Unpacking

Toy Cars

            Youngjae had found the apartment over the internet, called a realtor, and told her that he would take it. Walking in, he immediately saw the kitchen and dining room. Glossy white cabinets lined the right side of the room with a small table in the middle. A few more footsteps into the apartment was the living room. On the right wall was a bookshelf with a tan couch that sat in front of it. Boxes of their personal items took up most of the floor space in the middle of the small living room. The movers had taken all of their belongings a day ahead of them and dropped everything off in the apartment.The smaller stack, consisting of five boxes, was all Youngjae's items. In them were mostly just clothes and a few other necessary items. Looking over at Daehyun’s stack, there was twice as many boxes. Youngjae didn’t know how someone could acquire so much, but he had managed to do it.

 

            Upon stepping into the apartment, Daehyun had dodged all of the boxes and headed straight for the couch. He dropped his bag and flopped face first onto the soft cushion. “This couch is a lot better than the one you had at your apartment,” Daehyun sighed with relief. They had walked all the way from the bus station to their new apartment, which was apparently a lot farther than the two of them thought.

 

            “Yah, get up! We have things to do. First we have to get settled then we are going to go meet your friend, right?” Youngjae slapped Daehyun’s back and gestured for him to move.

 

            Face down in the couch, Daehyun replied. His words were a muffled mess and completely incomprehensible.

 

            Crossing his arms across his chest, Youngjae glared down at the lump on the couch. "You know, you could at least tilt your head so that I could understand what you're saying."

 

            Turning towards Youngjae, Daehyun looked up at his annoyed friend. "I said, we’re meeting him tomorrow. So we have time today to just relax."

 

            "Relax? We have a lot of unpacking to do! You have twice as much stuff as I have too! It’s a good thing that most of your stuff was still in boxes from when you moved to Seoul or else it would have taken us forever to pack everything up."

 

            Walking over to the pile of cardboard boxes, Youngjae gave the bottom one a little kick. "What’s in all of these anyway? You have so much crap."

 

            Daehyun quickly sat up and looked at Youngjae, “Stop kicking those! I have breakable items!”

 

            Sighing, Youngjae stopped messing with Daehyun’s things to pick up a container with his name on it. “Well, get moving, you have a lot to unpack. I’m going to take my things to my room and put them away. Call me if you need any help with yours.”

 

            With that, Youngjae took three of his boxes and walked to his room. The two bedrooms were connected to a hallway that opened up to the space in between the dining area and the living room.

 

            Slowly sliding off the couch and landing on the floor, Daehyun scooted over to his stack. He didn’t even know where to start. Picking the box that was closest to him, he opened it up.  Clothes filled the first box. Thinking to himself that he would slowly unpack them as he wore them, he pushed the first box off to the side.

 

            Reaching into the second box, Daehyun pulled out the pictures that had sat in his entertainment center. Looking at the smiling faces of his friends, he was glad to be near them all again. He hadn’t told anyone that he was coming back to Busan except for Yongguk and Himchan. Daehyun wanted to surprise Junhong and Jongup with his return and a few gifts that he had brought them from Seoul.

 

            It took a few trips to his room to get all of his boxes moved out of the living room. One last box still sat in the living room. Pulling it over to the couch, he sat down and opened it up. Inside of it were just a few odds and ends: some books, a few cds that didn’t fit in the other box, and at the bottom there was something wrapped in a towel. Knowing exactly what it was, he reached down, slowly brought it out of the box, and set it on his lap.

 

            Carefully unwrapping the tattered white towel, Daehyun revealed the green racecar. Chips of paint had come off, there were dents in the wood, and the wheels squeaked when they moved, but it was still the racecar that Youngjae had given him all those years ago. Looking at the toy in his hands brought a smile to Daehyun’s face; he had kept this car and it made him wonder if Youngjae had kept his as well.

 

            In the midst of reminiscing, Daehyun heard footsteps behind him. Quickly, he wrapped the car back up in the towel and put it back in the box.

 

            “Well, I’m done with all of my stuff. Do you need any help with yours?” Youngjae walked up behind Daehyun and flipped himself over the back of the couch, landing next to him.

 

            “Uh, if you want to, I still have some boxes left in my room that I haven’t unpacked.  You could help me with those. This is the last box in here,” Daehyun replied as he put the lid on the container in front of him.

 

            “Okay, I’ll meet you in there. Bring the CD player from my room when you come, that way it will make the time go by faster,” Youngjae said as he got up from the couch and headed down the hallway towards Daehyun’s room.

 

            Waiting until Youngjae was safely out of sight, Daehyun took the box and shoved it to the back of the closet. Closing the door, he called out to Youngjae, “Hey, what do you want to listen to?”

         

            “I don’t care, just something upbeat,” Youngjae hollered from the bedroom.

 

            Grabbing a stack of CDs that he had set on the bookshelf, Daehyun went to join Youngjae. It was going to take a while to unpack all of Daehyun’s things, but having Youngjae help him was definitely going to make the chore more enjoyable.


 

 


 

Hello readers! I hope you like this chapter! I know it is another short one, but hey, only a week since the last chapter was posted! I am going to go back to posting one chapter every two weeks again. Sorry if that is disappointing, but the next one will be worth the wait, trust me. I have big things planned for it! So, the next chapter will be posted on May 16th! As always, don't forget to comment and subscribe! Also, don't forget to follow me on tumblr here. If you don't want to subscribe or follow, then you can always check on updates about the story here.

Oh and for those who don't know, I'm a guy. This information may seem irrelevant, but some people have reccommended this fic and have referred to me as a girl. So I'm just saving some people the embarrasment. ^.^