equipment.  It's being sent to the lab right now.  They wouldn't have left so much if they weren't in a hurry.

Suk Jin:  Ok I'll get on it as soon as we're done here.  What about you, Gary?

Gary:  I lost Joong Ki.  But I don't think he knows anything useful.  

Jong Kook:  Yah how could you lose him?!  

Gary:  It just happened hyung!

Jae Suk:  Ok.  Jong Kook let it go.  What's done is done.  If he doesn't know anything then it doesn't really matter. 

Jong Kook:  Ay hyung!

Suk Jin:  Let it go already.  Mistakes happen.  Stuff happens.  He feels bad about it; you don't have to keep harping on it.  Let it go.  

Jong Kook:  alright alright.

While they talked and argued, Gary stepped out to take a breather.  He knew he'd messed up but Jong Kook was such a perfectionist.  He just couldn't let it go. It was tiring working with him sometimes.  Walking down the hall to clear his mind, Gary reached into his pocket to check his phone out of habit.  I wonder if Ji Hyo is doing anything...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ji Hyo was sleeping when her phone started buzzing.  Groggy, she picked herself up off Gwang Soo and reached into her purse for her phone.  Grabbing around, she finally found it and saw a message from Gary.  

"Pst" she whispered, poking a sleeping Haha.  When he woke up, she showed him the message.  "What do you want me to do next?" she asked.  Haha grinned.  Things were starting to look up again.  He whispered to Ji Hyo, "tell him that you're free tonight and ask if he wants to get dinner."  JI Hyo tapped away at her phone.  "Done."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the next stage of the plan, they were going to need a base of operations.  The van would do as a temporary solution but Haha knew it was fast becoming  obsolete.  Not to mention cramped.  After dropping Ji Hyo off, he told Gwang Soo to drive around for a few hours and wait for his call.  Haha would case the neighborhood for a suitable base.  His first instinct had been to let Gwang Soo do this but he was bothered by the fact that their first base had been discovered so quickly.  Given the timing, it was possible they'd been following him but Ji Hyo's assessment of Gwang Soo not being trustworthy bothered him.  There would be no screw ups this time.  Haha would be extra careful to make sure he was not being followed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ji Hyo waited for Gary in front of a cafe near SBS headquarters.  She had chosen that location because of its proximity to SBS headquarters.  There was a possibility of finding other sources of information besides Gary.  From where she was standing, she had a clear view of the nondescript building that housed SBS.  The drive was gated and she couldn't see past the gates but she was sure that agents and staff frequented the cafe.  

Gary meanwhile could not catch a break.  When he returned to the meeting, he had to explain how Joong Ki had managed to pull a gun on him first.  When he explained the part about the parking lot, Jong Kook had audibly groaned.  "If they go into a parking lot that means you've been spotted" he lectured.  "They're either trying to lose you or trying to go somewhere where there won't be a witness."  Jae Suk and Suk Jin agreed.  "If you've been following them, you should know where his car is.  He obviously wasn't going to pick up a car."  They made Gary go to the training center and practice some more.  Gary really didn't want to.  He was meeting Ji Hyo and he didn't want to be sweaty and gross but he had no choice.  But after finishing, it got worse.  Jong Kook had stayed behind to teach him some more.  While Gary appreciated the help, this was not what he had had in mind for the evening.  "Hyung, can't we do this some other time?" he asked to no avail.  

"I'm sorry.  Something came up at work.  I won't be able to make it.  I'll make it up to you, I promise."

Ji Hyo sighed and put away her phone.  All this for nothing.  She decided to finish her coffee, then leave.  Why waste good coffee right?  She was just about to get up and leave when Gary walked in to the cafe with another man.  A man she hadn't seen in years.  Kim Jong Kook.