Thunderstorms & soup

Don`t Break My Heart Love

A/N: First of all thank you soo much for all the comments and subscribers, I`m really happy that you enjoy my story. Secondly I`m very sorry for not updating in a VERY long time, I had some troubles with school and then I went to Japan and I didn`t seem to have the time to sit down and continue writing. But now I finally did and I`m hoping to have chapter 4 out before the end of the week so I`ll do my best witht that. 

lastly I`m going to answer a question that Smileyblu had about whether the main character will end up with all of exo(K at least) or not and honeslty, I don`t know. I haven`t actually thought that far so I haven`t really decided yet, I was going to see how the story turned out and then decided from there so right now I`m still open for suggestions if you readers would like to give your opinion on the matter. ^^ So tell me what you think, should she end up with them all, just a few more or only one of them?  

that`s it, thank you for your support and I hope you enjoy this chapter. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

You weren`t sure why but when you slowly opened up your eyes you were, to your slight confusion, greeted with the familiar setting of the living room rather than that of your bedroom.  It made you scrunch your nose in confusion at first before you recalled last night’s events. After Suho and the others had left to sleep in the room you`d provided for them you had taken it upon yourself to watch over their friend, Kai, for the night, just in case something were to happen.  Upon remembering the young boy your eyes automatically drifted towards the sofa were you knew he`d be lying, however you were taken by surprise for the second time that morning when your eyes met with a pair of burningly intense yellow ones.

A small yelp escaped your mouth as you pulled the blanket tighter around your body for a brief moment. Kai was sitting up with his eyes trained on yours while his mouth formed a thin line. His eyes were mesmerizing and they seemed to speak of safety and comfort the more you gazed into them. You found yourself thinking that if you could stare into the depths of those yellow eyes for all eternity you would feel safe and protected, like nothing bad could ever harm you. The flash of lightning followed by the roaring thunder was what forced you to look away.

You cleared your throat and relaxed enough to let the covers slide off your shoulders; however you could not bring yourself to speak first so instead you remained silent and waited for him to take the initiative.  But Kai seemed to be struggling and his brow scrunched up in concentration as he kept looking at you.

Minutes passed without either of you speaking and it finally got to the point where you could not stand it anymore. So you decided to speak first.
“Good morning.” You started hesitantly and Kais breath seemed to briefly get caught in his throat after you spoke. ”Umm..are you feeling better?” You remained hesitant as you rose to your feet, truth be told you really wanted to ask him about his eyes rather than his well-being but you figured it would be bad manners to pry on his personal details so much when you`d only just met him.

So instead you approached Kai with an outstretched arm, checking his temperature seemed like a better idea considering the condition he had been in last night. Kai nodded slowly while he kept his eyes on you and your every move, it still made you uncomfortable but you tried your best to shrug it off. When you finally reached him and touched his forehead with the palm of your hand he abruptly moved his gaze from you and stared down at his hands, his brow was still scrunched up as if he was in deep thought.

“You don`t seem to have a fever anymore.” You said as you moved your hand from his head.” Too be honest you don`t really look like you`ve been sick at all.” Your own brow now scrunched up in confusion as you pondered your own statement, it was most peculiar how he looked perfectly fine right now considering the state he`d been in last night, well minus the odd behavior he currently displayed.  Kai nodded his head once again before he cleared his throat.

“T-Thank you.” His voice was hoarse and deep, a side effect from not talking for so long you assumed, and as the words left his lips he flashed you a soft smile. So soft in fact that you would have missed it had you not been focusing all your attention on him. He seemed to relax as well as soon as he had spoken, like a heavy burden had just been lifted off of his shoulders. You nodded to him before you started to make your way towards the kitchen.

“I`ll make you something to eat.” You mumbled before you left. 

When you entered the kitchen you tried to puzzle the recent events together, you were confused to say the least. These boys that had practically invaded your home in the middle of the night were strange.  To begin with what were they doing in these parts of the forest so late at night? And how had their friend gotten so sick? And how in the world was he perfectly fine right now? These were just some of the questions that occupied your mind as you stirred the pot containing the vegetable soup you`d decided to make for breakfast. You hadn`t been sure what he would like to eat but one thing your mother always made for you when you were or had been sick was soup, so you`d decided that that was a safe bet for the moment. 

You heaved a sigh and gazed out the window, it was still raining heavily and from time to time a flash of lightning would light up the sky, closely followed by the mighty thunder. You`d always enjoyed thunderstorms; they gave you an excuse to stay inside and work on your stories without feeling guilty for not going outside in the nice weather. No, during thunderstorms you were supposed to stay inside, everyone did, and no one ever questioned you for it. Today though you didn`t feel the same joy over this thunderstorm, today`s thunderstorm meant you couldn`t very well kick out your unexpected guests and tell them to go find a hotel or something in town since the town was in fact way too far away for them to make it on foot without risking being hit by lightning or something else.

Today’s thunderstorm meant you were stuck for at least one more day with these strangers that you did not trust just yet. When the soup was ready you poured it into a bowl and headed towards the living room again.

