On the Bus

Toy Cars

 

            It had taken some convincing for Youngjae to get Daehyun to come with him. Leaving Seoul meant that Daehyun would have to quit his job and be reliant on Youngjae.  It took a lot of reassuring that it was okay and that Youngjae had everything covered. He had already found a nice apartment in Busan with two bedrooms, a fair sized living room, and best of all, a rooftop deck. Granted this one was accessible for all of the tenants of the building, but from the pictures on the internet, it had a great view. The thing that had finally convinced Daehyun to go with him was the promise. Youngjae promised Daehyun that they would never be separated again; therefore, he told Daehyun that he had no choice in the matter.

 

            The two of them went to Busan by bus. Youngjae had tried his hardest to convince Daehyun that they should take the train because it would’vebeen much faster and more comfortable than a bus. Daehyun had won though. They wouldn’t be able to meet up with Daehyun’s friend for a few days, so what was the rush? Plus, the train goes so fast, that the view becomes a bit of a blur. It was whatever though; at least Youngajae had convinced Daehyun to go with him.

 

            Upon stepping into the bus, Daehyun could see that Youngjae wasn’t pleased. He nostrils were flared, forehead wrinkled, and eyes slightly squinted. It really wasn’t all that bad though. They had waited in a line at the bus station for an hour just to purchase their tickets, sat in a crowed waiting room for even longer, and then their rude bus driver was hurrying all the passengers on the bus, complaining about being a few minutes late.

 

            Daehyun had told Youngjae that he wanted to take the bus instead of the train because he said that he could see the view better, but really he just wanted to spend more time sitting next to the other. The train only took about three hours to get from Seoul to Busan, but the bus took about six or more, depending on the traffic.

 

            Daehyun had chosen the window seat and Youngjae the aisle. Putting his headphones on and pulling out a book, Youngjae was determined to make the trip go by as fast as possible.  Daehyun chuckled at him and then looked out the window as the bus started to roll away from the station.

 

            An hour into the trip, Daehyun noticed that he was no longer focusing on what was outside the window, but on the reflection of his friend in the window. Youngjae was fully immersed on the words in front of him. Daehyun watched his friend flip the crisp pages of the book with excitement. His mouth was slightly ajar as he read each word with enthusiasm. Youngjae had just started it when they boarded the bus, and he was almost halfway through the story already.

 

            Another two hours had passed and Youngjae finished his book, putting it back in his bag that sat between his feet. Without something to keep his mind active, Daehyun saw Youngjae fight to stay awake, but eventually succumb to sleep. His arms were crossed and his chin was resting on his chest. Eyes fluttering in his sleep, Daehyun wondered what the boy was dreaming about. Just as Daehyun was look away, Youngjae shifted in his seat, his head moving from his chest and resting on Daehyun’s shoulder.

 

            A smile came across Daehyun’s face. Tilting his head over, he kissed Youngjae on the top of his head. Using his hand that wasn’t trapped between himself and his sleeping companion; he swiped away the stands of hair that lay on Youngjae’s face. When looking at him, Daehyun couldn’t help but to feel that nervous rumbling in the pit of his stomach. The feeling had been growing since that day that they visited Namsan Tower. He felt the urge to stoke Youngjae’s cheek, to bend down and kiss him. Frightened he might wake him up, Daehyun resisted. Now wasn’t the time anyway. No, he wanted Youngjae to be awake. Daehyun wanted to see the others face, his reaction, to their fist kiss.

 

            Daehyun was also worried. He didn’t even know if Youngjae was interested in men. He had never mentioned having a relationship with a man or a woman. Daehyun had tried to be in relationships before, but had never gotten past the first kiss. There was never that spark or those cliché fireworks that he was supposed to feel. This time was different. Before, with the other people, he didn’t have that heavy feeling in the bottom of his stomach. They didn’t make him smile whenever he looked at them. This time was definitely different.

 

            Another three hours passed before they reached their stop in Busan. Shaking Youngjae’s arm, Daehyun woke him up.

 

            “Hey, Youngjae. We’re here. Wake up sleepy head,” Daehyun whispered into the other’s ear.

 

            Slowly, Youngjae removed himself from Daehyun’s shoulder and rubbed his eyes. Without saying anything, he grabbed his bag and stood up, still half asleep, and hit his head on the upper shelves of the bus where the bigger bags laid.

 

            “Ouch!” whined Youngjae, as he stood hunched over rubbing the back of his head.

 

            “Be careful standing up! You might bump your head,” Daehyun covered his mouth, trying to hold in his laughing.

 

            Youngjae turned around and glared at Daehyun before picking up his bag again. As they both exited the bus, Daehyun watched as Youngjae stepped onto the pavement. Turning around, he waited for Daehyun to join him. The warm sunlight beat down against his skin as soon as he stepped outside. Looking over at Youngjae, he met his eyes. They had changed from the sleepy eyes that he had seen only a minute ago, now they were full of determination. Coming to Busan was only the fist step to find the killers and Youngjae was ready for the hard road ahead. Daehyun knew that he would be beside Youngjae every step of the way, his feelings for his friend would have to wait, right now, and they had business to attend to. 

 


I know this chapter is really short and I am sorry for that. However, to make it up to you guys, I am going to try and write one once a week. They will be short like this one though. Because of school, it would be easier for me to do this becase they take less time than larger chapters. So, by next Thursday, the 2nd of May , I will have another shorter chapter up! I hope you all like this chapter! Don't forget to comment and subscribe! Thank you all! Also, don't forget to follow me on tumblr here. If you don't want to subscribe, then you can always check on updates about the story here.