Water Pistols

The Serpent's Smile

Gary was in Daejeon.  He was trying to find Song Joong Ki to get information about Gwang Soo.  

He got a text.  From Ji Hyo.  Gary's heart litterally skipped a beat.  Oppa I miss you.  Gary was so happy, he forgot everything else.  The real world?  It could be saved another day.  Let someone else do it.  Right now, nothing was going to keep Gary from savoring this moment.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the outskirts of Seoul, Ji Hyo watched her phone, nervous.  She, Haha and Gwang Soo were still packed in their van.  The loss of the warehouse was inconvenient but it had provided some benefits.  Namely, forced interaction between the three.  At first it had been silent, awkward, and just uncomfortable, but after a while they had gotten to know each other a little bit better.  Actually, they had gotten to know Gwang Soo a lot better.  She still didn't know much about Haha.  But she was glad he was around.  Things had seemed bleak when their base was discovered but Haha already had a contingency plan.  Now, Ji Hyo had to lure Gary.  Except she had sent a text an hour ago.  And Gary had not replied.  Ji Hyo was nervous.  Maybe she had been overconfident in herself.  Maybe Gary just wasn't as into her as she had thought.  The lack of reply was really messing with her head.  To make matters worse, she felt like she was letting the team down.  Since she had reconsidered her opinion of Haha, she really wanted to do well.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gary had been texting a response when he saw Joong Ki.  He quickly tried to send the mostly complete message, but was unsuccessful--it was saved as a draft.  But Gary didn't notice.  He quickly followed Joong Ki, staying back, trying to remain undetected.  He followed Joong Ki past several blocks until he lost him in a parking lot.  

Joong Ki was hiding nearby.  He'd seen Gary following him and now it was time to turn the tables.  

Gary walked past a car, when he felt something behind him.  He whirled around and saw Joong Ki standing there, calm as a cucumber.  Instantly, Gary knew he'd been set up.  Joong Ki had only exposed himself because he believed he had the upper hand.  Joong Ki pulled out a water pistol and aimed at Gary.  Not good.

"What do you want Kang Gary?" said Joong Ki, voice quiet but dripping with venom.  

Gary gulped.  He was nervous.  He knew that Joong Ki would be able to tell if he lied.  He didn't really have any other options.  So he confessed.

"I'm looking for Lee Gwang Soo" said Gary.

The name surprised Joong Ki.  Gwang Soo was small fry compared to him.  Yet here was Gary asking about Gwang Soo.  Joong Ki burned with shame.  They're interested in Gwang Soo, not me?!?!   They'll regret that.  "What do you want to know?"

Gary tried to buy more time so he could figure a way out of this predicament.  "So you do know him?"  When Joong Ki didn't answer, Gary hurried to add, "He tried to steal a Running Ball."

Now Joong Ki was confused.  A Running Ball was well out of the reach of a petty criminal like Gwang Soo.  There was no way he'd be able to do that.  Joong Ki had heard the rumors.  He knew there was at least some truth to what Gary was saying.  But he still couldn't believe it.  Gwang Soo was a clutz.  Nobody in their right mind would use Gwang Soo to steal Running Balls, especially when Joong Ki was available.  His shooting arm trembled in rage.  Gary had to be lying.  

Gary could tell that Joong Ki was on edge.  If there was a problem with Joong Ki, it was that he often overestimated his own ability.  Joong Ki and Gwang Soo had a sort of rivalry going on and both believed they were better than the other.  Gary fed him another line.  "There's a manhunt going on for him.  We're gonna find him eventually.  You should come clean now before it's too late."

Joong Ki took offense to that last statement.  He wants me to come clean?????  I'm the one with the gun!  I'm in control here.  

In his rage, Joong Ki lowered the gun and took a few threatening steps towards Gary.  But as soon as the gun came down, Gary saw his opportunity and sprang at Joong Ki.  They collided and a fight for control of the gun ensued.  Joong Ki was capable, but Gary had the strength of desperation on his side. As he started to win control of the gun, Joong Ki knew he had screwed up.  So he gave up on the gun and looked for an opening to escape.  Gary had both hands clasping the gun so Jong Ki clocked him right in the face and ran.  Gary was knocked back and saw Joong Ki running.  He took aim at his back with the water pistol...but he couldn't pull the trigger.  There would be another day.  Exhausted, he trudged back to his car.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been two hours and Gary had still not responded.  Haha called it quits, saying "He wont get back to you today."

Ji Hyo's face burned with embarrassment.  She had been so sure he would reply.  He likes me.  I know it.  But truthfully, her self confidence was shaking because of his lack of reply.  To make matters worse, she had shown weakness to Gwang Soo, who was now talking about how Ji Hyo was ruining everything.  "SHUT UP!" she yelled at him.  "HE'LL CALL ME BACK!"  Her outburst was enough to scare Gwang Soo into silence.  Haha didn't show any sign of emotion, but just calmly started the van and drove off.  That was a strong reaction from someone who said they were just playing with a guy.