XI

Chasing Summer

 

"You can let go of my hand now," she told him as soon as she knew that they were far away from Jiyong.

 

He thought about it while he looked at their hands together, fingers intertwined. "No, I think I'm good like this." He answered her with a smile.

 

She was stunned. "Dongwoon, it's fine. He's not near us anymore," she said as they were entering the ally to where they parked.

 

"I know," he answered her as if everything was normal.

 

"Then why are you still holding my hand?" She asked him. Whenever she was with him, she was nothing but blunt. There was a rising feeling in her stomach though. She thought over and over again, 'Why is he holding my hand?' She tugged at him to stop, but he dodged her question by asking his own.

 

"I'm hungry. Do you want to eat? Let's get a burger," he told her and happily walked on. She stayed put though, feet planted on the ground. She wasn't planning on moving until he gave her an answer.

 

"Dongwoon-" she called his name, but he only stopped her.

 

"Come on. I'll get you fries." Tempting. She was very tempted to take him up on his offer.

 

Her brows furrowed and she pouted. "Answer my question," she told him.

 

"Large fries? How does McDonald's sound? Hm?" She pursed her lips and contemplated. She hasn't been to McDonald's since she moved back in with her parents and she was hungry. Alright, that did it.

 

"Fine, but you'll answer me later. I won't leave until you give me an answer." She said and got in his car.

 

He laughed. "So you are hungry." He said before getting in the car as well.

 

---

 

They got takeout and found themselves still in the car, parked in an old drive-in cinema. They were experiencing their 'down,' and they usually ended up hungry when that happened, ergo the huge intake of fast food in one go.

 

Once she was satisfied with finishing her ice cream, she spoke up breaking the comfortable silence brought about by a quick meal of dessert.

 

"So? Won't you answer me now?" She asked, feeling high and mighty.

 

He shrugged his shoulders as if saying he didn't know.

 

"Seriously? You're gonna keep on dodging this?" She asked him.

 

As of now, she was really comfortable with him. All the time their parents gave them for each other was for their "getting-to-know-you" phase. Despite her sudden increased visits to Rai's den, she did get to know him; she kind of liked what she saw in him. She saw he was a warm person, friendly, caring, protective, strong. Yet at the same time he wanted someone to understand him, care for him, keep him warm too. Somehow, she saw a little part of herself in him. She wished though that they met in different circumstances, one that didn't include arranged marriages or drugs. Though while she was thinking this, she was interrupted by the sounds coming out of her companion's mouth.

 

"Ah, you're really smart you know? But sometimes you're really dense." He said.

 

"Eh??" She asked, puzzled since the only thing that ran through her head a few moments ago were the thoughts of him. 

 

"Isn't it obvious? The reasons why I put up with all your antics?" He asked her.

 

"Hmmmmm.. No?" She answered him honestly. She knew she was playing dumb but that was because she didn't think that he could ever see her that way. Also, they've done reckless things together. What part of him would find her attractive after seein her high and wasted? She didn't know.

 

"It's because I like you," he said, looking her straight in the eye. He seemed serious.

 

Her eyes widened in shock. What? No, this couldn't be happening. This isn't real. She knew they were engaged but...putting actually feelings into their arrangement? That was something she wasn't ready for.

 

Then he smiled; the crinkles near his eyes emphasized that he was laughing. He shook his head and just bit into the burger he was eating.

 

"Ahhhh~~ you're kidding. You can't like me. At least not after you've seen me like this. Stop teasing me, punk." she said thoughtfully before she pursed her lips and then picked on her fries before eating them.

 

He didn't know when it happened, but it did. Somewhere in between the vices and virtues, work and play, he fell for her. Maybe it was because she listened to him, or because she never once backed down or gave in to him; she was always her own person. Or maybe it was because he saw her cry, and it broke his heart, and all he wanted to do was help her forget. He didn't know how, he didn't know when, but it happened. He did fall for her. He just didn't want her to know. At least not yet.

 

 

"I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow. I'll have to be there for some time. Don't miss me too much," he again.
 
She played along, putting a smirk on her face. "I'm pretty sure you'll do all the missing between us." She said.
 
"I most probably will," he said. He was amused she even said that.
 
"You'll get me all the UNIQLO clothes I want. Okay? That's a consequence for just telling me now," She pointed a french fry at him and then ate it, and he laughed.
 
"Okay, okay." He said. The night went on well.

 

---

 

Despite that one incident, everything carried on normally. She decided she'd let go of Jiyong and try to move forward. He already apologized, and she was engaged. She had nothing more to do with him but even though she wanted everything to do with him, she was under a contract.

 

'Trapped forever,' she thought. The only perk she had here was that she was at least acquainted with her husband-to-be. Though she couldn't look at him romantically, she could look at him as a friend. A good friend; she was thankful for that. She also knew that being druggies had to stop. She felt that he only went along with it to appease her, and she didn't want to abuse him and his kindness so she told him they couldn't do it anymore..for both of their sakes. They'd start fresh, and if they did want to hang out they'd go to the mall or the park or have dinner somewhere and watch a movie, which they did. A lot. The club scene was no more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n

I realized I'd start getting busy next week. So for now, an update! ^^

also, there's always going to be a Jiyong! Jiyong is forever! <3 :))