You were so deep in thought when you entered the living room that you almost dropped the tray with the soup at the sound of Kais voice.

“Are you alright?” He seemed genuinely concerned and for a moment you were confused as to what had brought that question up, but then you realized that you must have scrunched up your brow as you were thinking, a bad habit you`d picked up from your father according to your mother.

“I`m fine, just…thinking about some things.”  You offered him a weak smile as you sat down beside him on the couch and placed the tray on the table in front of him.  The moment you`d entered the room Kai had once again focused his gaze on you and even now as you placed food in front of him he wouldn`t look away. You shifted uncomfortably in your seat and glanced towards the stairs that led to the second floor.  You wondered how long the rest of them would sleep, you didn`t really feel too comfortable being alone with just Kai. However a swift glance at the clock before you turned your attention back to Kai told you it was still only 07:00 in the morning. In other words it was still early, and taking into account how weary the five boys had looked last night you figured they`d sleep at least until  10:00 which left you with another three hours alone with Kai.

“Please eat.” You offered as you gestured towards the bowl of soup. Kai nodded wordlessly as he seemingly unwillingly tore his eyes away from you and focused his attention on the soup. As he grabbed the spoon and leaned over to eat he shifted slightly in his seat so that he scooted slightly closer to you, something you failed to notice since you were too preoccupied with observing his reaction to your cooking. The frown on his face however was not what you had expected, you knew you weren`t that bad of a cook so what was wrong.

“Is it bad? Too much salt? “  You questioned as you too leaned over to take a closer look at the soup, it looked fine and you`d even tasted it yourself before serving it, there was nothing wrong with it as far as you could tell. Kai clicked his tongue and smacked his lips shut as he leaned back in his seat.

“No it`s not bad…” thestill eminent frown on his face however, betrayed his words and you crossed your arms disapprovingly.

“Liar, tell me what`s wrong with it.”  Kai hesitated as he glanced from you to the soup and back again.

“I-I don`t really like vegetables.” His gaze shifted from you and for a moment he returned to his previously tense posture with his lips forming a tight thin line and his brows anxiously furrowed. You couldn`t help but soften slightly seeing him so troubled over something so small. However just as you were about to tell him you`d make him something else he spoke up first.

“But I`ll eat it! Since you made it for me, I`ll eat it” He nodded approvingly to himself as he reached for the spoon with a determined look upon himself.  Even though you were touched by his determination to finish eating something he honestly didn`t like you still didn`t feel comfortable with the thought of him forcing himself.

“No, I`ll make you something else. “ You said as you took the spoon from his grasp and stood up with the tray in hand.” If there`s one thing my mother taught me it`s not to force people to do things they don`t want to do, and you...” You motioned towards Kai with the whole tray in hand. ”..don`t really want to eat this soup so I`ll make you something else.”  And with that you returned to the kitchen with Kai not far behind.

After discarding the soup and placing the dirty bowl in the sink you turned towards Kai who was standing next to the kitchen table.

“What do you want to eat?” You asked, slightly worried he would ask you to make something that required above average cooking skills to make.  Kai blinked at you and tilted his head slightly.

“What can you make?”

“Oh, umm, well” You began and looked around the kitchen for a bit. ”Hot sandwiches or waffles maybe.” You replied with yet another weak smile, it wasn`t exactly an impressive list of options. But Kai only nodded.

“Sounds good.” 

“Which one?”

“Both.”  Now it was your turn to tilt your head as you looked at him with confusion.

“Both?” you questioned, hot sandwiches and waffles didn`t exactly go well together as far as you knew, then again you`d never tried to eat both at the same time.

“Yes, both. I`m starving.” Kai confirmed and put a hand on his stomach, he definitely seemed more confident but there was still something about the way his shoulders tensed up and his breath seemed to get caught every time you spoke that worried you.  But you decided to ignore it and just get started on the breakfast. You glanced once at the clock on the microwave before you got started, 07:15, it was still way too early in your opinion to eat waffles and hot sandwiches but if that was what he wanted, that was what you were going to make for him. 

As you began to work in the kitchen Kai sat down on one of the chairs at the kitchen island and observed. Even though he looked calm and collected on the outside, he was struggling on the inside not to break down right then and there and it took every ounce of will power he had not to lose control.  Just like his friends he knew what was wrong with him and he knew how to fix it, but he couldn`t.  So at the moment his insides were still burning and the pounding in his chest wouldn`t stop. He clutched the fabric of his shirt and closed his eyes as he pushed yet another growl back down his throat, more than anything he needed his friends to wake up and get to him,  he wasn`t sure how much longer he would be able to hold on otherwise. He thought it would become more bearable if he got closer to the source of his pain but it only worsened. The only time it seemed to let up was when he received some sort of response from it.  

“It”, that was wrong, it wasn`t an “it” that caused his pain, it was a human, a person.

Kai slowly opened his eyes and fixated them on you. 

The source to his pain and suffering was you