XVI

Chasing Summer

 

He sat cross legged in his office, a cup of untouched coffee on his table.

 

He slouched back into his office chair, the boss chair as Summer liked to call it, and folded his hands together, resting them on his stomach.

 

Dongwoon let out a puff of air and thought. His brows furrowed. "This is the right thing to do, the right thing. It's the only thing that's going to let you sleep at night." He kept on telling himself. But he felt as though a weight were dropped on his heart. Seeing her always made his heart pound, but recently, it wasn't because of the feeling of being in love. But he did love her, it was just that doubt started clouding his mind. After all, he did have a conscience. 

 

Marriage is a big thing, it's not a joke. If he gets married now, he'd never want to marry again in the future. He wanted this to work. It had to work. For both of them.

 

 

They drove to the outskirts of town, the boundary between city life and country. They were parked by the curb of the freeway and there was nothing before them but the mountains and the road. She liked it.

 

They were in the in-between, away from the lives they lead, but not too far that they'd forget. And that was just how she felt, readying herself from the big leap to Dongwoon, but not quite forgetting the past she shared with Jiyong. No, she'd never forget Jiyong. So how could she live with herself, with Dongwoon now a part of her life? Was she deluding herself into thinking that she cared about Dongwoon? No. Was it all an act? No, not all of it. --She did love him, but not like she loved Ji, she realized. How could she love anyone like she loved Ji? 

 

Both she and Dongwoon were there, seated on the hood of his SUV, backs against the windshield. And this was nice, he thought, that they were able to spend time like this. The silence was comforting that it seemed as though they were alone, but not terrifying because they knew they were right by each other. Their thoughts couldn't eat them up alive, not like this.

 

He was bothered by something, she knew. But she didn't have the courage to ask him what. She looked up at the sky, the moon was full. 

 

He was staring blankly before him, at what seemed like everything and then nothing at the same time. He broke the silence.

 

"So I heard Jiyong resigned," was all he said at first.

 

"He did," she replied absentmindedly.

 

"What did you tell him?" He asked, a bit eager to find out.

 

"Nothing, really." She said in the same state of mind. It was disheartening, as if he were talking to a zombie. Her lips were set in a straight line, and she was now just staring blankly in front of her.

 

"And what did he say?" Dongwoon asked again.

 

"Nothing," she shook her head lightly. "He left me a letter."

 

Now Dongwoon was unsure if he should push the topic further. One look at Summer, and he knew that he shouldn't, but she spoke.

 

"It's okay, you can ask. We're going to be married after all."

 

He made a sound, it was between a scoff and a laugh. "I have nothing more to ask," Dongwoon answered her. He wasn't sure if it was because he was feeling jealous, or protective of her, or if it was just plain curiosity. He didn't know anymore.

 

"Alright, but if you were going to ask what was in the letter, I don't know. I didn't read it." She said, finally looking at him, and then he looked at her.

 

"Why not?" He wondered, only realizing that he spoke the words in his mind aloud when she replied.

 

She shrugged her shoulders. "They're just words. They don't mean anything now." She put her hand over his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

 

Dongwoon watched her as she slid off the hood of the car. "Let's go, I'm getting cold." She told him, and gave him a slight smile, then headed inside his car.

 

He followed suit once he heard her door slam shut, and then he thought. Words can change everything.

 

She was sad, he saw. As they were driving home, all he could think of was her staring at the fogged up window, doodling sheep on it. He smiled because to him, he saw a child; of all the things, she chose to draw sheep.

 

Moving his hand away from the stick shift, he grabbed hold of her wrist. "Things will get better, you'll see."

 

 

 

Dongwoon zoned out of that flashback as the door opened. He quickly straightened up and looked to see a familiar looking man in a black suit and coat.

 

"Did you do what I asked?" He asked the man.

 

The man nodded and approached the table, dropping a notecard with an address scribbled on it.

 

"Good," was all Dongwoon said as he brought forth an envelope on the table top, and pushed it towards the man, who picked up the envelope, tilted his head forward, then turned to leave.

 

It was as if nothing happened, and the only reminder that the man was ever even there was the  piece of paper that was now on the desk.

 

------

 

 

"That's enough," Shota said, moving the shot glasses as far away from Jiyong as he could manage, followed by the whiskey ones. There were two empty bottles of Patron, and he was slowly making his way through a bottle of Black Label. Shota made a tsk-ing sound and shook his head. This wasn't healthy at all, both physically and emotionally.

 

Jiyong groaned and reached for the glass, which was only shoved away by Shota. He didn't care as they fell to the floor, this was his bar after all. And one of the high end ones, at that. Nope, they weren't going any place near an underground club, or a drug den. That was for sure. "Just let me have it," Jiyong said.

 

"Let's get you home, man." Shota told him as he tried to get Jiyong up, only to be shrugged off by a very difficult man.

 

"Leave me alone!" He yelled, and Shota stayed put.

 

"What am I supposed to do, Sho? Go home? I don't have a home anymore! I don't. She was my home!"

 

"Now that place is just a dump filled with furniture." He said, a tinge of remorse creeped into his voice, only to be overpowered by anger and rage.

 

"I am such an ! Christ!" Jiyong yelled in frustration, his voice only audible enough for Sho to hear as it was drowned out by the blaring music.

 

"Years down the drain, and for what? Some quick ? It wasn't even worth it; nothing was ever worth it. How is anything ever going to amount to her?"

 

"I had her, Sho. Right there, and I just threw her away. Like garbage. But she isn't! You know we were supposed to go backpacking in Europe? And then she wanted to go to Ireland, the Northern one. She wanted to see the castles. And everything. ---I'm an . She's getting married tomorrow, and I am an ." Jiyong said, burying his face in his arms as he leaned over the table.

 

"What am I supposed to do??" He asked, sounding most definitely defeated.

 

Not knowing what to do once hearing his friend lose his mind, Shota said "But you did try to get her back, that was something."

 

"No it wasn't, not with Mr. Perfect lingering around on the sidelines. You know I'm pretty sure it was his fault too. If it weren't for him, she would've at least thought about coming with me--" Jiyong said, but was cut off by his friend.

 

"If you didn't cheat on her in the first place, none of this would have even happened. You broke her heart--" Shota tried to reason out.

 

"Well she broke mine too!" Jiyong yelled at him, as if he wasn't hearing anyone but himself. His eyes were close to becoming slits; he was glaring. But all Shota did was sigh. Nothing he would say or do would mend Jiyong, but at least he should be able to shed some light on the situation. "I was doing my own research while we were at the company. Eli's such a talkative drunk, once he gets the strong stuff. And I just happened to overhear his conversation with Dawn. One rainy evening, talking about their little sister." 

 

"You were totally eavesdropping." Jiyong said, which only caused Shota to give the almost wasted Ji a disgusted face. 

 

"Does that even really matter now? No? So shut up, Ji. I'm talking." He said, and Jiyong only let out a pout; and that made Shota cringe.

 

"As I was saying, it turns out that Summer and the elder Mrs. Park had some kind of contract. She and Dongwoon were already engaged before they even knew. But then Summer said she didn't want that because she wasn't just some piece in a board game. She wanted her freedom, bro. So she told her mom she'd be on her own starting that day, and she'd find that one guy, and apparently among all the suitors because Dawn said she had plenty, Summer would only be with the one she saw she had a future with. In the…marrying sense--"

 

"She knew she was going to marry me?" Jiyong said in a soft, astonished voice; his eyes were wide.

 

"Shut up idiot, I'm not done yet. But yes, she chose your stupid ." Shota glared. "And because you blew everything away, she got back into that deal. Now her mom told her that this phony relationship of yours was a flop because you don't find love just like that, and then, she was to marry Dongwoon as originally planned. So technically, you cost her her life, and love, and freedom."

 

"Anyway, Ji. What I'm trying to say is, she had more to lose than you. I mean, you're bound to meet so many other people, and fall in love again. So please, don't hate her for being angry at you. She's only angry because, you're probably the only person she seriously loved."

 

The astonishment that danced along Jiyong face was now gone. He took his jacket off his chair, crumpled it and buried his face in it, and yelled a string full of the most colorful words anyone would ever hear. "I don't want anyone but her!!!" He yelled at no one in particular.

 

"Maybe I shouldn't have told him…" Shota said, more to himself than anyone else.

 

Jiyong was about to come back with a smart comment when he noticed a man in office attire approach his table. Shota turned around to see what Jiyong was staring at, for he stared an awfully long time.

 

"Kwon Jiyong?" The man asked.

 

"Who's looking?" Jiyong replied as he sat back straight, looking the man in the eye.

 

The man shrugged, "I was told to give you this." And he held forward a short manila envelope.

 

All cocky, Jiyong replied. "I don't take envelopes from stranger--" He began but was cut off by Shota smacking him on the head.

 

"Just take the damn package, you ! What more have you got to lose?!" Shota told him, clearly annoyed. It seemed to Jiyong that Sho was familiar with the guy since he wasn't being cautious. But where did they meet one another? Strange, Jiyong thought as he begrudgingly took the package. But Shota was the epitome of creepy.

 

The man made a slight bow and turned to leave. And Jiyong cautiously opened the envelope. In it was a one-way business class ticket to London and on it a post-it that read: INCHEON AIRPORT; 8PM. And that was all there was. No name from sender, no address, or whatever. Everything was exactly for him. But what the was this? He asked himself. He wasn't going on some trip he knew nothing about. That was perfectly stupid. And a trip right now? He couldn't, because right now, he was going to down himself in deliciously bitter alcohol.

 

He looked at Shota though, a tad bit confused. Shota shrugged. "If anyone was going to kill you, they'd have done it by now." He said.

 

And then Jiyong thought, maybe stupid was what he needed.

 

"There's no point in staying, after all."

 

 

 

a/n

I NEED YOUR HELP. My friend is going to S.Korea tomorrow and I'm asking him to buy me One of a Kind. That's fine right? Since Korea's so far away. :((( ALSO, I'M GOING TO HAVE TWIN(Siblings)!! :(((( MY LIFE IS LIKE....KABOOM RIGHT NOW. :(((( ALSO, I HAVE TO SEE A ROCKET TO THE MOON BEFORE THEY DISBAND OH MY GOD. :((((( I'M SO SORRY FOR THIS I THINK I HAVE TO GET A BIT MORE SLEEP. :((((